X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4 (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Anonymous to registered customer conversion (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=66713)

BCSE 07-30-2013 03:52 AM

Re: Anonymous to registered customer conversion

I can see two main uses of it:

1. The user is created first and then you assign an order to it
or
2. The customer hasn't created a user first and you want to create one for them.

I think having both options available are important. Some customers are as 'savvy' and you wouldn't want to make them register first, or maybe you want to do the legwork for them. All the info is already in the order and most people use email as login, so just create a dummy password that has to be changed.

So I think having both options is important, don't you guys?

Carrie

quietcoolone 07-30-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSE
I can see two main uses of it:

1. The user is created first and then you assign an order to it
or
2. The customer hasn't created a user first and you want to create one for them.

I think having both options available are important. Some customers are as 'savvy' and you wouldn't want to make them register first, or maybe you want to do the legwork for them. All the info is already in the order and most people use email as login, so just create a dummy password that has to be changed.

So I think having both options is important, don't you guys?

Carrie

In my experience most customers go online to check on their orders the realize they don't have an account. They then create one but soon realize they is no order history etc. So option 2 would be most beneficial.

Option 1 also makes sense because it won't require any additional work on the customer end. Customers email is used to register and assigned a generic password which the customer can change after login.

BCSE 07-31-2013 05:47 AM

We usually have #2 as an issue. They don't realize they didn't create an account. We'll likely do both.

I'm going to see how hard this is to do. I need you guys to reply as to what versions of X-cart you want this for.

thanks,

Carrie

quietcoolone 07-31-2013 06:17 AM

carpeperdiem 07-31-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

We usually have #2 as an issue. They don't realize they didn't create an account. We'll likely do both.

I'm going to see how hard this is to do. I need you guys to reply as to what versions of X-cart you want this for.

Hi Carrie,
My workflow is:
1. Make the Customer a registered user; I am now doing this the hard way (copy/paste each field)
2. Identify the customer userid in phpMyAdmin
3. Edit the order in phpMyAdmin - table: xcart_orders - set userid from 'empty' to the new userid of the newly registered customer.

One thing I am not sure about: Points history? Do we have to manually apply points for the retroactive order(s)? I'm guessing yes. That would be OK with me...

I think the "magic button" that is beyond my skillset is:

1. capture customer name/address/email and create a new registration, with default password 'password' and set "must change password at next login" to 'checked'

2. then, once customer is registered (back on the order page) -- assign the anon order to the newly registered customer.

I'm in 4.5.4

ADDISON 07-31-2013 06:21 AM

4.5 and 4.6

connemara 08-02-2013 01:22 PM

ramdial 08-02-2013 09:44 PM

BCSE 08-08-2013 07:40 AM

We almost have this ready, any good name ideas for the mod?

Carrie

carpeperdiem 08-08-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

We almost have this ready, any good name ideas for the mod?

How about: "BCSE fix for X-Cart anonymous customer defect"

LOL

I was speaking to a rep from a trade show yesterday, and somehow, I managed to let slip, "but your show is just a bunch of yentas with business cards..."

That didn't get me the results I was looking for. Let's try again...

"BCSE Register Anonymous Customer Mod"

?