X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   General questions (X-Cart 5) (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   xcart test site policy? (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=74336)

Iggy 08-20-2016 06:30 PM

xcart test site policy?

hello, i was just curious if anyone can tell me the policy regarding separate test installations....

i am more familiar with softwares like vbulletin which will allow a separate non-live installation for test purposes...for example www.mysite.com/live and www.mysite.com/test....

is this possible, and or allowed? any informations on transferring the database/url etc?

i also didnt see an off switch anywhere for testing/updating that you usually see so im curious what the idea is.

cflsystems 08-20-2016 07:58 PM

Re: xcart test site policy?

You can install separate copy for testing/development free of charge. As long as it is not live and accessible by the public. You can place it in a subdirectory or subdomain - whatever works for you.
There is a switch top left to close the store

Iggy 08-20-2016 08:19 PM

great to hear it, thank you for the information :)

how about properly restoring the live sites database to a test installation? is there any documentation on this? btw we do have shell access and dedicated servers etc so its just a matter of ensuring the proper steps

razortw 08-22-2016 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy
how about properly restoring the live sites database to a test installation? is there any documentation on this? btw we do have shell access and dedicated servers etc so its just a matter of ensuring the proper steps

You just need to copy the files to a new location, and then dump the database and import the SQL file to the new one.
That's pretty much it.

Iggy 08-22-2016 01:08 PM

hmm, sorry im still just some confused...

so beyond the config.php file settings, there is nothing tying it to that url and the live database can be restored onto the test url is this correct?

i have worked with other softwares that it was required to change admincp settings,(while leaving browser open) THEN dump the sql so that the db restore will properly align to the test url...is why i ask...

totaltec 08-24-2016 03:52 AM

You don't need to change anything in the admin, the URL is not stored in the DB.

herber@wirehub.nl 08-26-2016 02:23 AM

We do this all the time for our test server.
-Export/import SQL database
- Rsync the entire X-Cart folder
- Manually edit the config.php to adjust the URL to the URL of your testserver location (ours is a server in our internal network, not accessible from outside, so no need to close the store on the testserver).

That's it.