X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Dev Questions (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   CMS Manager with built in HTML editor (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=5272)

virtualdynamix 12-12-2003 02:58 PM

I have added a rotating banner on the left column, but it does not show when I click on a product in my cart. It will show on the main welcome page, and categories page. But, those are the only pages that it shows on. Is it possible to edit some .tpl files so that it shows on all customer pages?

Thank you,
Virtual Dynamix

leon 12-12-2003 04:14 PM

Use JavaScripts, they do allow insertion in TPL files.

groovico 12-13-2003 11:24 AM

Re: x-cart cms for $49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmaworld
Quote:

Originally Posted by prang
Hi all,

Just a quicky, I found a CMS package at $49.00 from seo-cms.com/sitemap.html. They say "Seo-Cms online store easily incorporates the popular x-cart shopping cart into it's Content Management System based on SEO-CMS template control"

I was just wondering if any one had tried them.

is $49.00 per Single Domain OUCH :!:

$49 aint bad, but my goodness does that thing look a mess, idea is good, the program looks as rough as they come! 8O

leon 12-13-2003 11:43 AM

Thus the price probably. I wouldnt consider it myself until some brave user tries it himself and tells us about his success stories using it.

jpsowin 12-13-2003 12:01 PM

I doubt I would use that SEO CMS if they paid me to use it. There are so many better free ones out there---including the one in this thread! ;)

chikira 12-13-2003 12:05 PM

Xcart CMS V2

Hi Guys,

Well it seems as if everyone wants a good solution for CMS for xcart. Please post what you need or would like to see in this release and i will try and build it.

So far I have built:
  • Create / Edit Static Pages
    New Intergration of HTMLAREA 3.0 (May replace with SPAW HTML Editor)
    Upload Images Files
    Edit CSS
    Edit PHP
    Edit Template
    Rename / Delete / View Files
    Mime Support for 30 File Types
    Download files to your Hard Drive for offline editing
    Easy Configuration
    Ability to drop into any version of X-Cart (as it is a seperate program and not directly intergrated)
    Ability to edit any website (Non X-Cart Sites)
    Compatable with HTML CATALOG!
    Reference Lists for Smarty, PHP, MYSQL (for other geeks like me)
    Development Reference Docs
Still in progress:
  • Instant Template Creation
    Rotating Content Groups
    PHPMyAdmin Intergration
    PHP Code Genie 1.4 (for quick PHP / MySQL code generation)
    PHP Data Validation Libraries (More geek stuff for advanced programmers)
    X-Cart Website Generation (using the X-Cart framework and Smarty)
    Non X-Cart Website Generation (For those who use this without X-Cart Framework and Smarty)
    Add On Modules (You can code your own using premade templates)
    Block Manager (Kind of like PHP-Nukes Blocks)
    Choice of 2 Column or 3 Column Website (or you can create your own template)
    Different Admin Levels (May or may not add this depending on demand)
    Customizable headers / footers

I looked at that SEO Template system and I agree, that damned thing is nasty looking (not biased here!). I am also not sure just how much control if will give you over pages inside X-Cart. I wonder if anyone has tried it yet?

Anyway I am working on this in my spare time and I plan to use this as my future site manager as its customized with everything I need and my clients need to maintain thier own sites. It will allow for easy modification of sites. I am making this for X-Cart and Non X-Cart sites as my partner in crime (and wife) is not a programmer but would like a way to drop in some CMS system into exisitng sites and edit sites to her hearts content!

If I have missed anything obvious relating to X-Cart let me know! :twisted:

leon 12-13-2003 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsowin
I doubt I would use that SEO CMS if they paid me to use it. There are so many better free ones out there---including the one in this thread! ;)

Which one are you referring to ?

leon 12-13-2003 12:34 PM

Re: Xcart CMS V2

Quote:

Originally Posted by chikira
Hi Guys,

Well it seems as if everyone wants a good solution for CMS for xcart. Please post what you need or would like to see in this release and i will try and build it.

If I have missed anything obvious relating to X-Cart let me know! :twisted:

Well you are the Master, thanx, please let us know how it comes out.

One thing you could add to it is the functionality of multilanguage like Xcart, not that it is ecsenctial but it would be great.

chikira 12-13-2003 01:08 PM

X-Cart Languages

You mean an easier way to edit the languages / add elements etc?

If so thats a good idea I will take into consideration.

jpsowin 12-13-2003 01:08 PM

I would love to see content versioning... Drupal and Wiki's have this feature and it is a must for many people. It would show who edited the document, what changes they made, and would allow you to rollback to an older version.

leon: I was referring to the $49 SEO CMS. It's no good.

leon 12-14-2003 07:15 AM

Re: X-Cart Languages

Quote:

You mean an easier way to edit the languages / add elements etc?

If so thats a good idea I will take into consideration.

Yep, great.

leon 12-14-2003 07:15 AM

Quote:

leon: I was referring to the $49 SEO CMS. It's no good.

I figured that.

DataViking 12-15-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

I agree

chikira 12-15-2003 09:10 AM

CMS Manager

Just a quick update on progress...

I am beta testing with some of my clients and so far so good. I have added a language editor for which ever is the default X-Cart language the store is running which is a requested feature.

I am also attempting content versioning for each edited file using comments in the top of each file. Each edited file with have an embedded time stamp and the name of the author. I am not 100% sure if I will do this in the edited file iteself or in a seperate file (ie "versions.dat") in every folder that contains edit documents. So far I am leaning to the latter for ease of use.

Archiving old files has been another suggestion (for reverting back to older versions where required). This is going to be a challenge to keep usable though I have a couple of ideas.

So far everything is smooth as a babies butt. Static page editing and creation is working perfectly. All editing, viewing uploading and other file functions are working smoothly and the new HTML editor (using a customized version of SPAW) is working perfectly. I have even intergrated the base CSS for X-Cart into it if you are utilizing this system on X-Cart otherwise it defaults to one of my comphrehensive CSS files.

Anyway I am actually concentrating on this project for a few days as I need this product myself for many other older clients and future clients and I will make a demo available very shortly on a test site so you can all check it out.

This version is going to be a commercial release but I have not decided on a pricing structure yet as I have spent a lot of my work time on this but it will not be too much, I may even just leave it to donations.

So to round up, Demo coming soon, progress is great, screenshots coming very shortly, gimme yer feedback!

:twisted:

prang 12-15-2003 12:17 PM

CMS Manager

Chikira,

I am new to all this so forgive me if I sound ignorant!

I was wondering if you could tell me if your forthcoming wysiwyg mod can
be used in the product modify detailed descriptions box. Or is it only for the embedded static pages linked to the help box. I am looking for a way to input product details quickly without haven to type it into Dreamweaver first then past the HTML code into x-cart.

Also can you tell me how to add addition product text into my product pages (outside the product details area) preferably in its own box like the related products box or Customers' rating box. I donБ─≥t want to put this info in the Template as the text will be product specific.

And finally can I help you beta test your "new baby"

Lloyd

jpsowin 12-15-2003 12:27 PM

Very cool. You could also just have the old versions stored in a table... like have a version column and auto increment. Just an idea.

chikira 12-15-2003 01:02 PM

Prang,

This mod is actually a stand alone package and not directly intergrated into X-Cart. However you have raised a good point regarding editing product descriptions. As such I am going to add a module that allows you to directly edit the product description. Essentially I will try and make a link appear in the Product_Modify.tpl that will link over to "TotalCMS" and allow you to edit and update that products description.

The reason I am making this stand alone is for easier control (sounds a bit backward I know but it makes life much easier) Also the limitations of Smarty and X-Cart prevent me from intergrate the HTML editor directly into X-Cart, I am sure it can be done but I am buggered if I can figure it out!

As for your addtional text for a product. You can place the extra text into one of your extra paramters available. For example on one of my clients sites they use param09 for extra information regarding the manufacturer of the product.

To add this to your cart you need to add an extra <textarea> into main/product_modify.tpl

look for this:
Code:

{if $fillerror ne "" and $product.descr eq ""}<font class=Star>&lt;&lt;</font>{/if}
  </td>
</tr>

and just after it insert this

Code:

<tr>
  <td valign="top" class=ProductDetails>Extra Information</td>
  <td valign="top" class=ProductDetails>
    <textarea name="param09" cols="50" rows="10">{ $product.param09|replace:"
":"\n"|escape:"html"}</textarea>

</td>
</tr>

I haven't tested this but I use similar functions on all my xcart sites.

Hope this helps.

chikira 12-15-2003 01:05 PM

jpsowin

A good idea but that could get out of control with large sites, I will think on it...

I am sure I will think of someway to do it all, just not sure what yet!

prang 12-15-2003 02:52 PM

extra product info

chikira,

Thanks for your speedy response.

But I find the Extra fields area a bit restrictive, I need a large area to put a large table like the "Supplement Facts, Directions" table in:-

http://www.worldhealthproducts.com/customer/product.php?productid=80&cat=13&page=1&XCARTSESSID =73add252e...2462cbe3a526fc.

Lloyd

chikira 12-15-2003 03:44 PM

Without actually doing it this would be how I would approach the problem.
  • Use phpmyadmin or what ever sql manager you use and change the param09 type to "text" rather than "varchar(255)" this will give you a lot more flexability in terms of data containment.
    Create template similar to the one used for featured products and call it something like "nutritional_information.tpl".
    Edit product.tpl and use some sort of IF statement to detect the existance of content in param09 then INCLUDE the template "nutritional_information.tpl".
It should not be too difficult to do as the contents of param09 are automatically passed to the browser through smarty (the template system) even if there are no contents.

This should give you a head start on what you need, I hope it helps.

:twisted: [/list]

prang 12-15-2003 03:53 PM

chikira,

I think its all a bit too complicated for me, Ive only been useing X-Cart for a week.

Thanks anyway.
:cry:
Lloyd

chikira 12-15-2003 04:03 PM

Prang,

Don't worry all it takes is a little playing and a little paitence.

IF you want to make the most of X-Cart have a look at the templates that power certain features (use the webmaster mode to see how it all interconnects)

also checkout http://smarty.php.net

Failing that I can do it for you for a small fee. PM me if you are interested.

chikira 12-15-2003 04:04 PM

By the way another quick note...

I have a module working that edits both the short and long descriptions for TotalCMS I just have to link it to the product_modify.tpl template.

jpsowin 12-15-2003 04:17 PM

I'll be very interested to see a demo store... let us know when you get one up!

leon 12-15-2003 06:06 PM

Well, lets see how STABILITY evolves in this.

chikira 12-15-2003 06:26 PM

Stability is a key factor and one of things I am concentrating on. I am sure there will be a few interesting quirks as there is in every system known to man, but so far it is pretty stable.

I have built this system on a framework that is a proven base so hopefully this will be relativly bug free but heck thats what beta-testing is for. I do not want to rush this out until its finished and I am happy with it.

I will try and have a test store with this intergrated by the end of the week so you can see progress / success and see if this is what you guys want / need!

Anyway, back to coding..... see ya later!

leon 12-15-2003 06:36 PM

Great to hear that, but dont put an angy face, like Marley said:

Dont worry, be happy :wink:

enge919 12-15-2003 10:53 PM

It's getting late and my mind is fried....Can someone help me as to why the fixedsidepanel1 (test 1) at the top right (above the cart menu) does not show the title.

It works just fine in the rotatingsidepanel1 at bottom left menu (test 2)

http://www.dssnutrition.com/store/customer/home.php

enge919 12-15-2003 11:44 PM

Also, I am trying to get the panels to show on the product page as well as the cart and search as discussed earlier on. No matter where I include the code in, say the product.php, I get an error on the product page:

Parse error: parse error in /home/dssnutri/public_html/store/customer/product.php on line 48

What can be done for this?

leon 12-16-2003 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enge919
It's getting late and my mind is fried....Can someone help me as to why the fixedsidepanel1 (test 1) at the top right (above the cart menu) does not show the title.

It works just fine in the rotatingsidepanel1 at bottom left menu (test 2)

http://www.dssnutrition.com/store/customer/home.php

Cant find no logical reason why it doesnt show up. If you're using the same to apply to test 2, with the image for a background as with other menues, it should show up, although I dont know where you are inserting this (the title).

leon 12-16-2003 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enge919
Also, I am trying to get the panels to show on the product page as well as the cart and search as discussed earlier on. No matter where I include the code in, say the product.php, I get an error on the product page:

Parse error: parse error in /home/dssnutri/public_html/store/customer/product.php on line 48

What can be done for this?

Has to be parsed in the TPL files to effectively show up on screen:

chikira 12-16-2003 06:32 AM

enge919

make sure these lines are in the code for "fixedsidepanel_1.php"

Code:

$fixedsidepanel1=mysql_result($resultall,0,"content");
$fsp1title=mysql_result($resultall,0,"title");

I noticed just last night while working on the new CMS system that that the TITLE assign line was missing in some templates for fixed side panels.

My Apologies for the inconvinience. :oops:

That should fix the problem

enge919 12-16-2003 08:24 AM

This worked like a charm chikira!

One more question to leon (or anyone)

What does it mean "Has to be parsed in the TPL files to effectively show up on screen:"
and where is the code supposed to be inserted in the product.php, cart.php and search.php for the panels to show up?

Thanks for the fast responses.

chikira 12-16-2003 09:19 AM

Hi... this is how the system works (breif history of smarty)!

1. PHP Scripts call a library called SMARTY. SMARTY contains a whole load of special functions for processing templates.
2. The PHP scripts then process code from the database or other variables and assigns them (parses them) over to the templates.
3. The templates replace areas that are assigned with the information from the PHP scripts.

Its all interwoven to create a very powerful combination of programming code and easy to use templates.

It take a little practice to get the hang of the advanced features of Smarty but it is a very powerful system when you get the hand of it!

:wink:

chikira 12-16-2003 09:24 AM

Also (forgot to answer this in my last post)

Open those other files in a text editior and look for the line that says

Code:

include ("catagories.php");

and add

Code:

include ("fixedsidepanel_1.php");

just below it.

You will need to do the same for any other elements you are using (ie randomsidepanel_1.php etc...

The new system I am building will make life a lot easier because I personally feel my origanal system has too many flaws. So my advice is use this as a temporary solution until I release TotalCMS.

:twisted: (by the way its not a sad face..... just Twisted... )

enge919 12-16-2003 09:35 AM

Thanks man! That was way too easy. Last night I was adding "require" before "include ("fixedsidepanel_1.php");"

Thanks again...

One other thing,

With the rotating panel, I assume as the name implies, it will rotate different pictures (if this is correct), How do I actually use thus feature?

chikira 12-16-2003 10:10 AM

basically in the administrator you just create a new item with the page type matching the group you want it to match too.

IE if your panel is ROTATINGSIDEPANEL_1 then all the grouped images are going to be "rotatingsidepanel_1" in thier assigned pagetypes.

Hope that helps!

enge919 12-16-2003 10:18 AM

Humm, I did already try that and thats wht sparked the question. Whatever is the last page I create assignd to rotatingsidepanel1 is the only picture that shows.

I know you're hard at work on the new CMS (which I am really looking forward to), but is there possibly another bug in this version? Is anyone else having the same problem?

leon 12-16-2003 01:47 PM

Quote:

Hi... this is how the system works (breif history of smarty)!

1. PHP Scripts call a library called SMARTY. SMARTY contains a whole load of special functions for processing templates.
2. The PHP scripts then process code from the database or other variables and assigns them (parses them) over to the templates.
3. The templates replace areas that are assigned with the information from the PHP scripts.

Its all interwoven to create a very powerful combination of programming code and easy to use templates.

It take a little practice to get the hang of the advanced features of Smarty but it is a very powerful system when you get the hand of it!

:wink:

Couldnt say it any better.

leon 12-16-2003 01:50 PM

Quote:

Also (forgot to answer this in my last post)

The new system I am building will make life a lot easier because I personally feel my origanal system has too many flaws. So my advice is use this as a temporary solution until I release TotalCMS.

:twisted: (by the way its not a sad face..... just Twisted... )

Great news.