X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   General questions (X-Cart 5) (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Migration (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=77347)

Dougrun 11-15-2019 12:05 PM

Migration

I have a xc4 site i want to migrate to xc5. (only because it has a quickbooks online connector - is there one for xc4???)

anyway. we have an xc5 site that is a bust so we want to re-use that license. I know how to change that. I tired the migration tool and it moved products but not their images. I was hoping to move the items, then change the url/license after. Would it be better to install xc5 on the server that xc4 shop is on and then migrate instead?

kevinrm 11-16-2019 01:18 AM

Re: Migration

There used to be one for sure, but I did it and regretted it. "If it were me" (and it was once upon a time) I'd just start over. I mean, you can migrate some products and images, etc, but it was way more headache than it was worth. Build a XC5 development store and slowly move it over manually is my recommendation.

cflsystems 11-16-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougrun
I tired the migration tool and it moved products but not their images.

The migration tool will work for you only if your XC4 store is fairly stock as far database goes. If you have any 3rd party modules or modifications that change the database, add new tables or new fields to XC tables - these will not be accounted for by the migration tool.

So if your store uses any and you are not ok with losing info you will need to do custom database transfer. Which involves knowing what's in XC4 database and how it relates to XC5 database structure and what goes where, etc. And write custom scripts to do the transfer.

As for images not being transferred - it is most likely due to either permissions or incorrect url reference.

BCSE 11-18-2019 07:29 AM

I'm sure a quickbooks online connector could be built for X-cart 4 if you needed it. We'd be happy to look into it if you'd like to drop us an email.

Carrie

memoto 11-18-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougrun
I have a xc4 site i want to migrate to xc5. (only because it has a quickbooks online connector - is there one for xc4???)

anyway. we have an xc5 site that is a bust so we want to re-use that license. I know how to change that. I tired the migration tool and it moved products but not their images. I was hoping to move the items, then change the url/license after. Would it be better to install xc5 on the server that xc4 shop is on and then migrate instead?

This is actually pretty often case. It is usually related to the wrongly set path to the location of the images. And yes, it would be much better to start the migration when both stores are located on the same server.

As for the path - make sure you specify the whole path, including the root folders (it should be like /var/www/old_domain/images/).