X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Refine Filters module released (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65987)

vladimir.gritsenko 01-30-2013 05:53 AM

Refine Filters module released

Hi folks,

we are glad to finally announce our Refine Filters for X-Cart.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/default/files/modules/filter_image-1.png

Customer demo
Admin demo :: Catalog :: Refine Filters :: iGoods->Mac

A lot of efforts was put into designing and development of the module. We focused on making it as easy as possible to set up. To be more certain, you do not need to create all those filters and attributes and assign it to products. Instead, it utilizes already existing extra fields, product options, variants and even Feature Comparison classes. Still it's possible to create special classes for filters - there is page for this in admin area.

Since the module is quite complex we realize that there may be some bugs but we are going to fix it in a timely manner. Do not hesitate to post bugs here or to your HelpDesk accounts. Your improvement ideas are also welcome. Our aim is the ultimate filtering add-on so we are not going to stop developing it.

We'd like to thank ADDISSON for his invaluable help in designing and testing the module.

ADDISON 01-30-2013 06:04 AM

Re: Refine Filters module released

Thank you. But what I did for this important module is very small comparing with your work (my idea about a filtering module from scratch to final work + impressions after testing). The "dirty" job is made by developers, and I would like to thank you all for doing this. I am offering my volunteer work to anyone interested to make XC one of the best platform for e-commerce in the world. It really deserves to be.

ADDISON 01-30-2013 06:15 AM

Of course we have to improve the user interface, finding bugs.

Please note in Admin -> Catalog, the last two menu items are missing (both for filtering). I have white space, but there are links moving the mouse over.

>> update: check the menu from Home page, just after you enter in Admin area.

vladimir.gritsenko 01-30-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADDISON
Of course we have to improve the user interface, finding bugs.

Please note in Admin -> Catalog, the last two menu items are missing (both for filtering). I have white space, but there are links moving the mouse over.

It's a know bug of our demo, not the module buth thanks anyway. We will fix it.

ADDISON 01-30-2013 06:22 AM

It is great you show the attributes which are not available in some combinations. You made them gray, but do not allow check for them. It is sad to check a box in a filter and see "0 product found". I already know that looking of the color of the attribute. Do not allow checking. You will get a full report for all issue I found in about 10 days. As I read from your post, you continue the work to this module after releasing which is great.

not_so_young_greg 01-30-2013 09:47 AM

There is something I do not quite understand about this module: It is said it works with product variants but does it?

Lets create a product that has option class "size" populated with S,M,L. Now lets make it as variants and put 0 in size S - (somebody has just bought your last S). X-cart shows S properly as "out of stock". But one can still filter by size S and get this product listed, even if "in stock only" checkbox is checked.

It does not make much sense for me - I believe if a customer wants to find size S, he should get products that have S available, especially with "in stock only" checked. He filters for S that is in stock, right? Or am I missing something?

ADDISON 01-30-2013 09:54 AM

@not_so_young_greg: I suggested Qualiteam to show all filter attributes. Once you make a selection the others remain visible (gray as texts), but they should be disable as checked (this will avoid situation like checking and getting 0 results - which is stupid. filtering is based on real figures - just see Excel for example).

This module will get more features soon as Qualiteam says, and an user manual too. Please share your opinion here for discussions. Qualiteam will reply you, I am only the person who's testing this module and suggesting issues/improvements.

ADDISON 01-31-2013 01:11 AM

A very important issue is related to Price min-max inputs. Refine Filters should work with X-MultiCurrency. For the moment it is not working.

If you set up 3 currencies, first time you will see $ in price range. But if you change front-end currency to Euro, price ranges remain in USD. Normally if you change the currency, the values in price ranges should change according, from minimum price to the maxim one.

Personally I get rid of symbol $ near input boxes (imagine some currencies are not just one symbol, but letter. But I will update in Filter name, just after Price, inside round brackets, the currency, based also on Front-end currency (e.g. Price (Euro), Price ($), Price ($). In this way it is a clean design, intuitive, which not consuming space (inserting for example USD near input boxes, will brake the layout, imagine how annoying is when changing currencies).

ADDISON 01-31-2013 01:23 AM

>> There is an issue with Assigning product class in product management page. I created before a filter class named Fabric, I would like to assign it, but after I push [Apply] still Undefined, even the filter class is in selector.

vladimir.gritsenko 01-31-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

It is great you show the attributes which are not available in some combinations. You made them gray, but do not allow check for them. It is sad to check a box in a filter and see "0 product found". I already know that looking of the color of the attribute. Do not allow checking. You will get a full report for all issue I found in about 10 days. As I read from your post, you continue the work to this module after releasing which is great.

I've registered it as a feature to our internal bug-tracker. Most likely we will add a setting for it disabled by default. There are many popular filters which allow narrowing the list down to zero. Since it's a real-time information it does not cause much confusion.

vladimir.gritsenko 01-31-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_so_young_greg
There is something I do not quite understand about this module: It is said it works with product variants but does it?

Lets create a product that has option class "size" populated with S,M,L. Now lets make it as variants and put 0 in size S - (somebody has just bought your last S). X-cart shows S properly as "out of stock". But one can still filter by size S and get this product listed, even if "in stock only" checkbox is checked.

It does not make much sense for me - I believe if a customer wants to find size S, he should get products that have S available, especially with "in stock only" checked. He filters for S that is in stock, right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for noticing it. Actually, this is a tricky issue. Let me try to explain.

Imagine there are two classes with two options each, combined in four variants. For example,

Color: Red, Green
Size: S, L

the resulting variants are:

Red S
Red L
Green S
Green L

Now, let's say "Red S" variant is out of stock. How in this case should the filtering behave? In fact, there is no problem if the filters selection is as follows:

Color: Red
Size: S

In this case we can disable "In stock only" filter but what if it's chosen like:

Color: [not selected]

or

Should it disable "In stock only" filter in these particular cases? It's a hard question, isn't it?

This is a very basic variants example. Imagine, there are 10 classes with 10 options each. A customer will have to choose one and only one attribute from each variants-related filter to have "In stock only" react basing on variants stock levels.

Nevertheless, I've registered this in our bugtracker - we will think what can be done here. Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

vladimir.gritsenko 01-31-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

A very important issue is related to Price min-max inputs. Refine Filters should work with X-MultiCurrency. For the moment it is not working.

If you set up 3 currencies, first time you will see $ in price range. But if you change front-end currency to Euro, price ranges remain in USD. Normally if you change the currency, the values in price ranges should change according, from minimum price to the maxim one.

Personally I get rid of symbol $ near input boxes (imagine some currencies are not just one symbol, but letter. But I will update in Filter name, just after Price, inside round brackets, the currency, based also on Front-end currency (e.g. Price (Euro), Price ($), Price ($). In this way it is a clean design, intuitive, which not consuming space (inserting for example USD near input boxes, will brake the layout, imagine how annoying is when changing currencies).

I've registered this bug. We hadn't have a chance to check the compatibility with all paid add-ons before the release.

vladimir.gritsenko 01-31-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

>> There is an issue with Assigning product class in product management page. I created before a filter class named Fabric, I would like to assign it, but after I push [Apply] still Undefined, even the filter class is in selector.

This is something strange. It works fine at our installations. I suggest you to post a support ticket to helpdesk. Please make sure we have an up-to-date access to your server.

not_so_young_greg 01-31-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vladimir.gritsenko
Thanks for noticing it. Actually, this is a tricky issue. Let me try to explain.

Imagine there are two classes with two options each, combined in four variants. For example,

Size: S, L

the resulting variants are:

Red S
Red L
Green S
Green L

Now, let's say "Red S" variant is out of stock. How in this case should the filtering behave? In fact, there is no problem if the filters selection is as follows:

Color: Red

Yes. In this case if "in stock only" is checked it should show nothing. If is unchecked,should show Red S

Quote:

In this case we can disable "In stock only" filter but what if it's chosen like:

Color: [not selected]

or

Should it disable "In stock only" filter in these particular cases? It's a hard question, isn't it?

In my opinion: In your first example color: [not selected] it should show Red S and Green S, if "only in stock" is unchecked. Otherwise should show only Green S.
If a customer wants Red and Green in size S (quite common I think), the filter should behave alike: if "in stock only" is checked, shows Green S (Red S is out of stock), otherwise shows both items.
Quote:

This is a very basic variants example. Imagine, there are 10 classes with 10 options each. A customer will have to choose one and only one attribute from each variants-related filter to have "In stock only" react basing on variants stock levels.

I perfectly know from my experience that variants are confusing and power-consuming.
But what is actually funny is that every filter I have had a look at, had "filter by size" option, obviously designed for apparel stores. And they were all based on option classes, disregarding availability.
But we all know that when a clothing store owner buys a jacket, he buys sizes S,M,L,XL,XXL etc., at least in most cases. And soon he ends up with only L in stock, the thing cannot be reordered because it is last fall collection and so on.

In a case like this filtering by size is useless since most items have all the sizes. If a customer searches for size L, he definitely should have an option "show only what is in stock".
Otherwise this filter is good only for people who search for a quadruple L or XXS - sizes that are not so common.
And adding "in stock only" filter is only confusing because apparently it does not filer by availability.

By the way: what is this filter for? To show in-stock items when "show out of stock items" is checked in apperance settings?

But thanks for your answer. I know you guys will come up with a good solution soon.

ADDISON 01-31-2013 09:49 AM

Did you check your public demo? In my case it has the same issue.

Quote:

This is something strange. It works fine at our installations. I suggest you to post a support ticket to helpdesk. Please make sure we have an up-to-date access to your server.

RoeBoeDog 01-31-2013 11:02 PM

Hello Thanks for the great module.

I love how it can pick up your variants however I have found a issue I can not solve.

Example

I sell some motorcycle helmets and we have the following sizes
S
XS
M
L
XL
XXL

When the variants display on the filter page it displays them in ABC order I need them to display from S to XXl

How do you set the positions to display on items you need NOT by ABC

Thanks

Online Michael 02-01-2013 12:30 AM

I'm guessing this module won't be available for 4.4.X ?

vladimir.gritsenko 02-01-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_so_young_greg
But thanks for your answer. I know you guys will come up with a good solution soon.

Sure, we will do our best to find the best solution. Thank you.

vladimir.gritsenko 02-01-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

It's even more strange now :) We will take a look what the problem is.

vladimir.gritsenko 02-01-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog
Hello Thanks for the great module.

I love how it can pick up your variants however I have found a issue I can not solve.

Example

I sell some motorcycle helmets and we have the following sizes
S
XS
M
L
XL
XXL

When the variants display on the filter page it displays them in ABC order I need them to display from S to XXl

How do you set the positions to display on items you need NOT by ABC

For now, it's not possible to sort attributes and we now realize that it is a problem. ADDISON already pointed this issue out so we planned to implement the sorting ability. It will be included into the module soon.

vladimir.gritsenko 02-01-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Online Michael
I'm guessing this module won't be available for 4.4.X ?

We plan to release Refine Filters for 4.4 branch by the end of February.

vladimir.gritsenko 02-01-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

We've fixed it. RF packages for all versions are re-uploaded to File Area.

ADDISON 02-01-2013 05:14 AM

Question: Feature Comparison module creates in the same way classes like Refine Filter module. If FC is installed is it necessary to use internal Refine Filter class creator? You just offered this feature for those who are not using Feature Comparison.

More thoughts are needed about this info.

vladimir.gritsenko 02-01-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Question: Feature Comparison module creates in the same way classes like Refine Filter module. If FC is installed is it necessary to use internal Refine Filter class creator? You just offered this feature for those who are not using Feature Comparison.

More thoughts are need about this info.

Exactly! Filter classes are basically a clone of Feature Comparison functionality.

However, it may be used together if, for example, a merchant doesn't want to use his FC classes for filtering or there is no FC module at all but extra fields and variants in not an option for some reason.

philrisk 02-01-2013 07:09 AM

One thing no one has thought about is duplicate content in Google and the affect on your SEO.

If the filters created their on additions on the page url then it would significantly increase your Google ranking and traffic. At the moment the filters will be indexed by Google and give you loads of duplicate content for the same category url.

I have worked with the guys at Cart on Steroids to modify their filters to give the perfect set of seo urls.

Power Filters from ********* gave us thousands of long tail links for virtual categories that we added virtual SEO and meta data to which increased our Google traffic significantly but the urls weren't great. I know the new version just out has fixed that issue but I was already on a journey with Clever Filters.

When I have finished I will have thousands of virtual categories with SEO and Meta data and perfect SEO urls to those categories which will get indexed by Google.

If this was done to X-carts version then it would be worth looking at but at the moment it is nothing new to the market. It does nothing that any of the other filters out there can already do.

ADDISON 02-02-2013 12:33 AM

I do recommend these features for next versions:

- WEIGHT. This is an important field that could be used to create automatically a filter. Please take in consideration Enable/Disable for it in module configuration.

- NEW ARRIVALS. I got a notification you improved X-Notifications according to my requests. One is Mark as NEW from time to time. Please use this new field for creating a filter named NEW ARRIVALS.

- There is an option in module configuration [Show filters classes info at product details]. As it is now it is applying to all products. We have to control every product showing. I recommend when you assign a class to a product, to have a check box also Enable/Disable [Show filter classes info in product details]. This should be related to module configuration. If in module settings it is enabled, to have it enabled in product management filter class. If disabled in module settings, disable in product management too.

>> If you allow me, this module is very promising and I do recommend it. If the team will continue its work to get it in the best shape, XC will have one of the best filtering module on the market comparing with other carts. Just look who primitive is filtering in Magento comparing with Refine Filters.

philrisk 02-04-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

- WEIGHT. This is an important field that could be used to create automatically a filter. Please take in consideration Enable/Disable for it in module configuration.

- NEW ARRIVALS. I got a notification you improved X-Notifications according to my requests. One is Mark as NEW from time to time. Please use this new field for creating a filter named NEW ARRIVALS.

- There is an option in module configuration [Show filters classes info at product details]. As it is now it is applying to all products. We have to control every product showing. I recommend when you assign a class to a product, to have a check box also Enable/Disable [Show filter classes info in product details]. This should be related to module configuration. If in module settings it is enabled, to have it enabled in product management filter class. If disabled in module settings, disable in product management too.

>> If you allow me, this module is very promising and I do recommend it. If the team will continue its work to get it in the best shape, XC will have one of the best filtering module on the market comparing with other carts. Just look who primitive is filtering in Magento comparing with Refine Filters.

But there is no thought about adding SEO urls so it has a long way to go to be any good.

vladimir.gritsenko 02-04-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philrisk
One thing no one has thought about is duplicate content in Google and the affect on your SEO.

If the filters created their on additions on the page url then it would significantly increase your Google ranking and traffic. At the moment the filters will be indexed by Google and give you loads of duplicate content for the same category url.

I have worked with the guys at Cart on Steroids to modify their filters to give the perfect set of seo urls.

Power Filters from ********* gave us thousands of long tail links for virtual categories that we added virtual SEO and meta data to which increased our Google traffic significantly but the urls weren't great. I know the new version just out has fixed that issue but I was already on a journey with Clever Filters.

When I have finished I will have thousands of virtual categories with SEO and Meta data and perfect SEO urls to those categories which will get indexed by Google.

If this was done to X-carts version then it would be worth looking at but at the moment it is nothing new to the market. It does nothing that any of the other filters out there can already do.

Thank you for pointing this out, philrisk. Although, we have already planned implementing SEO URLs for Refine Filters, your experience in this field may help us to create even greater product. So if you wish to take part in creation of an ultimate filtering facility for X-Cart and improving the whole platform, feel free to write your thoughts to vladimir.gritsenko@x-cart.com

Thank you in advance.

philrisk 02-04-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Thank you for pointing this out, philrisk. Although, we have already planned implementing SEO URLs for Refine Filters, your experience in this field may help us to create even greater product. So if you wish to take part in creation of an ultimate filtering facility for X-Cart and improving the whole platform, feel free to write your thoughts to vladimir.gritsenko@x-cart.com

Thank you in advance.

Hi Vladimar.

That would be good. I have done a lot of development on this with Clever Filtres and our SEO company to get it just right. I will drop you an email of what we have done.

Cheers
Phil

vladimir.gritsenko 02-04-2013 06:43 AM

Hi ADDISON,

Thank you for ideas.

Quote:

- WEIGHT. This is an important field that could be used to create automatically a filter. Please take in consideration
Enable/Disable for it in module configuration.

Planned for future releases.

Quote:

There are some difficulties with this but we understand that it's necessary so planned to think on it.

Quote:

I am not sure it's needed on a per-product basis. Please could you describe a real use case?

yowstar 02-04-2013 09:07 AM

A recommendation that I have is that the filtered out options should not be displayed in the filter option after you have applied selected options. For example in the demo say I selected desktop then notebook should not be still displaying in the filter option.

If you are going to keep it the way you have it I would recommend that the filter option is displayed without clicking on show at the bottom. So once you select a particular filter option say desktop the page loads desktop.

ADDISON 02-05-2013 12:32 AM

It is great you can see the other filter attributes, but they should be disabled from clicking (and text in grey color). Hiding them you won't see what other combinations you could do, in case you didn't find one you want. Always the whole filter situation should be reset and you have to read all attributes again. Imagine that this is time consuming and annoying.

Refine Filter could have an option to hide the attributes (Enable/Disable), for requests like yours, but over a while you will migrate to show all attributes, trust me.

ADDISON 02-05-2013 12:37 AM

@Vladimir: As I understand [Show filters classes info at product details] means to show one filter class with its attributes in product page. If I am right, the request bellow means to avoid showing a class in product page. Just give you an example: I have a class named Fabric with attributes like Membrane (Yes/No), Waterproof (Yes/No), Windproof (Yes/No) and so on. In product description all these information are described in details. I need this filter class only for filtering. And it is easy to do, if you see my implementation.

Quote:

vladimir.gritsenko 02-05-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yowstar
A recommendation that I have is that the filtered out options should not be displayed in the filter option after you have applied selected options. For example in the demo say I selected desktop then notebook should not be still displaying in the filter option.

Do you mean to completely hide the options which are just grayed out now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yowstar
If you are going to keep it the way you have it I would recommend that the filter option is displayed without clicking on show at the bottom. So once you select a particular filter option say desktop the page loads desktop.

Thank you. We will consider this idea.

vladimir.gritsenko 02-05-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

@Vladimir: As I understand [Show filters classes info at product details] means to show one filter class with its attributes in product page. If I am right, the request bellow means to avoid showing a class in product page. Just give you an example: I have a class named Fabric with attributes like Membrane (Yes/No), Waterproof (Yes/No), Windproof (Yes/No) and so on. In product description all these information are described in details. I need this filter class only for filtering. And it is easy to do, if you see my implementation.

Adrian, there is already an option to have filter classes info disabled at a product details page. As I understand you offered to have such an option on a per-product basis. In other words, to show it for some products and to hide for others. If I got your idea properly, I do not think it's necessary. No real use case comes to my mind.

ADDISON 02-05-2013 06:01 AM

Once I get a real situation I will let you know. It is not hard to use a check box in product management page to show filter class in details. Anyway it is something I can do by my own ;-)

Quote:

Adrian, there is already an option to have filter classes info disabled at a product details page. As I understand you offered to have such an option on a per-product basis. In other words, to show it for some products and to hide for others. If I got your idea properly, I do not think it's necessary. No real use case comes to my mind.

yowstar 02-05-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Do you mean to completely hide the options which are just grayed out now?

Yes

ADDISON 02-17-2013 01:58 PM

>>> PRODUCT LOGIC ISSUE 1

1) I created a product class named ProductType.
2) ProductType class has only one option called Type. For this option type is [Multiple option selector]. Variants in total are 50 (stove, tent, canister, mug, ...).

3) I have a category named Camping which has 25 products.
4) For these products I have to allocate a filter class, the one created above ProductType.

5) Inside this category I will select for those 25 products only 5 variants in different combinations to be used.

ISSUE: As it is now, in Front-End Refine Filters module will show in category Camping all ProductType variants, 50 as number, instead only those 5 variants I used.

For the moment RF shows them and it is space content consuming and also stupid as behavior to show them when they are not assigned. Those 45 variants which are not assigned to products in the current category shouldn't be listed in module box. Even these variants are in gray color! JUST HIDE THEM because they are not available in current category!

Example:
- ProductType class - with 1 option. This option has 50 variants
- Category X with 25 products, only 5 variants from that option will be used.
- RefineFilter shows the other 45 unused variants in Front-End.

ADDISON 02-18-2013 01:27 AM

>>> PRODUCT LOGIC ISSUE 2

1) I will add more 2 options to product class ProductType to be widely used inside shopping cart
2) I will go to a product and set up only 2 options, not 3 options (sometimes there are 1 options, 2 options or all three options)

ISSUE: By default Refine Filter shows in Front End all 3 options. I would like to change this annoying behavior based on the number of options chosen in that category. If only 1 options is set up in those products show only that options, if 2 option is set up only those products to be shown in Front end. Imagine that if only 2 options are used from a filter, showing the third is not logic - because it is not generating any filtering results. It should be hidden in Front-End, because it is not used with any product in that category.

Imagine having a product class with lots of options and showing all options even most of them are not used, specific to a category.

Example:
- ProductType class - with 20 options
- Category X with 30 products, only 4 options from ProductType class will be used
- RefineFilter shows the other 16 unused options in Front-End (which is not correct, the options not used shouldn't be visible).

vladimir.gritsenko 02-18-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

>>> PRODUCT LOGIC ISSUE 1

1) I created a product class named ProductType.
2) ProductType class has only one option called Type. For this option type is [Multiple option selector]. Variants in total are 50 (stove, tent, canister, mug, ...).

3) I have a category named Camping which has 25 products.
4) For these products I have to allocate a filter class, the one created above ProductType.

5) Inside this category I will select for those 25 products only 5 variants in different combinations to be used.

ISSUE: As it is now, in Front-End Refine Filters module will show in category Camping all ProductType variants, 50 as number, instead only those 5 variants I used.

For the moment RF shows them and it is space content consuming and also stupid as behavior to show them when they are not assigned. Those 45 variants which are not assigned to products in the current category shouldn't be listed in module box. Even these variants are in gray color! JUST HIDE THEM because they are not available in current category!

Example:
- ProductType class - with 1 option. This option has 50 variants
- Category X with 25 products, only 5 variants from that option will be used.
- RefineFilter shows the other 45 unused variants in Front-End.

Thank you for revealing the bug. We've fixed it and uploaded new module packages to the File Area. Feel free to download and use it.