X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Gdpr - upcoming law for European merchants (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=75544)

cflsystems 04-13-2018 11:50 AM

Re: Gdpr - upcoming law for European merchants

We already have that case with MS - https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/26/17052946/microsoft-email-supreme-court-case-law-enforcement

snowboard 05-02-2018 05:28 AM

Gdpr

Hello all,

With GDPR there are a couple of things that I am thinking may impact ecommerce requirements:

1. A checkbox (unticked) in the checkout, for customers in the EU that they tick for them to say they give consent to privacy policy and how their data is handled, etc, under the new GPDR regulations.

Will x cart 5 be implementing such a unticked checkbox?

Thanks

chamberinternet 05-03-2018 01:31 AM

Re: Gdpr

Hi Snowboard

Refer to the following forum post
https://forum.x-cart.com/showpost.php?p=407085&postcount=18

snowboard 05-03-2018 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xim
In 2-3 weeks we are going to release GDPR-friendly add-ons for xc5.3.5.x and xc4.7.x branches.

And yes, it is not about a simple checkbox on the site. You need to change all your business process to make it compliant GDPR. However, our addon will help merchants to be GDPR friendly.

Hi Xim or Xcart,

If x cart will implement eg a checkbox to tick in checkout process for purposes of being part of the GDPR compliance process, will it allow us to choose to only show this for EU customers and not other customers (eg where the billing address is an EU country)?

(or maybe that should include EU shipping address too??)

Thanks,

Triple A Racing 05-03-2018 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowboard
If x cart will implement eg a checkbox to tick in checkout process for purposes of being part of the GDPR compliance process, will it allow us to choose to only show this for EU customers and not other customers (eg where the billing address is an EU country)? (or maybe that should include EU shipping address too??)

See their previous quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by xim
In 2-3 weeks we are going to release GDPR-friendly add-ons for xc5.3.5.x and xc4.7.x branches. And yes, it is not about a simple checkbox on the site. You need to change all your business process to make it compliant GDPR. However, our addon will help merchants to be GDPR friendly.

We're assuming that the 'add-ons' mentioned, will become available at the same time 5.3.5.2 (or later) reaches Merchant wave status. Everybody can then presumably (and hopefully!) add those add-ons if they want them, or don't add them if they don't :D/ We're thinking this should be anytime soon...

Edit (4th May): The latest X-Cart "Blog" update gives more details for XC5 (and XC4). These blog updates are normally... in advance of the actual Merchant wave releases / upgrades. We can only guess that both XC 5.3.5.2 and the GDPR add-ons that are suitable for XC 5.3.5.2 are indeed imminent...

cflsystems 05-03-2018 05:04 AM

Re: Gdpr

It's been 4 weeks already and the module is not released yet

xcel 05-03-2018 03:50 PM

@X-Cart

From your "Sell to the EU" email dated 05/03/18...

"We’ve released the installation packages for all version of the 4.7.x branch. The packages for v4.6.x and 4.5.x will require adaptation."

We have two 4.6.6 XC stores. Care to elaborate on "will require adaptation?

____

Another comment... we are in the USA, and only allow USA customers. In admin, we only have USA setup in countries... nowhere else.

Do we need to bother with GDPR? Obviously, anyone can view our webstore from anywhere with an internet connection. Is that enough to justify us to be GDPR compliant, or are we in the clear?

Thanks in advance.

kevinrm 05-03-2018 07:07 PM

I just installed the new GDPR module, it was painless. Thanks to X-Cart for putting that out there in a timely manner.

I wish the mandatory check button at checkout didn't show for non-EU customers, however.

Triple A Racing 05-03-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinrm
I just installed the new GDPR module, it was painless

We're guessing it's THIS one you have installed. It's listed as being "...compatible: 5.3.4.x" but... 5.3.5.x isn't listed - yet. Looks easy enough to use on the demo / details provided, especially the admin's ability to switch off the cookie popup :-)

We're going to wait for the Merchant wave 5.3.5.x release and all of it's compatible modules before looking in detail, because this next core upgrade contains some useful (for us) bug fixes that we raised previously...

keystone 05-04-2018 08:38 AM

In the file area in x-cart help desk I show eu-gdpr-dev-pack-4.0.x-4.5.x.tgz and then a bunch of files for 4.7.0 - 4.7.9

What do I use for store version 4.6.x?

kevinrm 05-05-2018 12:24 PM

I thought it was working but I just realized it has been the cause of failed credit card orders on checkout ever since it was installed - now turned OFF.

Triple A Racing 05-05-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinrm
I thought it was working but I just realized it has been the cause of failed credit card orders on checkout ever since it was installed - now turned OFF.

Sorry to hear that 8O 8O Was there no chance or opportunity for you to do any dev store tests (including simulated new orders) in advance :?: Others may/will be using this module at 5.3.4.7. Wonder if they've had the same issues?

We're sticking to waiting until 5.3.5.* and all it's updated modules are all released, despite 5.3.5.* seeming to be taking a long time to progress from Developer to Merchant wave (over a month now...)

Anna_Shvetsova 05-07-2018 05:33 AM

Hi,

Adaptation means that you cannot install the packages as is for these versions. The feature installation will require some coding from you.

You can do it yourself if you have tech skills or you can order our support service and our engineers will adapt the features to your X-Cart version.

Ready packages (that don't require adaptation) are available only for versions within 4.7.x branch. https://secure.x-cart.com/customer.php?folder_id=388826&area=filearea&target =files_explorer

Tere are no packages for 4.6.x and 4.5.x versions, but you can adapt the eu-gdpr-4.7.0.tgz to them.

As for very old versions (4.5.0 and older), the 4.7.0 package is not possible to adapt to them, so you should use the eu-gdpr-dev-pack-4.0.x-4.5.x.tgz package.

The process of adaptation may require the following changes:
- modification of skin/common_files/admin/main/configuration.tpl to have the tabs match the backend interface of your current X-Cart version
- updating all JS inserts to have them match your current version
- adding {ldelim},{rdelim}
- check of the proper adding of the records of GDPR activities when the shipping methods are enabled/disabled
- check of the proper checkbox work at resgiter.php cart.php?mode=checkout
- check of the proper work of the EU cookie popup
- check of the proper work of the privacy policy notice

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcel

We have two 4.6.6 XC stores. Care to elaborate on "will require adaptation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by keystone
In the file area in x-cart help desk I show eu-gdpr-dev-pack-4.0.x-4.5.x.tgz and then a bunch of files for 4.7.0 - 4.7.9

What do I use for store version 4.6.x?

Triple A Racing 05-07-2018 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A Racing
....we're sticking to waiting until 5.3.5.* and all it's updated modules are all released, despite 5.3.5.* seeming to be taking a long time to progress from Developer to Merchant wave (over a month now...)

Well XC 5.3.5.3 has been released today :D/ Anyone at XC have any idea of an approximate ETA for this in Merchant wave?

pauldodman 05-07-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

As for very old versions (4.5.0 and older), the 4.7.0 package is not possible to adapt to them, so you should use the eu-gdpr-dev-pack-4.0.x-4.5.x.tgz package.

The dev pack should really be renamed ...4.0.x-4.5.0.tgz
So a 0, not an x.
As it's not really suitable for anything above 4.5.0.

That's because the dev pack includes the complete module files for the EU Cookie law functionality/module.

The EU cookie law module was available from 4.5.1.

So when deciding what pack to use, bear in mind that the dev pack contains full files for EU cookie law, and the 4.7 pack has patches for it.

snowboard 05-07-2018 10:45 PM

Hello X cart,

With the GDPR module, can we specify it to only show at checkout (the checkbox for consent to personal info etc) only for EU countries?

This way, it will not scare off customers not in the EU? (for those of us running the site outside the EU and have non EU customers).

Thanks!

kevinrm 05-07-2018 10:58 PM

The way they have it set up (last time I tried it), you can select which countries get the pop-up but not for the check box at the checkout. The part I don't like is that it says something to the effect of, "Allow data collection of my privacy", it looks kind of scary and it seems like that will turn some customers off, especially those outside of the EU.

snowboard 05-08-2018 02:57 AM

If we want to have this as a feature request, where do we post it?

Thanks!

simetria 05-08-2018 03:36 AM

Anyone successfully installed the module on a version 4.6.x?
I have tried installing it on a 4.6.1 and can't even get past the installation page (mystore.com/install-eugdpr.php).

chamberinternet 05-08-2018 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simetria
Anyone successfully installed the module on a version 4.6.x?
I have tried installing it on a 4.6.1 and can't even get past the installation page (mystore.com/install-eugdpr.php).

I think the module is designed for the 4.7.x branch :-/

ITVV 05-08-2018 03:43 AM

Hi,

I must confess that I am really confused as to why 4.6.? is been ignored 8O 8O 8O

There must be tons of sites running 4.6.? :roll: :roll:

Why abandon a relatively new version of x-cart but support a real out of date 4.0.? version 8O

Answers on a postcard please!!!

Kind regards

ITVV

simetria 05-08-2018 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chamberinternet
I think the module is designed for the 4.7.x branch :-/

Yeah, but in the post above Anna mentions that the version 4.7.x of the module can be "Adapted" for a 4.6.x. Just wondering if anyone has done it. She lists some things that need to be changed to fit the version you're adapting to, but by the time we figure this out, the 25th has come and gone lol.

-S

pauldodman 05-08-2018 03:55 AM

Nothing is really supported other than 4.7.x.
Anything else, and it's just - yeah, good luck with that!

Anyway, for any other version, start by editing:
install-eugdpr.php

And find around line #45:
define('COMPATIBLE_VERSION', '4.7.5');

And just change the version to your version, and you should be able to make some progress.

You don't have to do it by install though, you can do it manually.

ITVV 05-08-2018 05:02 AM

It could just be me but I am totally confused 8O

So if you have an ANCIENT version of xcart you can use eu-gdpr-dev-pack-4.0.x-4.5.x.tgz package.

However if you are on 4.5.1 or 4.6.? you have to hand-roll the solution 8O

How come 4.5.1 and 4.6.? are the odd ones out :roll:

Perhaps its just me that's not understanding this?

I just do not get the logic - why would you leave out the last two packages but support the ancient versions?

Perhaps is to try and force people to upgrade to 4.7.? and pay the annual maintenance fee? There you go - I answered my own question. That's why 4.5.1 and 4.6.? have been ignored

Go figure the logic in that business model.

Regards

ITVV

simetria 05-08-2018 05:06 AM

I agree, seems really confusing as to why 4.5.1 through 4.6.x are left out of the mix.
At least a simple guide on how to adapt 4.7.0 module to fit 4.5.1 through 4.6.x.

-S

pauldodman 05-08-2018 05:10 AM

No, you are making it sound like if you have an ancient version, you have the same easy, off the shelf solution that you do for 4.7.
You don't.

If you have an ancient version, you use that pack as the basis of the process - you still have to do manual development.
And if you have 4.5.1 to 4.6.x then you use the 4.7 pack as the basis.

ITVV 05-08-2018 05:14 AM

@pauldodman,

I must admit that I have not looked at the packs yet. All I did was read what the press release said and became instantly confused.

Not bothered about an 'auto install' I am happy to manually patch.

But what is confusing for me, at this stage, is why I would have to hack another versions upgrade pack?

Is the press release ambiguous?

Regards

ITVV

simetria 05-08-2018 05:21 AM

ITVV what does manual patching actually intel? Sorting out the files in their respective directories based on the structure inside the module download? Applying the db/sql files from the module via the Tools/Patches menu in the backend?

Triple A Racing 05-08-2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITVV
....Is the press release ambiguous?

The XC Marketing Department do have the odd claim to fame...:wink:
“...If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed...” - Mark Twain

ITVV 05-08-2018 05:59 AM

@simetria

Quote:

ITVV what does manual patching actually intel? Sorting out the files in their respective directories based on the structure inside the module download? Applying the db/sql files from the module via the Tools/Patches menu in the backend?

Yes and manual patching of files / templates to reference new files / changes.

Kind regards

ITVV

ITVV 05-08-2018 06:02 AM

@TripleARacing

That was very funny and so correct :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kind regards

ITVV

cflsystems 05-08-2018 06:17 AM

In most installations of XC4 you will not be able to auto install this module even on latest version. Unless you are using stock XC which is almost never the case.
It is best to install the module manually and make sure it fits the site theme.
Since QT is looking at this as a module and not important / security patch they will release it for latest versions only. Anything before 4.7.x is considered absolete and not supposed. You can request installation for 4.6 and even 4.5 and if there are enough ppl to want it I guess QT will add them.

ITVV 05-08-2018 06:21 AM

@cflsystems

But Steve do you not find it odd that there are no ready made patches for 4.5.1 > 4.6.? 8O

I don't want an auto install but I do not want to hack away at 4.7.? patch and 'figure' it out 8O

Regards

ITVV

aim 05-08-2018 06:50 AM

Hello,

I have uploaded eu-gdpr-4.6.6.tgz module.

https://secure.x-cart.com/customer.php?area=filearea&target=files_explorer&f older_id=388826

Thank you.

cflsystems 05-08-2018 06:51 AM

To be honest given the fact that XC4 is left to die I am surprised they even have this for all of 4.7.x versions.
Also if you use 4.7.0 pack I am sure it will install without much issues to 4.6.6. I have not tried but these versions are really close to each other and probably 90% of the code is the same

ITVV 05-08-2018 06:53 AM

@aim

Many thanks - great service.

Kind regards

ITVV

simetria 05-08-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim

Ildar, is the integration to a 4.6.1 install the same or close as for a 4.6.6?

-S

elmirage001 05-08-2018 03:32 PM

I have the 4.6.6 version working except for the geoip function.

If you use Total Server Solutions you can go to 'cpanel' and check and save the 'geoip' checkbox in the php extenstion section of 'Select PHP Version'.

Does anyone know what XC version the function "geoip_continent_code_by_name" exists?

Code:

// disable module for non-EU customers
if (
    !defined('DEVELOPMENT_MODE') && !defined('XC_DEBUG_EU_COOKIE_LAW') // EU_GDPR
    && !in_array(func_constant('AREA_TYPE'), array('A','P'))
    && function_exists('geoip_continent_code_by_name')
    && in_array(geoip_continent_code_by_name($CLIENT_IP), array('AF','AN','AS','NA','OC','SA'))
    && !empty($CLIENT_IP) && !empty($smarty)
) {
    unset($active_modules['EU_Cookie_Law']);
    $smarty->assign('active_modules', $active_modules);
}

Thanks!

Paul

Updated - Sorry... It's a PHP function

http://php.net/manual/en/function.geoip-continent-code-by-name.php

kevinrm 05-08-2018 06:24 PM

Regarding the version for XC5, we had an issue where if you click the "I consent to the collection and processing of my personal data" checkbox, the credit card fields would show up normally, but if you then checked "Add a coupon" they would become disabled and greyed out. This turned out to be an issue of using CloudFlare.

If you use CloudFlare…

1) Make a page rule for this page: *domain.com/?target=checkout
2) Disable Performance

kevinrm 05-09-2018 08:09 PM

This module has further issues which are being addressed. For one, the click box for new account creation in the pop-up is not clickable. They are working on it but this module is not really ready for live stores at the time of this writing, at least if you wish to allow new customer accounts to be created.