X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   X-Payments issues & questions (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Favicon (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65832)

carpeperdiem 01-12-2013 07:36 AM

Favicon

Dear Alex,

Who's the rocket-scientist engineer that decided to use the x-payments favicon as default?

X-Cart should NEVER EVER put X-Cart branding as a default item on a page that a customer can see. Ever. For any reason.

Next time someone on your team does something obnoxious like this, I give you permission to take them outside, chain them to a tree, and force them to spend the night in the cold without food or water. That seems like an appropriate punishment.

Just sharing.

For everyone else - before you do ANYTHING ELSE when installing x-payments 1.0.5 or earlier, replace the favicon with your own. Once it caches it's almost impossible to change. SO don't let it cache.

ambal 01-14-2013 01:06 AM

Re: Favicon

Despite of wording chosen that's a very good note indeed and I am to
1) add a note about favicon to initial emails sent by X-Payments (will appear in its next version)
2) add the same note into X-Payments user manual into "1st TODO steps".

carpeperdiem 01-14-2013 06:09 AM

Alex,

You could also remove the branded favicon entirely from the x-payments install, right? No need to tell people to remove it if it's not there in the first place.

I still think "chaining to a tree" is a reasonable penalty for a developer who puts their own branding in a product destined for ecom. :-)

PS -- I have not been able to purge the favicon from my browser cache even though my fvicon has been there since day one. Maybe I have to clear the x-payments cache at the server?

tartaglia 01-14-2013 08:51 AM

Can you please tell me where the default favicon.ico file is store in the X-Payments 1.0.5 installation? I can't seem to find it to remove/replace it. Thanks.

cflsystems 01-14-2013 10:13 AM

This applies to XC as well and yes the favicon should not be there at all. Instead of making a note to remove it - do not include it in the package and make a not for the site owner to create their own.

@carpeperdiem - depending on the browser and OS you may need to clear a lot more than just browser cache. IE for example will store it in history files instead of cache... Mac and Safari may be different

gb2world 01-14-2013 12:40 PM

Sometimes it helps to load it directly in a browser page (i.e. http://www.yoursite.com/path-to-favicon/favicon.ico). If you reload that page, and it displays correctly, the browser might correct its own cached files everywhere.

---

carpeperdiem 01-14-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb2world
Sometimes it helps to load it directly in a browser page (i.e. http://www.yoursite.com/path-to-favicon/favicon.ico). If you reload that page, and it displays correctly, the browser might correct its own cached files everywhere.

---

Thanks, but -- not for x-payments. These directories are seriously locked down.

ambal 01-15-2013 01:11 AM

Yes, I agree - to remove x-cart favicon from front-end part of X-Payments is way better solution. I submitted it to be implemented in the next version of X-Payments

tartaglia 01-15-2013 07:59 AM

Can you please tell me where in the X-Payments installation the favicon.ico file is located so I can remove/replace it.

carpeperdiem 01-15-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartaglia
Can you please tell me where in the X-Payments installation the favicon.ico file is located so I can remove/replace it.

David,
All favicon files live in root for a domain
So wherever your xpayments root is, that's where it is.
Assuming you have a dedicated subdomain (cpanel account) for your xp install?

ambal 01-16-2013 01:02 AM

This is how to change admin-side favicon (what you see as admin user):

Default X-Payments favicon is <xp-dir>/public/images/xpayments.ico. To change it you should simply replace this file with your one. Note: after that these changes should be approved in the X-Payments admin backend on the Dashboard section.
If you use X-Payments for Small Business or for Malls - you need to contact us using your Helpdesk account and send your favicon file - we will replace it for you.

This is how to change front-end side favicon (what customers see when they checkout):

To setup a favicon for X-Payments, you should do the following:

- create an icon file and save it as your template name is. E.g. if your online store uses "mytemplate" template, you should save favicon as "mytemplate.ico"
- upload that file into the <xp-dir>/public/templates directory
- make sure it has enough permissions (e.g. open it via browser: https://example.com/public/templates/mytemplate.ico)
- approve the changes in the X-Payments files on the Dashboard page in the admin backend

carpeperdiem 01-16-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambal
Default X-Payments favicon is <xp-dir>/public/images/xpayments.ico.

Of course.. that's why it appears to be caching -- the wrong image (xp) is loading!

I can't believe I am the first to notice this!?

Honestly, I noticed this at first installation, but then I just placed my favicon into root -- and to xp root. I assumed (incorrectly) that the reason it didn't go away was because of caching. No -- the favicon is hidden deep into the file structure. Wow. Took some real engineering to do this. This was not an accident, was it? Inexperienced engineers don't know how to put a favicon deep into a file structure. I stand by my "tree with chains" request ;-)

UPDATE: I changed the image to my own favicon (renamed my image, "xpayments.ico" - confirmed the change in the xp dashboard, purged the cache of all of my browsers, but the favicon remains. Is there an "x-payments image cache" that needs to be purged as well?

Thanks,
Jeremy

tartaglia 01-17-2013 10:31 AM

Me again.

Carpeperdiem, have you made sure that the change (of the *.ico) doesn't have to be approved in the X-Payments back-end. QT suggested that any changes to X-P have to be approved. There should be a notice when you login to the X-P back end (Dashboard) that says something like "A template has been changed you need to approve it" Check it and let me know.

carpeperdiem 01-17-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartaglia
Me again.

Carpeperdiem, have you made sure that the change (of the *.ico) doesn't have to be approved in the X-Payments back-end. QT suggested that any changes to X-P have to be approved. There should be a notice when you login to the X-P back end (Dashboard) that says something like "A template has been changed you need to approve it" Check it and let me know.

Yes, of course. If you make ANY edits or changes to x-p files, it requires a trip to the dashboard to approve.

I have been unable to purge the old xp favicon image from my computer. I have tested with new computers that have never been to my site. the XP favicon continues to load, even though it has been purged from my xpayments directory.

Wanna bet there is another xp favicon hidden in xpayments?

Alex, any idea where another place for xp favicon could be?

It needs to be purged forever.

carpeperdiem 01-17-2013 11:39 AM

Found it...

<xp-dir>/public/templates/default.ico

"default.ico" ???? Nested deep into a file structure?
I stand by my "tree and chains" punishment for the engineer that thought this was a good idea.

J

carpeperdiem 01-17-2013 11:40 AM

PS -- why are there more than one .ico file in the default xp installation?

ambal 01-18-2013 04:00 AM

Sorry, my bad. I confused the admin side ico with front-end ones. I'll correct my above post.

To setup a favicon for X-Payments front-end, you should do the following:

- create an icon file and save it as your template name is. E.g. if your online store uses "mytemplate" template, you should save favicon as "mytemplate.ico"
- upload that file into the <xp-dir>/public/templates directory
- make sure it has enough permissions (e.g. open it via browser: https://example.com/public/templates/mytemplate.ico)
- approve the changes in the X-Payments files on the Dashboard page in the admin backend

carpeperdiem 02-23-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambal
Yes, I agree - to remove x-cart favicon from front-end part of X-Payments is way better solution. I submitted it to be implemented in the next version of X-Payments

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately, the engineer responsible for this prefers to see X-Cart branding in customer browser windows.

In X-P 1.0.6, /public/templates/default.ico is still the x-payments .ico

Quote:

Next time someone on your team does something obnoxious like this, I give you permission to take them outside, chain them to a tree, and force them to spend the night in the cold without food or water. That seems like an appropriate punishment.

You see -- had the engineer spent a winter night outside, they'd have learned a lesson. With spring coming early this year the punishment will not be all that uncomfortable and we may have to wait until next year.