X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Dev Questions (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Boost SEO with better ALT text - V4.0.x (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16546)

shan 09-13-2005 02:47 AM

Boost SEO with better ALT text - V4.0.x

I was working on a store that uses products in three columns and also uses images for recommended products and upselling products. All these make a call on the product_thumbnail.tpl file but dont use ALT tags very well and where they do they only use the product title. Its a bit of a waste of time as for the most part the product title is already on the page with thie thumbnail. Instead of that its much better to use the product description as this is only used on the main product detail page.

This was done on V4.0.15 but should work on most versions. just follow the example and it should make sense

so.....

edit product_thumbnail.tpl

Code:

{* $Id: product_thumbnail.tpl,v 1.14 2004/06/24 09:53:29 max Exp $ *}
{if $config.Appearance.show_thumbnails eq "Y"}[img]{if $tmbn_url}{$tmbn_url}{else}{if $full_url}{$http_location}{else}{$xcart_web_dir}{/if}/image.php?productid={$productid}{if $file_upload_data.file_path}&tmp=y{/if}{/if}[/img]{/if}

in that file we changed

Code:

alt="{$product|escape}"
to
Code:

alt="{$alt|strip_tags:false|strip}"

I updated this with extra modifiers to remove any html content that may be in the detailed description

next we need to adjust the files that call product_thumbnail.tpl.

First up is products_t.tpl

change

to

Code:

<A href="product.php?productid={$products[product].productid}&cat={$cat}&page={$navigation_page}">{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$products[product].productid image_x=$config.Appearance.thumbnail_width product=$products[product].product tmbn_url=$products[product].tmbn_url alt=$products[product].fulldescr|replace:"
":""}</A>

Next up, you can change products.tpl too. only need to do this if your not using products_t.tpl

find

Code:

{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$products[product].productid image_x=$config.Appearance.thumbnail_width product=$products[product].product tmbn_url=$products[product].tmbn_url}

change to

Code:

{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$products[product].productid image_x=$config.Appearance.thumbnail_width product=$products[product].product tmbn_url=$products[product].tmbn_url alt=$products[product].fulldescr|replace:"
":""}

my recommends file was changed like this. there are plenty of mods in the forum to improve on this layout but this example will give you an idea of using the description

Code:

{* $Id: related_products.tpl,v 1.10 2004/05/28 12:21:13 max Exp $ *}
{if $recommends}
{capture name=recommends}

<TABLE border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<TR>
{section name=num loop=$recommends}

<TD width="100" align="center" valign="top"><A href="product.php?productid={$recommends[num].productid}"> {include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$recommends[num].productid tmbn_url=$recommends[num].tmbn_url image_y=75 alt=$recommends[num].fulldescr|replace:"
":""}</A>

{$recommends[num].product}</TD>
<TD width="10"></TD>

{/section}
</TR>

</TABLE>

{/capture}
{include file="dialog.tpl" title=$lng.lbl_recommends content=$smarty.capture.recommends extra="width=100%"}

{/if}

to pass the description over you need to edit

/modules/Upselling_Products/related_products.php

adjust the start of the sql call like this

Code:

$product_links = func_query("SELECT DISTINCT $sql_tbl[products].fulldescr, $sql_tbl[products].productid,

basically just added - $sql_tbl[products].fulldescr, to the call

Im sure there are a few tweaks that can be had so feel free to chip in. This should give you a good boost of text on any page though and help out a bit with your SEO. just remember to add good content to your product descriptions :-)

GM 09-20-2005 07:28 PM

Nice one Shan, I just want to add that it also helps to name your image files by the product name ie. cell_phone.jpg (every bit helps)

Dongan 09-20-2005 08:23 PM

Nice tweak. Minimum effort and manimum effect.

shan 09-21-2005 12:56 AM

only thing you gotta watch with this one is if you use a lot of html in your product description. A way around this is to use the short description field instead and fill that with a description without the html and other good keywords

cotc2001 09-21-2005 06:15 AM

Nice mod, i'll have to try it later, is there anyway to truncuate the description though to about first 120 chars??? reason being is that my descriptions are quite long.

shan 09-21-2005 06:19 AM

in product_thumbnail.tpl

Code:

alt="{$alt|escape|truncate:200}"

more info here

http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/language.modifier.truncate.php

MythNReality 09-22-2005 07:21 PM

shan,

Here's my related products, where should I place the code?

Quote:

{* $Id: related_products.tpl,v 1.7.6.1 2004/12/06 svowl Exp $ *}
{if $product_links ne ""}

{capture name=dialog}
{assign var="tmp" value="0"}

{section name=cat_num loop=$product_links}
{if $product_links[cat_num].productid}{assign var="tmp" value="1"}{/if}
{/section}

{section name=cat_num loop=$product_links}

{ if %cat_num.first% }
<table border=0 cellspacing=5 width=100%>
{/if}

{if $smarty.section.cat_num.index is div by 3}
</tr><tr valign="top">
{/if}

<td width="250" align="center">
{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$product_links[cat_num].productid image_x=$config.Appearance.thumbnail_width product=$product_links[cat_num].product tmbn_url=$product_links[cat_num].tmbn_url}

<a href="product.php?productid={ $product_links[cat_num].productid }"{if $config.Modules.upselling_new_window eq 'Y'} target="_blank"{/if}>
<span class="ProductTitle">{ $product_links[cat_num].product|escape}</span>
</a></td>
{ if %cat_num.last% }
</tr></table>
{/if}
{/section}
{/capture}
{include file="dialog.tpl" title=$lng.lbl_related_products content=$smarty.capture.dialog extra="width=100%"}
{/if}

Thanks for the help!

rossco 09-24-2005 03:14 AM

Hi

I've tried this in 4.0.12 with no success. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Allan

rossco 09-29-2005 05:49 AM

Just another quickie.

You say to name your jpg's so that they reflect the product name, xcart renames all images so how do I get around that.

I'm very keen on SEO and so far it's paying off on our site so as you say every little helps.

Allan

shan 09-29-2005 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossco
Just another quickie.

You say to name your jpg's so that they reflect the product name, xcart renames all images so how do I get around that.

I'm very keen on SEO and so far it's paying off on our site so as you say every little helps.

Allan

your right, theres no real way around the way xcart names things at the mo. Anything you add by hand though could be named cleverly