X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Hidden Categories module released (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=66741)

karina 04-30-2013 05:35 AM

Hidden Categories module released

Hello, X-Carters!

I am glad to announce our new Hidden Categories
module that has grown from extras.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/default/files/hidden_categories_customer_category.png

With this mod you can hide a category from the categories list in the customer area (be it side menu, flyout menus or list of subcategories on the category page), with the hidden category still being available by a direct link. At the same time, "hidden, but available for sale" products are visible within the hidden category (if assigned to this category).

Key features are:

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/base/checkmark.png Hidden category is not shown in categories list at all, available by direct link only. So you can create a products list available by a direct link only

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/base/checkmark.png 'Hidden category' checkbox is editable via admin interface and categories export/import.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/base/checkmark.png 'Hidden, but available for sale' products are show within the hidden category

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/base/checkmark.png Show exclusive products to special customers only

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/base/checkmark.png Hide the categories with short-stock items that must not be promoted.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/base/checkmark.png Admin controls if the products within hidden categories are searchable or not in customer area

Hidden Categories manual

Hidden Categories
add-on can be purchased on our official website

anandat 05-01-2013 06:33 AM

Re: Hidden Categories module released

Karina,
1) "Hidden Category" means all products listed under hidden category will also remain hidden for normal customers/visitors ?

2) Is it possible to display products like "Hidden & NOT available for sale" Actually I have big list of products which are OUT OF STOCK if this feature is available then at least people can subscribe for these products for "Notify me when this item is back in stock"

3) This module is compatible to work with Refine Filters module ?

karina 05-02-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandat
1) "Hidden Category" means all products listed under hidden category will also remain hidden for normal customers/visitors ?

If product is assigned to 'Hidden' category only and 'Enable search within hidden category' checkbox is unchecked then yes, this product will be visible under this category only, i.e. by direct link only.

Quote:

2) Is it possible to display products like "Hidden & NOT available for sale" Actually I have big list of products which are OUT OF STOCK if this feature is available then at least people can subscribe for these products for "Notify me when this item is back in stock"

I'm not sure that this question is clear to me. But I'll try to answer. If my answer will not be correct, please, clarify your question.
You can create category 'Out of stock', mark it as 'Hidden' and assign to it products with status 'For sale' or 'Hidden but available for sale'. All these products will be visible under 'Hidden' category. Any product with status 'Disabled' will not be visible under 'Hidden' category.

Quote:

3) This module is compatible to work with Refine Filters module ?

I will check this and return back to you with the answer.
UPD: Yes, Hidden Categories is compatible with Refine Filters. If 'Enable search within hidden category' checkbox is unchecked then products from hidden categories are not visible within filtered products.

xtech 05-03-2013 12:00 AM

Hello,
If no products is linked with a particular category or if a category contains the products whose stock is out or disabled products then will this category display in front end with this modules?

karina 05-03-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtech
Hello,
If no products is linked with a particular category or if a category contains the products whose stock is out or disabled products then will this category display in front end with this modules?

Actually any hidden category is not visible in categories menu in front-end regardless of products count in them or products amount or products availability.
The 'Hidden Categories' module does not check count of available products in the category. This module doesn't make category hidden automatically, only administrator can modify category and set 'Hide category' checkbox.

ADDISON 06-21-2013 12:57 PM

I would like you to secure Hidden Categories. Take this as an option for admin.

1) Set a time. For example I can set up a time range between two specified days a hidden category being available.

2) You should protect with a key a hidden category (e.g. www.xcart.com/category.php?id=101&hiddenkey=231). hiddenkey is a string defined by admin. This will prevent any intrusion.

3) Based on 2 you can go further using in URL username or group. Having all this I can be sure only those users or groups have access to a restrict area of the store.

Remember, I hidden category is a privilege for a customer. Like a golden cave with good prices. This is a good way to give a mystery feeling to your store. 90% of the customers will appreciate having a special area in a store, only for them, because they are special.

karina 06-26-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADDISON
I would like you to secure Hidden Categories. Take this as an option for admin.

1) Set a time. For example I can set up a time range between two specified days a hidden category being available.

2) You should protect with a key a hidden category (e.g. www.xcart.com/category.php?id=101&hiddenkey=231). hiddenkey is a string defined by admin. This will prevent any intrusion.

3) Based on 2 you can go further using in URL username or group. Having all this I can be sure only those users or groups have access to a restrict area of the store.

Remember, I hidden category is a privilege for a customer. Like a golden cave with good prices. This is a good way to give a mystery feeling to your store. 90% of the customers will appreciate having a special area in a store, only for them, because they are special.

Thank you for your ideas!

First and second points are clear, we will consider them.

Could you please decsribe third idea a little bit more detailed? I'm not sure I get it. What will depend on username or group, how it will look like for customers and how it should be controlled in admin area?

ADDISON 06-26-2013 06:13 AM

The 3rd idea is based on the 2nd one.

2) - is for protecting the hidden category
3) - is for giving access to a customer/customers or a group of customers

Here are a few examples:

1) I would like to offer only karina one year the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category.

2) I would like to offer only to karina and addison one year the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category

3) I would like to offer only to a group of customers called VIP's 6 months the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category

4) I would like to offer only karina, addison, and two groups of customers the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category.

You could say why not offering individuals or groups coupons? Well, in this case why we need a hidden category? As I said before, a hidden category is something special for your customers, to make feel like vip's because they are buying from your store. It is just business with advantages for both sides.

karina 06-27-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADDISON
The 3rd idea is based on the 2nd one.

2) - is for protecting the hidden category
3) - is for giving access to a customer/customers or a group of customers

Here are a few examples:

1) I would like to offer only karina one year the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category.

2) I would like to offer only to karina and addison one year the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category

3) I would like to offer only to a group of customers called VIP's 6 months the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category

4) I would like to offer only karina, addison, and two groups of customers the privilege for buying some products I will post in a category.

You could say why not offering individuals or groups coupons? Well, in this case why we need a hidden category? As I said before, a hidden category is something special for your customers, to make feel like vip's because they are buying from your store. It is just business with advantages for both sides.

Thank you for the description! Now it's more clear. We will consider this feature for the next module versions.
Thanks again.

ADDISON 06-27-2013 06:43 AM

You're welcome. Please read your email and give me a reply about Pop-Up Anywhere. I could spend a little time to revise it for new features.

P.S. One of the "must have" modules for X-Cart, X-MultiCurrency, is almost completed, having inside (without guessing) all requested ideas over time, and being ready for the next XC Gold and Gold+ versions. I will write a testimonial about it soon inside this Forum. I am excited when Qualitem engineers, in fact ones very talented, got the ideas some basic improvements (bugs, functionality) are needed.