X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   General questions (X-Cart 5) (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   X-Cart or Magento? (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=77144)

MosesKhan 09-05-2019 01:24 AM

X-Cart or Magento?

I am about to commission a multivendor marketplace and can't decide between X-Cart and Magento. The website has a few bespoke functionalities and the front end will be revamped. I understand Magento has a wider developer community but the vendor backend seems lacking and this is important for us. X-Cart's is better but i don't want it to hold us back as we grow. Any help or experiences would be hugely appreciated!

magehd 09-06-2019 06:27 AM

Re: X-Cart or Magento?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MosesKhan
I am about to commission a multivendor marketplace and can't decide between X-Cart and Magento. The website has a few bespoke functionalities and the front end will be revamped. I understand Magento has a wider developer community but the vendor backend seems lacking and this is important for us. X-Cart's is better but i don't want it to hold us back as we grow. Any help or experiences would be hugely appreciated!

I’ve been developing on Magento since the platform launched and more recently started moving to X-cart for a few reasons that you may want to consider.

- it’s expensive to run a Magento platform without the additional database structure of multivendor features.
Magento is very heavy on the database and that results in a higher hosting cost. When adding the multivendor feature that will add an additional load to your server resulting an even higher cost. Keep in mind, that every vendor that signs up and adds products will also add even more of a load to the server which means even higher server costs.

- it’s expensive to solve issues in a Magento website. The Magento code base is very complex, which means it takes more time to troubleshoot issues. Most agencies will troubleshoot an issue at an hourly rate so the probability of an issue taking a long time to fix is very possible.

- The plug-in for converting Magento in a marketplace is created by a 3rd party agency where as the marketplace for X-cart is created by the X-cart team themselves. This basically means there is more stability with the X-cart marketplace option.

- it’s expensive to build a standard Magento website since the codebase is complex as I mentioned earlier.

- Magento does have a bigger development community. I’ve watched it grow, but I can say that I’ve seen many Magento developers and even known plugin developers, create hacky code. Hacky code can cause security breaches. Magento’s popularity makes them a huge target so having hacky code in a Magento website will of course increase the risk of getting hacked.

The main reason I moved from Magento to X-cart.

- The code base is organized and it takes less time to create a feature resulting in lower costs to the client if a custom feature is needed. It doesn’t matter if it’s a simple front end feature or a complex back end feature.

- Unlike Magento the X-cart team supports the platform well if any bugs arise. I’ve seen Magento clients pay for support which is in the thousands and still get crappy support.

Note: I’ve moved a running marketplace with over 10k vendors from a Magento marketplace to an Xcart Marketplace. Hands down, the X-cart marketplace is the best on the market.