X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 5 (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Backup Master module (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=73982)

xplorer 05-18-2016 10:44 AM

Backup Master module

Hi!

We have released a new module for X-Cart 5 - "Backup Master"!

With this module you can create full backups of your online shop. Later, in case of any server or software issues with the website, you can restore your shop to a working condition from these backup files.

Feel free to ask any questions about the module in this forum thread.

Thanks!
Slava

kevinrm 05-18-2016 11:35 AM

Re: New module for X-Cart 5 - Backup Master

That looks good to me. Where is the backup kept, however? Is it scheduled? Will it upload to Dropbox, etc?

xplorer 05-18-2016 01:12 PM

This module works with manual backups only and store files in the var/tmp/ directory on the server.

But there is a "pro" version of the module that is being developed at the moment. This version will create automatic backups and store archives on cloud services. Plus other interesting things :-) Stay tuned.

hartwellj 05-18-2016 02:30 PM

I hope this is a FULL 1:1 backup and restore, including database and all files and .httaccess. Many backups say backup, but you still have to do some manual work to get it working.

I'm not convinced. There are the files, the database, and the hidden files to all restore.

kevinrm 05-18-2016 07:20 PM

I will buy the "Pro" version when it comes out as long as it is reasonably priced. There is a similar backup module I used on XC4.6 that would automatically backup the shop and upload it to DropBox on a scheduled basis, it worked well for me.

I think it's important to save backups off site, you never know when your whole damn server will die on you.

xplorer 05-18-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hartwellj
I hope this is a FULL 1:1 backup and restore, including database and all files and .httaccess. Many backups say backup, but you still have to do some manual work to get it working.

The module creates archive files and includes files and database tables that are parts of X-Cart 5. To restore the site you should unpack the archive to the server and import the dump from the archive to the database.

If you have third-party database tables, or have scripts that are not installed as XC5 modules, or store files/resources outside of "images", "files" and "public" directories, you may need to backup these 3rd-party files manually.

cflsystems 05-19-2016 09:28 AM

This repeats the mistake the XC4 module does. Backup everything within the XC installation directory and everything within the XC database. Not selectively only XC stock files/tables.
This is not full backup and defeats the purpose of having it if user still have to do manual backup of 3rd party modules.

Who will purchase this module? An advanced user will not purchase it as he/she can do this without the module especially if there is still manual backup to be done.
The module is useful to a person that doesn't know how to create these backups and yet you are still asking them to do manual backups in addition to the ones module does...

This is a great module as long as it fully backs up the XC working directory and database.

xplorer 05-19-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

This is not full backup and defeats the purpose of having it if user still have to do manual backup of 3rd party modules.

It does include 3rd-party modules into the backup. What I say is that it won't include files from, for example, "mydata" directory because X-Cart 5 knows nothing about that directory. The same is for the database - it will include tables of 3rd-party modules.

cflsystems 05-19-2016 12:46 PM

Let's say the cart is installed in root. There is a directory in root which is not stock XC5. Will the backup include this directory?

Or more simple question - does the module backs up everything found under the cart installation directory and everything found within the cart database?

I don't expect if cart is installed under "store" subdirectory the backup to include "test" directory under root but everything under "store" should be included.

kevinrm 05-19-2016 09:39 PM

From my point of view, I don't want it to backup everything in the root, only the X-Cart related items. For example, I have an autoresponder in the /auto directory, I don't want this thing backing that up - only X-Cart items.