X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Dev Questions (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   XC SEO v1.1.0 Released (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=25297)

intel352 10-08-2007 07:09 PM

Re: XC SEO v1.1.0 Released

have you made sure all modifications were made to the code? in addition to the installer, you have to make several manual modifications to the code.

if you'd like, PM the server details and I'll check into it for you

derrick 10-20-2007 04:42 PM

I'm experiencing a strange problem.
I installed XCSEO1.2.0 on my test server and everything works fine (MySQL 5, PHP5, Apache2, Linux). I have also installed on another test site of mine running MySQL4, PHP4 where it also works fine.

When I installed on the customers site (MySQL4, PHP4) and enable in the admin module section, it creates all of the links correctly, but the browser eventually gives up with an unable to resolve error message. I assumed that it was probably an .htaccess/mod rewrite issue, but this is where it gets pretty strange. If I disable the XCSEO module, and manually type in the equivalent of one of the NEW URLs, it resolves perfectly. If I re-enable the module and type the exact same URL into the browser, I get the unable to resolve error message?

To ensure that I created all of the files, etc correctly, I copied the entire xcart directory from the customer to my test site and it works fine on my test site (along with the exact same .htaccess files). So, I am confident I don't have any XCSEO install issues.

Does this sound like a hosted mod rewrite issue (maybe an old version of apache?) or something else?

intel352 10-21-2007 05:26 PM

if you'd like, contact me with access info for the site in question. i'll take a look.

btw, if you have access to the apache logs for that site, the problem can probably be tracked through the logs. usually CPanel has that info.

derrick 10-21-2007 06:32 PM

I just sent you a PM.
The clients hosting provider has their own homegrown control panel (not cpanel). I'll see what I can find regarding web logs.
Don't spend a lot of time on it, as the whole site will be moving to a dedicated server prior to launching it. It is loaded with almost 17,000 products that they are updating daily.

-Derrick

intel352 10-23-2007 05:12 PM

just so other XC SEO users are aware, the issue derrick reported was due to a server software problem. the development server was not properly filling the PHP $_SERVER variable, which caused breakage in XC SEO. This is not common.

derrick 10-23-2007 06:07 PM

Jon,

Sorry, I did not get back here to post the final resolution.

As Jon said, the issue ended up being purely an issue with the one-off shared hosting provider the client is using. The client was staging on this hosting company server and is about to go live on a different dedicated server.

Today I finished the testing of their production server and XC SEO v1.2.0 works perfectly. This customer has a database of over 16,000 products and have excellent performance and now SE friendly URLs!

Thanks for some great work Jon!

-Derrick

btw - Jon really went above and beyond to verify, beyond a doubt, that it really was a server issue. Very professional.

a1deano 10-28-2007 12:29 PM

Hi could anyone advise me on this i have the DSEFU mod installed would i benefit by installing this XC SEO.

Many thanks Dean

economedical 10-28-2007 01:15 PM

These would not work together, the mods actually work by essentially changing a .php to a .html so two would not function properly, its one or the other, you cant change twice so to speak.

intel352 10-28-2007 02:41 PM

DSEFU essentially performs the same functionality as XC SEO.

DSEFU is a commercial non-free closed source mod for X-Cart, XC SEO is a completely free open source mod for X-Cart

they both redirect users from php URLs to HTML urls, replacing the static HTML catalog functionality of X-Cart.

when XC SEO it had a more complete feature-list than DSEFU, but since then, DSEFU has caught up, so both mods are very similar, only difference is Cost (DSEFU of course comes with support, since they charge you for the mod, which always is a good thing to have).

If you want an SEO mod that would be a "step up", I would have to recommend CDSEO (websitecm.com), as it allows you to fully customize your category and product urls.

Cheers

-Jon Langevin

lovetree 11-01-2007 06:26 AM

I need to modify XC SEO to parse/filter additional strings in url, particularly an another $_GET string. i.e. "cat=4&retailcat=5"

Has anyone done this?