X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Dev Questions (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Boost SEO with better ALT text - V4.0.x (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=16546)

shan 09-29-2005 05:57 AM

i edited the main post to to strip html tags from the detailed description when its used as alt tags

rossco 09-30-2005 07:35 AM

Shan, Hi

Any thoughts on the 4.0.12 issue and the question raised by MythNreality?

Allan

shan 10-02-2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossco
Shan, Hi

Any thoughts on the 4.0.12 issue and the question raised by MythNreality?

Allan

Hi Allan,

the mod will pretty much work for any version. Its just passing the description via the $alt variable to the thumbnail template. If you follow the code in the first post you shouldnt have any problems

mffowler 10-04-2005 04:29 PM

Thanks shan! This a great mod. I just implemented a three column thumb. display for recommends and the alt addition improved it even more.

For anyone who doesn't completely see the value: one can't underestimate the value of data on a web page. A search engine can hit a site at any level of the hierarchy and having random content (even on the html catalog pages) of high value (like alt and tilte tags) can send a spider amongst the stack vs. level by level like most straight formed site maps.

One thing to keep in mod: never over do it. Keep it simple, but make simplicity count for something. At the end of the day, content is king and having valuable dynamic content of value is what make Google to begin with......

Thanks shan.

- Mike

mffowler 10-04-2005 04:31 PM

Oh... another decent SEO trick is tweaking Smarty. Use replacement code to have better, longer, more detailed product naming without a huge string used for every call. this works in the ALT and TITLE tags as well as any other Smarty call for a spread.

- Mike

Isleman 01-26-2006 01:36 AM

I am very keen to get this Mod on my website but it doesn't work .
After I aply the modified files instead of thumbnail product name i would expect to see the truncated description but I don't get anything .
Do you think is it because i use Dsefu Mod ? Anybody used these mod combined with Safetynet Dsefu Mod ?

Here is a portion of my products_t.tpl

{* SAFETYNET DSEFU MOD *}
{if $enable_seo_links == "Y"}
{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$products[product].productid image_x=$config.Appearance.thumbnail_width product=$products[product].product tmbn_url=$products[product].tmbn_url}

{else}
{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$products[product].productid image_x=$config.Appearance.thumbnail_width product=$products[product].product tmbn_url=$products[product].tmbn_url}

{/if}
{* END SAFETYNET DSEFU MOD *}

As you can see I am not sure to which line to apply the mod . I tried either but not luck .

hooter 01-26-2006 01:52 AM

@Isleman,

Has nothing to do with DSEFU mod - if you follow Shan's instructions implicitly from the top of this thread and place the code where he says to place it, it will work. 8)

PM me your ftp info and I'll get it working for you.

Isleman 01-26-2006 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooter
@Isleman,

Has nothing to do with DSEFU mod - if you follow Shan's instructions implicitly from the top of this thread and place the code where he says to place it, it will work. 8)

PM me your ftp info and I'll get it working for you.

Hooter excellent job is working like a treat .
I just tested now with a keyword density analyzer and what can I say " wow".
All the alt tags are picked up now with my keywords.
This mod toghether with DSEFU mod is the best x-cart add-on for SEO.

P.S. As you could see on my website I had Bestsellers on the left side . Before they use to have an alt tag just with the product title now that is gone and nothing is displayed as an alt tag with them . Is it possible to get the same description ALT tag for these ?

shan 01-27-2006 05:20 AM

I might just release this as a mod as Ive improved on it since i posted it here

cotc2001 01-27-2006 08:04 AM

what a good idea :D i'd probably buy it