X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   X-Payments 1.0 beta5 announcement (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=53981)

exsecror 06-29-2010 07:50 AM

Re: X-Payments 1.0 beta5 announcement

Quote:

Originally Posted by handsonwebhosting
The communication for the general public hasn't been that great with regards to PA-DSS. I actually just talked to a guy yesterday who had no clue what PCI Compliance was, he just wanted his oscommerce store to work (a version from 2003). So it's not just here at X-Cart that people are experiencing frustration, it's the entire industry. People expect the PA-DSS to go the same way as PCI Compliance and not be enforced.

Well to be fair about the osCommerce deal, it's really not his fault, the osCommerce community in general tends to be very terrible these days because of so many people moving to other systems.

balinor 06-29-2010 08:11 AM

So I guess the question is...WHY did Qualiteam code X-Payments to require PHP 5.3? Moot question I guess as it is already done, but it seems like a major headache that could have been avoided.

BritSteve 06-29-2010 08:23 AM

I agree, PHP 5.3 complicates the whole thing immensely.

Steve

exsecror 06-29-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balinor
So I guess the question is...WHY did Qualiteam code X-Payments to require PHP 5.3? Moot question I guess as it is already done, but it seems like a major headache that could have been avoided.

The really was no need to make it proprietary to PHP 5.3 from what I saw when I did a code audit other than maybe the QSA firm possibly forcing the matter.

Emerson 06-29-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Because they would have to pay to have the code qualified now then pay again when re-written for 5.3

rrf 06-29-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

The reason we choose PHP 5.3 was that the standard enforces that all software environment has versions supported by respective developers, with latest security patches installed.

PHP 5.3 was the latest version at the moment we started working on X-Payments (1 year ago).
5.3 will be supported for longer period than 5.2. That means longer lifetime for X-Payments.

rrf 06-29-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerson
Because they would have to pay to have the code qualified now then pay again when re-written for 5.3

Yep, that's close.

ChiLiving 06-29-2010 02:24 PM

But isn't it entirely possible you could have written it for 5.3 while still allowing it to work within 5.X, basically not using the best and newest features but having some backward compatibility?

gb2world 06-29-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

That makes me WAY nervous...I'm not going to install 100 of these only to find out they 'tweaked a few things' in the final release

So many things to be nervous about with how poorly this has been rolled out.

Here was QT responses to me for the same question - I think I will wait:
Quote:

> -
> Should I wait for the released XPAYMENTS mod - the one I installed is beta,
> that is all that is available. Will there be a difference when the released
> version comes out that will require me to have to get you to set it up once
> again?

Most likely the released X-Payments won`t differ from its beta. However i can`t tell it you for sure, i`m afraid.

balinor 06-29-2010 03:43 PM

THAT is exactly why I'm waiting.