X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   More info on upcoming X-Cart 4.3 (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=48000)

xplorer 06-08-2009 11:11 PM

More info on upcoming X-Cart 4.3

Hi everybody,

X-Cart 4.3 is almost ready so I would like to provide you with more information on its features and changes from X-Cart 4.2.

Major changes from 4.2 are:
- built-in X-AOM, X-RMA and Flyout Menus modules;
- built-in X-Cart 4.2 skins plus a new "Vivid Dream" skin plus a 2-column version of "Light&Lucid" skin;
- AJAX minicart and product ratings;
- collapsible categories menu;
- revised backend menu;
- quick order/product/user search function;
- history of order statuses;
- gift wrap option;
- custom title tags;
- integration with Carrier-calculated Shipping API for Google Checkout;
- support for Fraud Management Filters when processing payments by PayPal Website Payments Pro (US & Canada merchants);
- integration with Global Gateway, Amazon SimplePay, NAB Transact, HSBC Secure ePayments (API) and Cybersource (SOAP API) payment gateways;
- support for FedEx Web Services API;
- data import from LiteCommerce;
- multi-tier affiliate plans and rates [X-Affiliate add-on];
- support for many unpopular payment systems is dropped off.

In July we will let you know how to participate in X-Cart 4.3 beta testing (the exact date depends on results of alpha testing our Q&A staff are performing right now).

I will be monitoring this topic for a couple of working days. So, if you have any questions on 4.3 feel free to ask here.

carpeperdiem 06-09-2009 03:32 AM

Re: More info on upcoming X-Cart 4.3

Vyacheslav,

Can you please comment on upgrade scripts that will be available? What is the oldest version database that you will have an upgrade for?

Trying to determine the justification for upgrading from version 4.1.x.

Thanks,

Jeremy

xplorer 06-09-2009 04:10 AM

4.3 will be released with a script upgrading 4.2.1 and 4.1.12 databases up to 4.3. I guess the script will work with older X-Cart versions provided they have the same database structure.

cflsystems 06-09-2009 04:31 AM

In addition to the db upgrade script will there be also upgrade for the cart structure tpl and php files or not?

xplorer 06-09-2009 04:44 AM

There will be no upgrade patches for the source code. Due to the amount of changes the patches wouldn't work without additional programming work for most customized X-Cart installations.

amy2203 06-09-2009 04:48 AM

Is V5 still expected by the end of 2009? seems like a lot of work to upgrade to 4.3 when 5.0 is right around the corner?

xplorer 06-09-2009 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy2203
seems like a lot of work to upgrade to 4.3 when 5.0 is right around the corner?

It depends.

First of all, if you don't need the 4.3 features, there is no reason to upgrade your store. If complex custom modifications were made to your store, there is no reason to upgrade to 4.3 as well.

However, if the custom mods to your store are simple tweaks, I believe upgrade won't require a lot of work from a skilled programmer (especially if it's 4.2->4.3 upgrade). If you have no such skills, you always can order our upgrade services or find a talent programmer in X-Cart community.

P.S. "Late 2009" is still the planned date for X-Cart 5. And we do our best to get X-Cart 5 ready by that date.

hoosierglass 06-09-2009 06:20 AM

OK time for some honest opinion. How far into 2010 do you think it will be before v5 will be deemed stable?

There are some things I would like to do but I will wait if I am not looking at 12-18 months for a stabled version.

Phoenix Tech 06-09-2009 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplorer
Hi everybody,

X-Cart 4.3 is almost ready so I would like to provide you with more information on its features and changes from X-Cart 4.2.

Major changes from 4.2 are:
- built-in X-AOM, X-RMA and Flyout Menus modules;
- built-in X-Cart 4.2 skins plus a new "Vivid Dream" skin plus a 2-column version of "Light&Lucid" skin;
- AJAX minicart and product ratings;
- collapsible categories menu;
- revised backend menu;
- quick order/product/user search function;
- history of order statuses;
- gift wrap option;
- custom title tags;
- integration with Carrier-calculated Shipping API for Google Checkout;
- support for Fraud Management Filters when processing payments by PayPal Website Payments Pro (US & Canada merchants);
- integration with Global Gateway, Amazon SimplePay, NAB Transact, HSBC Secure ePayments (API) and Cybersource (SOAP API) payment gateways;
- support for FedEx Web Services API;
- data import from LiteCommerce;
- multi-tier affiliate plans and rates [X-Affiliate add-on];
- support for many unpopular payment systems is dropped off.

In July we will let you know how to participate in X-Cart 4.3 beta testing (the exact date depends on results of alpha testing our Q&A staff are performing right now).

I will be monitoring this topic for a couple of working days. So, if you have any questions on 4.3 feel free to ask here.

so the AOM - RMA modules as well as the fancy categories will be available as an upgrade to 4.2.1?

i would also just like to double check that if i am still running a standard 4.2.1 cart with no aditional 3rd party mods, will my altered templates be affected when doing the upgrade?

smncc 06-09-2009 03:02 PM

I am new here and just read this post. I currently have XCart Pro 4.2.1 and am having issues trying to set up LinkPoint. So if I understand this correctly, as soon as I figure this issue out AND if I upgrade to the newer version, I will not be able to accept payments via LinkPoint. Is this correct?

NelsonLaRocca 06-09-2009 08:31 PM

I╢m currently running 4.1.11 with a lot of add ons both from x-cart as well other parties. As we plan to launch our 2nd site without external modules it would be nice to start right from the 4.3 branch.

xplorer 06-09-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosierglass
OK time for some honest opinion. How far into 2010 do you think it will be before v5 will be deemed stable?

There are no more "stable" and "development" X-Cart versions. We do our best and change our development processes towards getting new X-Cart versions stable with their first releases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix Tech
so the AOM - RMA modules as well as the fancy categories will be available as an upgrade to 4.2.1?

I can't answer this question right now.

Quote:

i would also just like to double check that if i am still running a standard 4.2.1 cart with no aditional 3rd party mods, will my altered templates be affected when doing the upgrade?

There will be no scripts upgrading the source code (and templates) to 4.3. The script will upgrade the database only. You'll have to upgrade the code manually or order commercial upgrade services (from our company or any third-party developers).

Quote:

Originally Posted by smncc
I am new here and just read this post. I currently have XCart Pro 4.2.1 and am having issues trying to set up LinkPoint. So if I understand this correctly, as soon as I figure this issue out AND if I upgrade to the newer version, I will not be able to accept payments via LinkPoint. Is this correct?

Linkpoint is replaced with Global Gateway:
http://www.linkpoint.com/

So, I guess, if you had an account with Linkpoint, now you are to use Global Gateway. 4.3 will be integrated with Global Gateway.

xplorer 06-09-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Yes, X-AOM and X-RMA modules will be available to all X-Cart 4.2 users free of charge when X-Cart 4.3 is released.

Phoenix Tech 06-14-2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Yes, X-AOM and X-RMA modules will be available to all X-Cart 4.2 users free of charge when X-Cart 4.3 is released.

thanks much apreciated. again thumbs up on the whole x-cart team for their excellent support and service.:D/

hoosierglass 06-24-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

There are no more "stable" and "development" X-Cart versions. We do our best and change our development processes towards getting new X-Cart versions stable with their first releases.

The following is a quote from Ene:
Quote:

The attached file contains patches that fix some annoying bugs of X-Cart v4.2.0.
If you use v4.2.0, I highly recommend you to apply it. After that your v4.2.0 will feel much better : -)

To me that is not stable. For years now upgrades have been released that have had all kinds of problems, but it generally still works. So once a version is release it is a couple of months or more before all the broken parts of x-cart are fixed. Until then those that upgrade are basically guinea pigs doing the beta testing. This is fine as I expect problems with new releases on software that upgraded often and I don't have to pay for upgrades. My point is people should not expect a bug free 4.3 or v.5 release.

Mike

cherie 06-24-2009 05:24 PM

4.1 has been out for a very long time now and yet bugs are still being found. I don't think that makes it unstable.

Light Speed 06-24-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherie
4.1 has been out for a very long time now and yet bugs are still being found. I don't think that makes it unstable.

That really depends on the type of bugs being found.

steve.thompson 06-24-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

There will be no scripts upgrading the source code (and templates) to 4.3. The script will upgrade the database only. You'll have to upgrade the code manually or order commercial upgrade services (from our company or any third-party developers).

The sooner your programmers can separate programming / template / configuration, rather than having all hard-coded, the better for all concerned.

Steve.

ambal 06-30-2009 04:17 AM

rock-n-roll
v4.3 beta is out there

http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=48367

Victor D 06-30-2009 12:53 PM

Are you going to write a manual on custom smarty tags added in 4.2-4.3?

steve.thompson 06-30-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Four days ago, I bought a second licence including X-AOM. Can I get a refund?

Steve.

ambal 07-02-2009 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve.thompson
Four days ago, I bought a second licence including X-AOM. Can I get a refund?

Steve.

Yes, sure if you are within our unconditional 30 days moneyback guarantee

mike5906 07-10-2009 03:08 PM

It would be nice if I could just add X-RMA and AOM without upgrading to 4.3.

cflsystems 07-10-2009 03:25 PM

See post #13
They are not in the 4.2.2 package but I hope in a month or so they will be available

comtele 07-20-2009 05:53 AM

One suggestion, for all versions of x-cart:

Should be put in the form, and sending a registration order, a box accepting the privacy policy and terms.

If no mark, not submit the form or order.

Thanks.

robertswww 07-21-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comtele
One suggestion, for all versions of x-cart:

Should be put in the form, and sending a registration order, a box accepting the privacy policy and terms.

If no mark, not submit the form or order.

Thanks.

Agreed... some credit card companies are getting more strict about this one (i.e. The customer has to agree that he read the Terms & Conditions and accepts them, before he can continue with Checkout). PhilJ has a great implementation of it in this thread:

Terms of Use mandatory
http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=43416

Robert

jeanne 07-25-2009 12:25 PM

Any hope for X-RMA and AOM being released with 4.2.2 before 4.3 comes out?

Victor D 07-27-2009 03:09 PM

As I see roadmap is changed - release of 4.3 is moved to september and 4.2.3 is planned.
Is the current beta a last one or some kind of release candidate will be available also?

enterfusion 07-29-2009 11:53 PM

What are the planned featured for X-cart v5?
Do you plan on having feature parity with your existing cart products as well, AOM, Affiliate program, Special Offers, etc, etc when the release of X-cart v5 is announced?

How soon can we get alpha's or beta's to start experimenting and learning the new system, especially for cart mod-ders like myself.

xplorer 07-30-2009 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor D
As I see roadmap is changed - release of 4.3 is moved to september and 4.2.3 is planned. Is the current beta a last one or some kind of release candidate will be available also?

The current beta is not a last one and we will release X-Cart 4.3 Beta 3 when it is ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enterfusion
What are the planned featured for X-cart v5?

I'm sorry, but for now the only information I can provide is a rough release date published on X-Cart Roadmap page.

amy2203 08-10-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Will these also be available for 4.1 users?

We're currently on 4.1 with quite a few mods, and at this point would probably hold off until v5 before upgrading, but AOM would be a huge help.

ecollier2012 09-06-2009 07:05 PM

Xplorer,

Please consider enhancing the "accept terms and conditions" feature. X-Cart should disable the submit order button until the customer accepts the terms and conditons.

Credit card companies are now starting to enforce this. As a merchant this is one method we can defend our policies.

Great Product - We currently own 4 Licenses of X-Cart Gold!!!

northstar 10-06-2009 07:53 PM

I'm beta testing 4.3, but can't seem to figure out how to have the "collapsible categories menu," which is advertised as an improvement. Perhaps I'm understanding it incorrectly?

I'm assuming this is where the left hand categories menu can expand when it is clicked on, or hovered over?...showing the subcategories? Am I right? Or wrong? And how can I get this to work?

Victor D 10-06-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northstar
I'm beta testing 4.3, but can't seem to figure out how to have the "collapsible categories menu," which is advertised as an improvement. Perhaps I'm understanding it incorrectly?

I'm assuming this is where the left hand categories menu can expand when it is clicked on, or hovered over?...showing the subcategories? Am I right? Or wrong? And how can I get this to work?

The Fancy categories module is added to the main distribution now.

It can be turned on by enabling Flyout Menus in administration -> modules section
categories can be either expandable or dropdown on hover depending on module settings

northstar 10-10-2009 10:47 AM

Perfect! Thank you, Victor!

AJ-UKRS 10-16-2009 06:16 AM

Any idea when 4.3 is out? we are desperate for some of the features mentioned as its currently causing a loss of sales.

sambamu 10-16-2009 01:13 PM

Hope it is released in November.

ambal 10-16-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambamu
Hope it is released in November.

Yes, we are planning to release it in November 2009.
See http://www.x-cart.com/roadmap.html

hoosierglass 10-17-2009 02:01 PM

The big problem I see with a release in November is the time of year. For many folks in the retail sales market this is the big time of year that puts them into the profit side. Many people just cannot risk switching over to a new cart version at the peak of their sales season. With all new releases there are always bugs and patches to deal with. Yes I know QT claims to release only stable versions. One only needs to look at the change logs to see that we have different definitions. :-)

For me it I don't mind minor bugs and doing updates and patches helps me to better understand how my cart functions for me and my customer. Not everyone has that luxury nor wants it. I guess the main point I want to make to QT is to put a little more thought into timings of releases. Think about who uses X-cart and what types of business they are. If 40% of the carts out there are retail sites that rely on holiday sales, then either plan ahead for better timing or push back releases. It is frustrating to think about wanting to upgrade but know you should not risk it if you fall into this category. Add to that frustration watching the creative members of this forum coming up with new tweaks and bells which you cannot attempt until you can upgrade after the holidays.

Sorry QT, I do not mean this as a rant, more of a think about your clients.

SystemSkins 10-26-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

P.S. "Late 2009" is still the planned date for X-Cart 5. And we do our best to get X-Cart 5 ready by that date.

Sigh.... looks like Summer 2010 according to http://www.x-cart.com/roadmap.html