X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 5 (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Backup Master module (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=73982)

Jon 05-24-2016 07:41 AM

Re: New module for X-Cart 5 - Backup Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky
At least you'll have a backup copy your X-Cart store can be recovered from.

What is the point in restoring from a backup that doesn't have all the database fields and files required to properly restore?

xplorer 05-24-2016 08:01 AM

Thank you, guys, for the feedback and suggestions!

The ability to include custom database tables and files is a good improvement and we have it in our plans for the "Pro" version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
What is the point in restoring from a backup that doesn't have all the database fields and files required to properly restore?

Well, although most shops don't have any 3rd-party (non-X-Cart) database tables, I saw a number of websites having X-Cart installed along with third-party software in the same database. Let's say you install a custom module and it crashes the shop. There is no need to revert other software to the state that it was a month ago. Moreover, reverting all database tables and files to their past state may result into the loss a month of forum discussions, for example.

rocky 05-24-2016 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon

Sorry for answering with a question on a question, but what's the point of having custom (irrelevant to X-Cart) fields in one database?

As xplorer said if a custom feature is developed as a module for X-Cart (that can't be the other way in X-Cart 5) it will be dumped as well.

So, you'll restore your cart to the 100% working state.

cherie 05-24-2016 08:10 AM

I'm more concerned with custom tables that support X-Cart. Unrelated tables are collateral damage.

rocky 05-24-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherie
I'm more concerned with custom tables that support X-Cart. Unrelated tables are collateral damage.

Custom tables which are part of custom tasks developed as X-Cart modules will be backed up as well.
If it's a custom module and it's installed using default modules installation procedures then X-Cart "knows" about these tables and will include them into backup created by Backup Master.

xplorer 05-24-2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple A Racing
Will this then also be the first module that actually has a detailed changelog issued each time it is upgraded?

I will provide (in this forum thread) information on changes when releasing new versions of the module, like I do for other my modules (for example, for Shop by Brands module: v5.2.5, v5.2.6, v5.2.7, v5.2.8).

Also, I include information on changes in the Main.php script that you can find in the module's directory (classes/XLite/Module/QSL/{module_code}/Main.php).

kevinrm 05-24-2016 10:39 PM

Are the backup files compressed? If I remember right, when I backup the MySQL database from cPanel they are compressed and the stock admin MySQL database backup is not. Just makes it easier to download when they are compressed.

xplorer 05-24-2016 10:49 PM

Yes, the module compresses files and the database dump into a zip archive (or tar/tgz/tbz if ZipArchive extension is not enabled in your PHP server configuration).

xplorer 05-30-2016 03:20 AM

I've uploaded the 5.2.1 version of Backup Master module to the marketplace server.

This version:
- improves the logic that selects files to be incldued into the archive (now it selects all files inside var/ directory except var/tmp/, var/log/ and var/backup/ subdirectories)
- fixes the issue with the backup process hanging up due to restricted directory access permissions
- improves the error reporting and adds a number of detailed error messages
- fixes the bug in checking the free space on the disk

xplorer 05-31-2016 03:54 PM

The new 5.2.2 version of Backup Master module implements a few optimizations that decrease the memory usage when creating backups.