X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Changing design (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Review Reminder Email (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65416)

Johnwiggity 11-20-2012 04:06 AM

Review Reminder Email

I'm trying to modify the Advanced Customer Reviews Review Reminder Email that would be sent.

One, will it send to all customers, or those who have created an account?

Two, where do I modify the review reminder email at?

Thanks.

not_so_young_greg 11-20-2012 05:53 AM

Re: Review Reminder Email

Well, in my case it does not send remainders at all. It shows that they were sent but I find nothing in my mailbox. It works fine in test mode though.
Anybody knows what I am doing wrong?

karina 11-20-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnwiggity
One, will it send to all customers, or those who have created an account?

Yes, reminders will be send to all customers. It doesn't matter if they are registered customers or anonymous.

Quote:

Two, where do I modify the review reminder email at?

Review reminder email can be changed in the 'skin/common_files/mail/html/acr_review_reminder.tpl' file. Please do not forget about the plain template 'skin/common_files/mail/acr_review_reminder.tpl. It should be changed too.

Johnwiggity 11-20-2012 06:38 AM

Thanks.

Is there a language file that is associated with the email text? Also how would I go about testing the email?

karina 11-20-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_so_young_greg
Well, in my case it does not send remainders at all. It shows that they were sent but I find nothing in my mailbox. It works fine in test mode though.
Anybody knows what I am doing wrong?

There are two possible solutions
1. Check your 'send_review_reminders.php' file. If you find such part of code:
PHP Code:

//define('TEST_MODE', true);
//define('TEST_EMAIL', 'testemail@example.com'); 

then uncomment it and replace with:

PHP Code:

define('TEST_MODE'false);
define('TEST_EMAIL'''); 

---- OR -----

2. In the 'send_review_reminders.php' file find the following part of code:
PHP Code:

$result func_acr_send_review_reminders(ORDERS_PER_LAUNCHTEST_MODETEST_EMAIL); 

and replace it with:

PHP Code:

$result func_acr_send_review_reminders(

func_constant('ORDERS_PER_LAUNCH'),

func_constant('TEST_MODE'),

func_constant('TEST_EMAIL')
); 

karina 11-20-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Is there a language file that is associated with the email text?

The 'txt_acr_add_products_reviews' variable is used in this template.

By the way the content of this template can be changed with 'Edit templates' feature in your admin area:
<your_xcart_store>/admin/file_edit.php?dir=%2Fcommon_files%2Fmail%2Fhtml&fi le=%2Fcommon_files%2Fmail%2Fhtml%2Facr_review_remi nder.tpl

Quote:

Also how would I go about testing the email?

Default email is:
http://help.x-cart.com/images/7/72/Acr_review_reminder_email.gif

In my test store I use the following part of code in the '<xcart_root_dir>/send_review_reminders.php' file:
PHP Code:

define('TEST_MODE'true);
define('TEST_EMAIL''mytestemail@example.com'); 

In test mode emails will be sent to the specified TEST_EMAIL only and for ALL orders. I do not recommend use it on the live store.

Johnwiggity 11-20-2012 07:20 AM

Thanks a lot!

John

not_so_young_greg 11-20-2012 07:40 AM

Thanks for quick reply. Yes, the second solution seems to work, I commented out the first two lines though. But it sent a reminder and inserted an Y into my database. Need to test it more but we are almost there.

But it still does not include mail templates. I receive a mail with only product listing and bottom signature. Link is ok.

I get this in my log:
Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "skin/common_files/mail/salutation.tpl" in /var/www/...
but it is there and always has been.
Second, the mail template uses a different coding for some reason.
Could you help me with that?

Johnwiggity 11-20-2012 07:49 AM

One final question is that can I set the reviews.php page to nofollow to avoid SEO duplicate content?

John

karina 11-21-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks for quick reply. Yes, the second solution seems to work, I commented out the first two lines though. But it sent a reminder and inserted an Y into my database. Need to test it more but we are almost there.

If TEST_MODE is 'true' then database is not updated. If TEST_MODE is 'false' then database will be updated with 'Y' in 'xcart_orders' table.

But you can delete these updates with the following SQL-queries:
PHP Code:

DELETE FROM xcart_product_review_reminders;
UPDATE xcart_orders SET review_reminder='N'

As you can see both queries are without any conditions, so ALL reminders that were sent earlier will be deleted. Be careful, use it on the test store only please.

---

Quote:

But it still does not include mail templates. I receive a mail with only product listing and bottom signature. Link is ok.

I get this in my log:
Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "skin/common_files/mail/salutation.tpl" in /var/www/...
but it is there and always has been.
Second, the mail template uses a different coding for some reason.
Could you help me with that?

I suggest to compare reminder template with another one. As example with customer registration notification ('signin_notification.tpl') template, because it also includes 'salutation.tpl'. And also check that customer registration notification email is correct. May be it's the common issue?

But unfortunately I can't say more exactly what is wrong. It will be better if you contact with our support team via helpdesk, they will be glad to help you.

karina 11-21-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

One final question is that can I set the reviews.php page to nofollow to avoid SEO duplicate content?

John, there is no such configuration setting. The link to 'reviews.php' is in the 'skin/common_files/modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/customer_reviews_list.tpl' file, just add 'rel=■nofollow■' code:

<a href="reviews.php" rel=■nofollow■>{$lng.lbl_acr_read_all_reviews}</a>

Johnwiggity 11-21-2012 05:57 AM

Ok thanks a lot. Do you have an opinion on this? It seems like some of the reviews will be shown on 2 different pages the way it is configured and Google will probably see it as duplicates.

not_so_young_greg 11-21-2012 07:17 AM

Thanks Karina again. I managed to get it going with your fixes.
I know it does not insert an Y in test mode - the problem was it did not want to do anything in real mode either. Now it does.
But it still does not want to see any language variables nor include any mail templates. (Mail templates are original and I checked them for errors - seem ok) I managed to do it by hard writing text into mail templates and copying all included files (like mail_header.tpl and others).
Maybe it is because I ran it from the top? But it is suggested in x-cart manual. Maybe it has something to do with permissions?

But it is a bit, well... suprising - it is a fresh installation of 4.5.3 updated to 4.5.4 on Apache server, php 5.2.13. Should work out of the box.
But anyway thanks for your time again.

karina 11-22-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Ok thanks a lot. Do you have an opinion on this? It seems like some of the reviews will be shown on 2 different pages the way it is configured and Google will probably see it as duplicates.

Yes, it will be better to have it by default. We will add nofollow to the module's file. Thank you!

DavyMac 12-12-2012 05:52 AM

I am currently testing ACR and have uncommented the two lines of code in send_review_reminders.php to put the module into test mode and then have invoked the file by entering the URL in the address bar of my browser using the following syntax:
{rootURL}/send_review_reminders.php?key="key value"

My first reaction is the lack of feedback when I invoke the file - the page goes blank without any comfort messages reported. Is that correct behaviour?
Then I don't recieve any review reminder emails.

I assume there have to be orders that are set to dispatched for this module to function, in which case is it possible to set the "Send review reminder to customer in N days" to zero to send the reminder to orders that have only just been set to dispatched?

not_so_young_greg 12-12-2012 06:07 AM

The result page should not go blank. You should get something like :"x orders checked, x remainders sent".
In my case the above message was displayed but nothing was sent.
The second fix Karina posted worked for me.

DavyMac 12-12-2012 06:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give Karina's 2nd fix a go.

DavyMac 12-17-2012 04:16 AM

I'm having no success invoking {rootURL}/send_review_reminders.php?key="key value"
in Test Mode. The instructions are straight forward so I'm sure I've not done anything wrong BUT when I type the command in the browser address bar nothing happens: I do not see "x orders checked, x remainders sent" etc just a blank page.

Just to be clear I have uncommented out the two lines in send_review_reminders.php so that it reads
PHP Code:

define('TEST_MODE'true);         // Set to true to test the script. Do not use on live server!
define('TEST_EMAIL''my email address');           // All reviews requests notifications will be sent to this address in test mode 

and I invoke the file by entering {rootURL}/send_review_reminders.php?key="key value" into the address bar of my browser.

Any suggestions please?

DavyMac 12-17-2012 07:37 AM

I've been stepping through the code and "re-discovered" that when you store a URL in a Microsoft document, such as Outlook mail, it inserts a space character just before the key string!!

That was my problem, the URL I was copying from a draft email and pasting into the address bar had a superfluous space character inserted before the key.

Well, there we go.

DavyMac 01-23-2013 05:32 AM

Within the review reminder email I'd like to include the customer's email address in the link to the add_review.php page so that as well as automatically adding their name to the author field it will add their email address to the email address field for them.

Does anybody see a way of doing this?

carpeperdiem 01-23-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyMac
Within the review reminder email I'd like to include the customer's email address in the link to the add_review.php page so that as well as automatically adding their name to the author field it will add their email address to the email address field for them.

Does anybody see a way of doing this?

I solved this by using the mod, "Remember Me" by WCM
http://www.websitecm.com/x-cart-mods/remember-me.html

If a customer is logged in, then the fields on the write review page will automatically fill using this code (not sure if I added it or if it's stock):

file:
/common_files/modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/customer_add_review.tpl

Code:

<input type="text" name="review[author]" id="author" value="{if $login ne ''}{$fullname}{elseif $stored_review.author}{$stored_review.author|escape}{/if}" size="40" />

(see the {if $login ne ''}, etc....)

and:
Code:

<input type="text" class="input-email" name="review[email]" id="email" value="{if $login ne ''}{$login}{else $stored_review.email|escape}{/if}" size="40" />

If the customer is not logged in, I'm having a hard time justifying the expectation of pre-populating form fields. Does this work better for you?

DavyMac 02-18-2013 08:06 AM

In Test Mode emails are being sent for orders that failed, not finished, payment authorised and awaiting payment yet in the settings "Send review reminder to customer (if order is completed) " is set true?

Not only that but customers that had multiple not finished orders have recieved a review request for each incomplete order!

Has anyone else had this?

DavyMac 02-18-2013 10:48 AM

This is very odd behaviour indeed. Of the 148 orders that were checked to see if a reminder should be emailed to the customer their status was as follows:
8 Awaiting Payment
12 Not Finished
8 Failed
1 Cancelled
60 Dispatched
59 Payment Authorised.

Except for 1 Not Finished and 1 payment Authorised ALL orders were sent an email.

DavyMac 02-20-2013 10:55 AM

Well, apparently the odd behaviour I witnessed is exactly what Test mode is meant to do - it simply provides you with a method of testing the format of the email sent, which I guess is fair enough. Would have been more reassuring to have it run the algorithm that determines who gets a reminder.

DavyMac 02-20-2013 11:00 AM

Now that I'm out of test mode I've experienced the following SQL error:
Remote IP :
Logged as :
SQL query : SELECT product, descr, fulldescr FROM WHERE productid = '2404' LIMIT 1

Error code : 1064

Description :You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to yourMySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE productid = '2404'LIMIT 1' at line 1 Request URI: /send_review_reminders.php?key=

Backtrace:

/home/xxx/public_html/include/func/func.db.php:309
/home/xxx/public_html/include/func/func.db.php:209
/home/xxx/public_html/include/func/func.db.php:522
/home/xxx/public_html/include/func/func.order.php:3144
/home/xxx/public_html/modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/func.php:525
/home/xxx/public_html/modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/func.php:593
/home/xxx/public_html/send_review_reminders.php:92

Does anyone have any ideas please?
Since I have not modified the code I didn't expect to see SQL errors.

DavyMac 02-20-2013 12:00 PM

What can I say? I changed the "Send review reminder to customer in N days " from 9 to 3 and the SQL errors went away.

karina 02-20-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

In Test Mode emails are being sent for orders that failed, not finished, payment authorised and awaiting payment yet in the settings "Send review reminder to customer (if order is completed) " is set true?

Not only that but customers that had multiple not finished orders have recieved a review request for each incomplete order!

Has anyone else had this?

In the test mode the order status is not taken into account.

Quote:

Well, apparently the odd behaviour I witnessed is exactly what Test mode is meant to do - it simply provides you with a method of testing the format of the email sent, which I guess is fair enough. Would have been more reassuring to have it run the algorithm that determines who gets a reminder.

I've added the new condition for test mode: TEST_EMAIL is required now if TEST_MODE is TRUE. If TEST_EMAIL is empty then review reminders will not be sent at all. It will be in the updated version of the module. In this case store owner/developer can specify his/her own email for testing purpose and get test review reminders.

Quote:

SQL query : SELECT product, descr, fulldescr FROM WHERE productid = '2404' LIMIT 1

Description :You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to yourMySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE productid = '2404'LIMIT 1' at line 1 Request URI: /send_review_reminders.php?key=

It seems that $sql_tbl array is not defined for some reason. There are two functions for review reminder in the 'modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/func.php' file:
func_acr_send_review_reminder()
func_acr_send_review_reminders()

Both of them should contain part of code like this:
PHP Code:

global $sql_tbl

Could you please check your file and check if global definition of $sql_tbl is there?

karina 02-21-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

What can I say? I changed the "Send review reminder to customer in N days " from 9 to 3 and the SQL errors went away.

Quote:

This SQL error should not be connected with the "Send review reminder to customer in N days " setting. I've failed to reproduce the same SQL error. However I've investigated this issue and found another possible reason.

Please check your '<xcart_dir>/send_review_reminders.php' file and found this part of code:

PHP Code:

define('SKIP_CHECK_REQUIREMENTS.PHP'true);

require 
'./init.php'

$argv $_SERVER['argv']; 

and replace it with:

PHP Code:

require 
'./init.php'
require 
'./include/get_language.php';

$argv $_SERVER['argv']; 

carpeperdiem 02-21-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karina
However I've investigated this issue and found another possible reason.

Please check your '<xcart_dir>/send_review_reminders.php' file and found this part of code:

PHP Code:

require 
'./init.php'

$argv $_SERVER['argv']; 

and replace it with:

PHP Code:

require 
'./init.php'
require 

$argv $_SERVER['argv']; 

Hi Karina,
Is this an edit you recommend to all ACR installs? Or is this something only needed for stores with more than one language?
Thanks for clarifying and thanks for the constant monitoring and improvements of ACR.
Jeremy

karina 02-21-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Hi Karina,
Is this an edit you recommend to all ACR installs? Or is this something only needed for stores with more than one language?
Thanks for clarifying and thanks for the constant monitoring and improvements of ACR.
Jeremy

Jeremy, yes, it's better to apply this fix to all ACR installs.

More information: I failed to reproduce the SQL error from DavyMac post, but I've faced with another small issue: wrong encoding of review reminder subject line. I've fixed it with the code from my previous post. And I guess my issue and issue from DavyMac post are connected. This issue is actual for module versions for X-Cart v4.5.3, 4.5.4, 4.5.5 only.

DavyMac 02-21-2013 06:57 AM

Hi Karina,

I've checked the functions that you identified in post #27 and in both the $sql_tbl array has been defined.

I've also added the require get_language.php mod that you have prescribed and still get the SQL error if the interval is set for 9 days, but I know this change was required for the subject line fault, which I had noticed in customers' emails that had been rejected by their mail service and bounced back to me.

Just an observation: Running send_review_reminders.php with the above mod found 487 emails to send that were not found yesterday!! Would you have expected this or should I take a closer look at my SQL problem?

DavyMac 02-21-2013 07:21 AM

Here is an example of what the subject line looks like thanks to a customer using a waitlist:

Quote:

Dear sender,

Yourmessage "=?UTF-8?B?RGVhciBLYXRoZXJpbmUsIHlvdXIgb3BpbmlvbiBtYXR0ZX JzIHRvIERhbmNlbWFuaWEgRGFuY2V3ZWFy?="to me was waitlisted.

Get your message to my inbox by clicking the following link.

This was generated after I had included the above mod.

karina 02-21-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Hi Karina,

I've checked the functions that you identified in post #27 and in both the $sql_tbl array has been defined.

I've also added the require get_language.php mod that you have prescribed and still get the SQL error if the interval is set for 9 days, but I know this change was required for the subject line fault, which I had noticed in customers' emails that had been rejected by their mail service and bounced back to me.

Below is investigation about possible reason of SQL error.

1. The mentioned SQL-error is from include/func/func.order.php, 3144:

/home/xxx/public_html/include/func/func.order.php:3144

Let's have a look at this line of code:
PHP Code:

$local func_query_first("SELECT product, descr, fulldescr FROM {$sql_tbl['products_lng_' $code]} WHERE productid = '$pid'"); 

This is the 'func_translate_products()' function. It's used for every type of emails to customer in X-Cart.

2. From SQL error we can make a conclusion that '$sql_tbl['products_lng_' . $code]' is not set. It means that $code contains some language code that is not presented in the store.

The $code is taken from 'language' column of 'xcart_orders' table.

So the possible reason is: there are some orders with language that don't have assosiated tables in database. But I cannot say exactly why. May be there was some language and later it was removed?

Check your 'xcart_orders' table with MySQL query:
Code:

select distinct(language) from xcart_orders;
And check that tables for these languages are presented:
Code:

show tables like 'xcart_products_lng_%' ;

Quote:

Just an observation: Running send_review_reminders.php with the above mod found 487 emails to send that were not found yesterday!! Would you have expected this or should I take a closer look at my SQL problem?

I'm not sure that SQL-error and number of emails are connected.

It can be caused by the limitation in the 'send_review_reminders.php':
PHP Code:

define('ORDERS_PER_LAUNCH'500);   // How much orders should be handled by script per launch. 

It means that only 500 orders will be checked by script per launch. This limitation was added to prevent high loading. Do not worry, all emails will be sent to completed orders gradually.

DavyMac 02-21-2013 09:26 AM

Hi Karina, I think you've solved my problem :D/

The xcart_orders table had a mix of languages, 'en' and 'US' - and for us the correct language is 'en', for which we have products_lng_en table but we don't have a 'products_lng_US table.

Clearly the mix-up occurred during database upgrade and syncing because new orders since going live have language = 'en'.

It all makes perfect sense, because when I set the delay period to 3 days I set the first order number to be since the upgraded site went live, so language would have been 'en' and no SQL error raised. So you are right that 9 days or 3 days made no difference. When I used 9 days I set first order to be from the "old" site.

I shall update the xcart_orders table to set all orders to 'en' and report back. At the risk of being premature - thank you very much :D

I hear what you say about only 500 orders being checked at a time - that's good.

DavyMac 02-21-2013 12:41 PM

Karina,

Updating my xcart_orders.language column has fixed my SQL error. Thank you.

But, I'm still not seeing a sensible subject line in the outgoing email reminder, I'm seeing things like:

Subject:=?UTF-8?B?RGVhciBUcmFjeSwgeW91ciBvcGluaW9uIG1hdHRlcnMgdG 8gRGFuY2VtYW5pYSBEYW5jZXdlYXI=?=

karina 02-22-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Karina,

Updating my xcart_orders.language column has fixed my SQL error. Thank you.

But, I'm still not seeing a sensible subject line in the outgoing email reminder, I'm seeing things like:

Subject:=?UTF-8?B?RGVhciBUcmFjeSwgeW91ciBvcGluaW9uIG1hdHRlcnMgdG 8gRGFuY2VtYW5pYSBEYW5jZXdlYXI=?=

Please check your file 'modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/func.php'. There is the function func_acr_send_review_reminder(). Two global variables are responsible for right encoding, $to_customer and $all_languages. These variables should be presented in the function. Please, check if they are there.

The code is below:
PHP Code:

function func_acr_send_review_reminder($userinfo$products$test_email '') {
    global 
$sql_tbl$config$mail_smarty$to_customer$all_languages;

if (
        (!isset(
$products) || !is_array($products)) 

Let me know about results.

DavyMac 02-22-2013 04:01 AM

Hi Karina,

No, they are both abscent: $to_customer, $all_languages are not declared as global.

carpeperdiem 02-22-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karina
These variables should be presented in the function. Please, check if they are there.

The code is below:
PHP Code:

global 
$sql_tbl$config$mail_smarty$to_customer$all_languages;

if (
        (!isset(

Let me know about results.

Karina,

FYI, this is absent from my installation as well.
My ACR came with 4.5.4 gold plus distribution.
I can confirm that the file that came in 4.5.4 goldplus, looks like this:

line 467
PHP Code:

global 
$sql_tbl$config$mail_smarty

But I don't think I am having the same problem. At least my customers have not said anything and I am sending many review reminders daily. I don't recall seeing this issue during testing.

???

DavyMac 02-25-2013 10:15 AM

Karina,

I added $to_customer and $all_languages to the Global declarations and the subject line is still not correct.

Interestingly, when in Test Mode the subject is correct.

karina 02-26-2013 05:04 AM

To summarize up:
=================
"How to fix wrong encoding in review reminder email?"

1. Open your '<xcart_dir>/send_review_reminders.php' file and found this part of code:

PHP Code:

require 
'./init.php'

$argv $_SERVER['argv']; 

and replace it with:
PHP Code:

require 
'./init.php'
require 

$argv $_SERVER['argv']; 

2. Open your '<xcart_dir>/modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/func.php' file and found this part of code:
PHP Code:

global 
$sql_tbl$config$mail_smarty;

if (
        (!isset(

and replace it with:
PHP Code:

global 
$sql_tbl$config$mail_smarty$all_languages$to_customer;

if (
         (!isset(

3. In the '<xcart_dir>/modules/Advanced_Customer_Reviews/func.php' file found this part of code:
PHP Code:

$result func_send_mail($email'mail/acr_review_reminder_subj.tpl''mail/acr_review_reminder.tpl'$config['Company']['site_administrator'], true); 

and replace it with:
PHP Code:

$result func_send_mail($email,  'mail/acr_review_reminder_subj.tpl''mail/acr_review_reminder.tpl',  $config['Company']['site_administrator'], false); 

=================