X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Online security webinar Nov 27 at 9am PST/12pm EST (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65405)

mikeXCART 11-19-2012 08:50 AM

Online security webinar Nov 27 at 9am PST/12pm EST

We're making another webinar. Now it's about web security and in cooperation with StopTheHacker.

Agenda:
* Overview of web security and risks.
* Most common ways websites get hacked and ways to counter them.
* General advice on protecting entire website.
* X-Cart specific recommendations.
* Questions and Answers.

Time:
November 27 at 9am PST/12pm EST

UPDATE1:
Here is the recording of the webinar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBXmEqBvYk

UPDATE2:
In addition, StopTheHacker gives a special deal to X-Cart users -
50% discount.

Check special deal >> http://promo.stopthehacker.com/xcart

It’s valid till December 2nd. Take it while it lasts!

cflsystems 11-19-2012 09:25 AM

Re: Online security webinar Nov 27 at 9am PST/12pm EST

Will attend. Registration - I went to that page, entered my details, clicked on "register" - there was no confirmation, the page just redirected to x-cart.com front page. I have no idea if I am registered now or not. You may want to look into this and provide confirmation page. There is an email send though...

ambal 11-19-2012 10:21 AM

Steve, thank you for noting that. We'll address this issue tomorrow (it is 10pm here).

carpeperdiem 11-19-2012 12:06 PM

I had the same ugly redirect to home page experience.

I did receive an email confirmation though.

clickwebinar.com should have a "successful registration page", but they don't. Sloppy.

mikeXCART 11-19-2012 11:23 PM

Hey, people. I fixed that thing with registration. Thanks for pointing it out.

totaltec 11-20-2012 09:46 AM

Works perfectly now. Thanks

BBM_ 11-24-2012 07:08 AM

I'll also do my best to attend, however due to the time difference will this be recorded and available later at all?

ambal 11-25-2012 07:02 AM

BBM_, yes, we are going to record the webinar and publish it via our Youtube channel

ambal 11-27-2012 07:39 AM

The webinar is to start soon!
9am PST/12pm EST

cflsystems 11-27-2012 09:25 PM

So no comments on the webinar yet?

I attended. Not sure if there were any issue with others connecting, this time I had no problem with this. But the sound was kinda distorted at times and even went off couple times.

Couldn't hep but notice that the speaker took some time (maybe like 7-8 minutes) to advertise the services they do instead of talking about web security (maybe that was part of the deal with QT).

One thing he mentined - avoid using IE7/8 (not to mention 6) - I am all for that but you have to consider many corporate networks still using IE6 ?! yes, and many will be on IE 7/8 for years to come...

Other than that the webinar covered many things that everyone will say - yes I know this, I am doing it, I am aware of all this... yet we get many sites hacked every day and many XC stores still using "master" as admin login with some very simple password...

Overall I think everyone should reference this webinar and keep it as short checklist what to do (not) when comes to securing their website the best they can

bigredseo 11-27-2012 10:53 PM

Good to hear that it was a success Steve. I wasn't available to attend (still getting back on my feet after the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend). I'd love to hear how many people attended, and if the busiest shopping weekend of the year played any factor in people showing up to the webinar. I know it did for me!

ambal 11-28-2012 12:43 AM

Here is the recording of the webinar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBXmEqBvYk

This webinar collected more people that our previous one about PCI compliance despite of Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

We had to extend the webinar for another 15 minutes to address questions and some of the questions were left without answer due to time constraints.

kevfromwiganinlancashire 11-28-2012 04:01 AM

I listened to the webinar on my iPad on 3G in a car park near Didsbury, there was a good signal but got cut off twice and sometime sound quality became poor.

Other than that I enjoyed the event and took a few notes for issues. When I get time/soon I might had I will be going through them 1 by 1.

Can we get a replay of it anywhere?

Wigan (kevin Morley)

kevfromwiganinlancashire 11-28-2012 04:02 AM

doh, just seen the link Alex

Wigan

ambal 11-28-2012 04:03 AM

Kevin,

> Can we get a replay of it anywhere?

I published it above. Check my older messages here. I'll put the link into the 1st thread message, too.

carpeperdiem 11-28-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handsonwebhosting
Good to hear that it was a success Steve. I wasn't available to attend (still getting back on my feet after the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend). I'd love to hear how many people attended, and if the busiest shopping weekend of the year played any factor in people showing up to the webinar. I know it did for me!

I am still recovering from the weekend. We had record transactions in spite of failures of our shopping cart. I would have been at the webinar had I not been up to my ears. Any other day would have been better -- for MERCHANTS the week before and after black friday is sacred time -- if the intended audience is ecom professionals, the timing kinda sucked, yes?

Ene 11-28-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflsystems
One thing he mentined - avoid using IE7/8 (not to mention 6) - I am all for that but you have to consider many corporate networks still using IE6 ?! yes, and many will be on IE 7/8 for years to come...

In some cases Google Chrome Frame is a good workaround for this problem:

http://www.google.com/chromeframe?hl=en&user=true
http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/chrome-frame-getting-started/chrome-frame-faq#TOC-Do-I-need-to-...-Chrome-Frame-
http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/chrome-frame-getting-started/chrome-frame-faq#TOC-Will-Google-C...r-less-secure-

totaltec 11-28-2012 10:38 AM

I enjoyed the webinar. No problems with the audio, I suggest that the presenter could have had a better microphone. He also could have tailored his presentation more towards X-cart simply by substituting his WordPress examples with XC. Overall though I think he did a good job covering the bases.

Just a little too much selling his services and not enough focus on XC. I think you could connect better with your audience if you presented the webinar yourself. Perhaps it could be scripted and pre-recorded using screen capture. You could hire a native english speaker to record the body of the presentation that has been scripted by your team and possibly adjusted slightly by the speaker.

After the scripted, pre-recorded section (maybe about 30-45 minutes) you go into a question and answer session. To get instant feedback from the audience and not depend upon email I highly recommend a question and answer system that allows us to enter questions directly into the chat box. These questions can then be moderated by your team, and posted on the audience screen only when the question is being answered. This helps the listeners to remember the question while they are listening to the answer.

One system that I am familiar with that features such a setup is adobe connect.

Anyway these are just some ideas on how I think it could be improved. I think it was very successful, it looked like you had great attendance.
I'd never read the developers section before, seems like a great idea for those that are truly stuck and can't upgrade. New trick has been added to toolset. Thanks.

cflsystems 11-28-2012 01:33 PM

Yes this can help me :) but I was talking about corporate network where user is stuck with whatever the network/system admin allows and in most cases a good admin will not allow end users to install anything on the system by themself including browser addons or standalone program....

bigredseo 11-28-2012 09:13 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the webinar. I'll be sure to hit play here over the weekend and have a run through what was going on.

Webinars are always tough - usually the first 15-20 minutes are the presenters sales pitch, and then they squeeze in the information after that. Too often do I attend webinars that are a sales pitch rather than an education. I get that the person presenting needs to get something out of it, but as suggested by Mike, since it's your product, maybe you guys could run the show and just bring in the experts on the sections needed.

I haven't gone through the video yet, but I'm sure I'll post a followup here on this thread. It's nice to see some activity in the webinar field for X-Cart - it's something that hasn't really made a presence over the years.

mikeXCART 11-29-2012 03:43 AM

Thank you people. We'll see to what can be done to the matters you point out and work to improve the next webinar.

And we've got stats. Number of visitors: 136. And 132 video veiws so far.

Thank you for participating and supporting us. :)

carpeperdiem 11-29-2012 04:32 AM

I watched the youtube. And I want my 45 minutes back.
I had this on my calendar, but a client emergency called me away. I am so happy that I made money for the hour instead of watching this sales pitch.

I'm not going to be the cheerleader here.

Since there are many, many, many, many, many steps to operating a secure website, this webinar would be step 95 out of 100 in my book. That is, I think there are 94 things that I think are WAY more important before even thinking of identifying malware.

Next time: forget the 3rd party selling stuff. A truly valuable webinar from a 3rd party will be entirely about X-Cart, and oh, by the way, "we have a product that can help you too..."

BBM_ 11-29-2012 05:32 AM

Thanks for putting this webinar together, however as mentioned above I think there would be a far richer source of relevant information that could be obtained from many of the contributors of this forum.

Understandably the presenter wants to present their marketing spiel, however for our X-cart specific tips to be honest there was very little. The main suggestion mentioned was the fingerprint system - (which should be automatic system btw) - however we were told to stay tuned on this (which I will because I have some other carts that do this brilliantly, sadly it's lacking in X-cart).

Why not do a webinar once a month on different topics featuring Qualiteam, as well as some of the excellent contributors from the forum?

I would happily attend these if people like Handson, WebsiteCM, BCSE participated in return for them have some time allotted to advertise, or educate us on their products.

It would also be great if developer like CFLSystems, BabyMonkey and others chipped in as well (maybe users could even nominate who they would love to hear from and you could ask if they are willing to participate?)

Lastly you could have an end user present their experience with the cart.

A topic could be outlined 1 month in advance and people can submit questions prior so some can be covered, then a live element to ask a few at the conclusion of the presentation.

Not only can we learn from the rich resource pool here, but it will help to grow the community.

Lastly, any chance they can be scheduled a touch later? 4am is early!

Just my 2c & thanks.

ambal 11-29-2012 05:36 AM

BBM_, thank you for raising a very good point.

JFYI: we welcome anyone to do a joint webinar with us. The only condition is that such webinar must be educational for visitors (while some advertising is possible in exchange for your help).

Said so I want to note that we need speakers and experts to participate in our webinars - suggest your ideas by posting messages here.

If you want to be a speaker&expert in our next webinar - PM me!