X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Dev Questions (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   More Effective "Related/Upsell products" view (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=2465)

YuriC 04-26-2003 05:57 PM

More Effective "Related/Upsell products" view

Halo,

Recently installed x-cart. One of the few things I'd improve is the Related Products module. The original module only shows you the titles of the products you want to upsell... It is not enough to make a visitor click on them. You need to have a small description of what the product is, even add a thumbnail image of the product.
Also dont forget adding [click here] everywhere where u might need it; something extra to "click" the visitors mind to click that mouse

Anyways.. if one finds it useful (see it live on www.worldhealthproducts.com)
Code:

/skin/modules/upselling_products

{* $Id: related_products.tpl,v 1.7 2002/10/22 10:27:05 olga Exp $ *}
{* Modified by -=acidleak=-  *}
{if $product_links ne ""}
{capture name=dialog}
<table border=0 cellspacing=5>
{section name=cat_num loop=$product_links}
<tr class="ItemsList">
<td width=1%></td>
<td width=99%>
<table>

<tr><td>
<a href="product.php?productid={ $product_links[cat_num].productid }" target=_blank>
{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$product_links[cat_num].productid image_x=35 product=$product_links[cat_num].productid}
</a>
</td>
<td>
<a href="product.php?productid={ $product_links[cat_num].productid }" target=_blank>
<font class=ProductTitle>{$product_links[cat_num].product}</font>

</a>
{$product_links[cat_num].descr|truncate:300:"...":true}

[{$lng.lbl_see_details}]
</a>
</td></tr>
</table>
<!--
{$lng.lbl_our_price}: {include file="currency.tpl" value=$product_links[cat_num].price}
{ $product_links[cat_num].product|escape}
-->
</td>
</tr>
{/section}
</table>
{/capture}
{include file="dialog.tpl" title=$lng.lbl_related_products content=$smarty.capture.dialog extra="width=100%"}
{/if}

------
Failure is not an option...
it comes with your microsoft product

adpboss 04-26-2003 07:46 PM

To be honest, I would love a pop up or new window that has the related products in it, with add to cart buttons.

That would be really cool.

8)

Nice mod btw

gman 10-28-2004 01:21 PM

I just wanted to thank YuriC for this. I knew if I looked long enough (over a week) on this forum someone would have thought of this.

Thanks Yuri!!!

greenpac 10-29-2004 05:44 AM

Thank you! How can I edit this to show products in columns?

Sonia 03-14-2005 10:22 AM

This code doesn't seem to be working for 4.0.12. Is it just me? The description is not showing up...

mffowler 03-20-2005 02:56 PM

Balinor has a mod in the forum that upsells with images. I integrated it and then put it into the product.tpl, so that it shows up below the product description.

I have to say ... there are mods that actually make you more sales and this is one of them. If you are going to do integrate any mod, you should ask yourself first if it will help your sales.

Our orders continue to grow in size with implementations like "multiple product" ordering on one page. For upselling, don't overdo it and keep it creative- not too many reciprocating upselling products and a lot of products may not benefit by upselling. Reciprocal linking and standardized displays get old, but targeted sales is a customer helper and a lot of us have purchased products hat were upsold on Amazon or other ...

- Mike

balinor 03-20-2005 04:52 PM

Jon's EZ Upsell mod is also a fantastic addition.

And yes, since the above code is from 2002, I would guess it won't work in 4.0.x. :)

Chris B 03-16-2007 09:02 AM

Re: More Effective "Related/Upsell products" view

To make the short description show up using YuriC's mod in 4.0.19, do the following:

Go to modules/Upselling_Products/related_products.php change the following code:

$sql_tbl[products].productcode,

to:

$sql_tbl[products].descr, $sql_tbl[products].productcode,

That should be it, then YuriC's code will work... at least with 4.0.19

Chris

matthewstroh 02-06-2008 06:48 PM

Absolutely awesome. And it works perfectly in 4.1.9 for some reason. Even without Chris B's modification. Great work!

razorblade 02-11-2008 07:32 PM

fantastic!