X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   General questions (X-Cart 5) (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Updating Description HTML via Import (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=76834)

Matthew Moran 02-19-2019 11:29 AM

Updating Description HTML via Import

I've had a few instances where complex HTML descriptions break the cvs upload file. I am curious how people update many product descriptions - particularly those with any complex HTML?

Also, I'm curious how you might be writing the HTML descriptions for your products - if you are doing it offline?

I've successfully connected a desktop app to my MySQL db and can use that to upload product description data - though I do so with some trepidation. I only do so after products have been created and I have the ID. I don't generate any new products this way.

qualiteam 02-27-2019 06:09 AM

Re: Updating Description HTML via Import

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Matthew.
I import HTML using the embedded CSV import/export feature, and it hasn't broken anything so far.
I am attaching a CSV file that I justed tested, and it worked perfectly.

Maybe there is something specific that breaks the layout in your CSV file.

Please send it here, I will have a look.

Matthew Moran 03-04-2019 08:06 AM

Hi Alex,

I just got around to looking over the csv file. I have created fairly complex HTML and been able to update via csv - though, it still makes me nervous.

I do have a question about scalability. If you are updating hundreds of products, how are you creating the csv file?

Currently, I'm creating an HTML template that will be used for most of my client's products - with specifics pulled from a SQL database we are developing for their in-house sales and management team to update. Based on the data they input, the product description information is updated using the template.

In any case, how many products do you update or manage this way and how do you update your csv file efficiently?

I posted another question and am curious also about how others might be updating open graph data as well. Again, at this point, I've created an in-house tool that generates custom open graph data for the title, description, and default image.

qualiteam 03-06-2019 09:58 AM

I don't update many products actually, something around 50.
I think it is better to ask store owners how they do it.

How many did you have when it broke the import?

Matthew Moran 03-06-2019 10:24 AM

Hi Alex,

Isn't this forum where I would ask other store owners? If so, consider the question asked. ;-)

It wasn't the number of products being updated, it was creating/updating the HTML to be well-formed in a cell in Excel to ensure it remains in the proper column.

If a mistake is made with a comma outside of a quotation mark, it becomes pretty simple to break the upload. Plus updating those HTML descriptions has it's own challenges when considering updating several (100-500) products at once.

At this point, we either have an HTML document with sections (using ID's) that includes the short description and the expanded description. I can extract those HTML sections by product for a given upload and write directly to the MySQL DB or add these sections to a csv (Excel file) based on the sku.

But still working out the management for my client.

Thanks.