X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Dev Questions (X-Cart 5) (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Clean URLs in 5.2.5 (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=72271)

bob@n-flatables 06-10-2015 12:14 PM

Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Ever since 5.2.5, cleanURLs are working differently. Instead of this:

domain.com/category/subcategory/product.html

it is now:

domain.com/product.html?category_id=10



Why did this change? It is less aesthetically pleasing and less functional for the consumer. Is it a setting that can be changed back? Or let the cleanURL field contain forward slashes?

tony1100 06-10-2015 12:19 PM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
it looks clean url function is been disable or not working

bob@n-flatables 06-10-2015 12:30 PM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Well it is using the clean url I specify for the "product.html" part. It's just not including the category path; instead it adds "?category=" after the .html.

Clean urls are working for the category pages.

mohammadUMAR 06-12-2015 10:51 PM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Hi,

yes right, clean URL is displaying category_id. It should not display it. Our store is URL is http://www.meditools.com.au/shop/sheep-tail-docking-banding-elastrator.html?category_id=97

How to fix it?

Regards,
Umar

tony_sologubov 06-15-2015 05:01 AM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
This category parameter is used for proper navigation and its addition is intended. Could you please let me know why this part should not be there?

It will not cause the duplicated content problem, because canonical tag of the link
Code:

http://www.meditools.com.au/shop/sheep-tail-docking-banding-elastrator.html?category_id=97

will point it to
Code:

http://www.meditools.com.au/shop/sheep-tail-docking-banding-elastrator.html

Please, let me know.

Thank you.

Tony

mohammadUMAR 06-15-2015 05:14 AM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes it should point to http://www.meditools.com.au/shop/sheep-tail-docking-banding-elastrator.html

Kindly let me know how to do it.

Another question, I was trying to edit front page text "This demo online store..." but when I saved it a blank page appeared and when I refreshed the page it didn't changed. Although I have entered the registration key.

Please advice about this too.

Regards,
Umar

tony_sologubov 06-15-2015 05:30 AM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mohammadUMAR
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes it should point to http://www.meditools.com.au/shop/sheep-tail-docking-banding-elastrator.html

Kindly let me know how to do it.


Could you please let me know why is having links with category_id parameter is bad? It will help me to understand your position.

Quote:

Another question, I was trying to edit front page text "This demo online store..." but when I saved it a blank page appeared and when I refreshed the page it didn't changed. Although I have entered the registration key.

Did you try to go to Catalog > Front Page section in admin area and edit this text there?

Please, let me know.

Tony

totaltec 06-15-2015 05:36 AM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
Could you please let me know why is having links with category_id parameter is bad? It will help me to understand your position.

Tony, it is bad if any SEO guy thinks it is bad. And most will think it is bad. And that is enough. :-)

mohammadUMAR 06-15-2015 04:22 PM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Hi Tony,

--Front Page
Yes I'm trying edit FrontPage text from admin Catalog>Frontpage.

--Clean URLs
I'm using 4.1.10 with CDSEO on another site, it creates clean URLs (without any categoryid) then why 5.2.5 can't.

Here's what Google is saying about clean URLs

---------------------------------------------------------------
A site's URL structure should be as simple as possible. Consider organizing your content so that URLs are constructed logically and in a manner that is most intelligible to humans (when possible, readable words rather than long ID numbers). For example, if you're searching for information about aviation, a URL like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation will help you decide whether to click that link. A URL like http://www.example.com/index.php?id_sezione=360&sid=3a5ebc944f41daa6f849f 730f1, is much less appealing to users.
---------------------------------------------------------------

tony_sologubov 06-16-2015 05:01 AM

Re: Clean URLs in 5.2.5
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mohammadUMAR
--Front Page
Yes I'm trying edit FrontPage text from admin Catalog>Frontpage.


Does it fix the problem for you?

Quote:

--Clean URLs
I'm using 4.1.10 with CDSEO on another site, it creates clean URLs (without any categoryid) then why 5.2.5 can't.

We have discussed the situation with the team and it will be reworked in the near future.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.