X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Rich Google Search Results module released (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65018)

carpeperdiem 02-06-2013 09:24 AM

Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritSteve
I removed the description from the template as I didn't want google to use this.

Steve,
Are you concerned that search engines are not getting your preferred "description" ?

While we're on this, what IS the diff between
<meta property="og:description"
and
the regular meta description tag?

Why does rich snippets require its own descr tag? Just wondering.

BritSteve 02-06-2013 09:30 AM

I don't know the answer. I want and need to keep the page description that google uses the same as it is now. I was concerned that google would take the property description and use that to override the page description in the search results.
Never found the answer, and I wasn't going to take the chance that google would show a crap description.

Steve

carpeperdiem 02-06-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritSteve
I don't know the answer. I want and need to keep the page description that google uses the same as it is now. I was concerned that google would take the property description and use that to override the page description in the search results.
Never found the answer, and I wasn't going to take the chance that google would show a crap description.

You are 1000% correct.
Um, then why is the xcart mod trying to reinvent the wheel?
I'm disabling the mod right now until I learn more about this.

BritSteve 02-06-2013 10:38 AM

You could always just remove the description part from the template. The description is not a required field for product rich snippets.

Steve

carpeperdiem 02-06-2013 10:45 AM

There are more than a few properties that are not part of the RGSR mod.

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146750

carpeperdiem 02-06-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
I have to use an alternate method to get these fields onto the page without pissing off Google. What's the best way to do this? Can we use hidden divs? Will google see this? White text? I thought that was a no-no. What's the "good" way to allow google to pick these fields up without displaying them on my page?

Well, if you RTFM, you'll see that google said it's ok to get some properties to the page

Quote:

Non-visible text

In general, Google will use only marked-up data that is visible to the user. Hidden data will be ignored. However, in a few circumstances, it can be useful to provide both a machine-readable and a human-readable version of your content. For example, while the text string "Elvis's birthday" is significant to a great many human readers, it's not as meaningful to search engines as 1935-01-08. Similarly, human readers can infer the meaning of the $ symbol, but it can be useful to specifically tell search engines whether your prices are in pesos or dollars.

Google recognizes specific machine-readable values for the following Product tags:

category
priceValidUntil
currency
price
identifier
condition
The following example describes the condition of an item, providing Google with the machine-readable value used while displaying a text equivalent (Previously owned but in excellent condition) to the human reader.

<span itemprop="condition" content="used">Previously owned but in excellent condition</span>
Use the meta tag to specify content that is not visible on the page in any way. For example, to indicate to Google that your price is in USD, do this:

<meta itemprop="currency" content="USD" />

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146750

RoeBoeDog 02-07-2013 10:23 AM

This is really starting to make me pissed off.

I posted on this forum that the module has issues and it generates false information and gave you all the details on the help desk to look into it.

My ticket is assigned to Danila Struchkov, and he replies every 2 days for 1 message and that is a JOKE when you pay for a module that does not work.

I PAY AND BUY advanced customer reviews to see if that fixes the problem (NOPE)

I have been going back and forth for a week now and I can not get a reply on why it is not working

I think its funny how you pay money for a module and they dont care it is giving your customers FAKE INFORMATION.

I have spent over a 1000 in modules this month from x cart getting my site ready to launch and I find it funny how they will not fix my issue

I do not want my customers seeing fake information on google and products showing with 1 star when they have not even been rated.

rocky 02-07-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog

I do not want my customers seeing fake information on google and products showing with 1 star when they have not even been rated.

We understand the urgency of the situation and trying to do our best to solve this asap. You will be contacted shortly.

RoeBoeDog 02-07-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky
We understand the urgency of the situation and trying to do our best to solve this asap. You will be contacted shortly.

Thank you Rocky but please keep your customers updated when they have open tickets. It takes 5 min to reply and keep me updated.

Thanks for understanding this is a huge problem.

rocky 02-07-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog
Thank you Rocky but please keep your customers updated when they have open tickets. It takes 5 min to reply and keep me updated.

Thanks for understanding this is a huge problem.

Danila is out of the office right now, thus I've assigned another engineer (Roman) to this issue. He performed investigations and found out that one of the files was not patched during the installation process. He patched it manually and now it's working as it should. Please check and reply via HelpDesk is something is still wrong.