X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Refine Filters module released (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65987)

albertchui 03-22-2013 03:22 PM

Re: Refine Filters module released

categories should be add into the filter like 3rd party power filter mod.

vladimir.gritsenko 03-25-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertchui
categories should be add into the filter like 3rd party power filter mod.

Obviously, showing categories list at the filters section doesn't make sense because the whole filters section is already tied to one category. However, if you filter search results (i.e. no category selected), there is a list of categories to choose from. Moreover, if it turns out one category has considerably more products fitting the search criteria than the others, filters for this very category will be shown so you do not need to even click it.

Mhodge@q1w.net 03-25-2013 12:04 PM

Why doesn't the standard Product class search using Multiple Option Selector work properly? Here is an example where you can choose 1 in each selection but if you select multiple, it returns no products at all: http://www.rpmphonestore.com/choosing.php?fclassid=5

albertchui 03-26-2013 10:33 AM

hi, Vladimir, i changed the skin, but the search does not come out filter, do you know why, also when clicking manufacturer, the filter not show neither, it only show when browsing categories, thanks

albert

albertchui 03-26-2013 02:40 PM

i checked the Display filters on search results and Display filters on manufacturers page, they do not show.

vladimir.gritsenko 03-27-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhodge@q1w.net
Why doesn't the standard Product class search using Multiple Option Selector work properly? Here is an example where you can choose 1 in each selection but if you select multiple, it returns no products at all: http://www.rpmphonestore.com/choosing.php?fclassid=5

Please post a ticket with the problem details to our HelpDesk. The case requires investigation.

vladimir.gritsenko 03-27-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

hi, Vladimir, i changed the skin, but the search does not come out filter, do you know why, also when clicking manufacturer, the filter not show neither, it only show when browsing categories, thanks

I guess the skin you switched to is not patched properly. Please post a ticket to our HelpDesk as we can assign an engineer and investigate the problem.

albertchui 03-27-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vladimir.gritsenko
I guess the skin you switched to is not patched properly. Please post a ticket to our HelpDesk as we can assign an engineer and investigate the problem.

hi, could you tell me the file name are related as you guy ask $99 for the small fix, i already paid the mod and installation, now $99 again, it's unfair to ask your customer to pay such high fee for small help,

my site is www.iphonecasestudio.com

thanks

albert

RoeBoeDog 03-27-2013 07:16 PM

I need some help from someone on this module.

I currently have the module installed and would love to create promo banners on the home page of my site and send them to the product page with the correct filters already applied. That way it brings the search right to what they need.

Is this possible and if not how can I do it?

vladimir.gritsenko 03-29-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

hi, could you tell me the file name are related as you guy ask $99 for the small fix, i already paid the mod and installation, now $99 again, it's unfair to ask your customer to pay such high fee for small help,

my site is www.iphonecasestudio.com

Since the reported problem is caused by a customization in your store skin it requires investigation which implies considerable amount of engineer's time thus cannot be done for free.

vladimir.gritsenko 03-29-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoeBoeDog

I currently have the module installed and would love to create promo banners on the home page of my site and send them to the product page with the correct filters already applied. That way it brings the search right to what they need.

It's not possible now but this feature was already requested some times so it's in our nearest plans. I believe we will implement it within a couple of weeks.

vladimir.gritsenko 04-01-2013 12:10 AM

Good new, everyone! New version of Refine Filters add-on is available in File Area.

Added:

* Ability to import filter-related values from a CSV file.

Module manual will be updated later today.

albertchui 04-01-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Good new, everyone! New version of Refine Filters add-on is available in File Area.

Added:

* Ability to import filter-related values from a CSV file.

Module manual will be updated later today.

i have uploaded all new files to cover the old files, do i need to reinstall again with install-refine-filters.php, thanks

albert

vladimir.gritsenko 04-01-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

i have uploaded all new files to cover the old files, do i need to reinstall again with install-refine-filters.php

No, install-refine-filters.php won't work for you. Since the files are already re-written, you need to actualize your DB structure by manually applying some queries. If you feel your skills aren't enough for that you may always contact our tecnical support team.

Alternatively, you may remove the module entirely then upload new one and install it using install-refine-filters.php. Please note that in this case all your module-related data (e.g. filters titles, filter parameters, module settings, custom filter classes & etc.) will be lost.

TinySoles 04-03-2013 07:24 AM

Hi,

I've been playing with the demo but the demo is pretty limited so its hard to tell the full capacity of the mod. We are using the On Sale and New Arrivals mods. Does the filter display and filter on the On Sale & New Arrival pages too? It only talks about category, manufacturer & search pages.

Also someone had mentioned on this thread being able to filter by categories and it was knocked back, but I wanted to pipe up and say that is a feature we would be looking for. It allows you to filter your manufacturer pages easier without repetitive extra fields to match your categories. When you have thousands of products in your store, eliminating any extra step or repetitive data field is essential.

Also if you are running multiple variants on products and one variant is out of stock (say a Small in a S/M/L choice), if "in stock only" is selected and the filter is selected for the variant Small that is out of stock, will that product display because it is has M&L available or will it not display because Small is out of stock?

Thanks!

vladimir.gritsenko 04-04-2013 04:30 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinySoles
I've been playing with the demo but the demo is pretty limited so its hard to tell the full capacity of the mod. We are using the On Sale and New Arrivals mods. Does the filter display and filter on the On Sale & New Arrival pages too? It only talks about category, manufacturer & search pages.

By default, filters are displayed at category, manufacturer & search pages only. You may order our custom service to add it wherever you want it though.

Quote:

Also someone had mentioned on this thread being able to filter by categories and it was knocked back, but I wanted to pipe up and say that is a feature we would be looking for. It allows you to filter your manufacturer pages easier without repetitive extra fields to match your categories. When you have thousands of products in your store, eliminating any extra step or repetitive data field is essential.

This is how filters section looks like at a manufacturer page.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Jd6z4hc4QBLTZUOGpuQmVPaFU/edit?ups=drive_web

Since filters are tied to categories, you need to specify a category first then you'll see filters for the selected categories. Showing filters for all categories at one will hardly be helpfull.

Quote:

Also if you are running multiple variants on products and one variant is out of stock (say a Small in a S/M/L choice), if "in stock only" is selected and the filter is selected for the variant Small that is out of stock, will that product display because it is has M&L available or will it not display because Small is out of stock?

If "in stock only" filter is aplied, a product is shown as long as at least one variant of this product is in stock. So in your example, the product will be shown because M and L variants are available for purchase.

vladimir.gritsenko 04-09-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

We've added the ability to open a page with pre-selected filters. Now you can choose necessary filters, click "Show products", right-click at a new "URL" link at the left bottom corner of filters section and choose "Copy link location" (or similar) in the menu. Then you may open the link in another browser and make sure that it shows only the products you saw when copied the link. Also, the filter parameters are pre-selected.

vladimir.gritsenko 04-09-2013 05:23 AM

Forgot to say, new module packages are available in File Area.

ADDISON 04-09-2013 05:30 AM

Did you update the help information according to this new feature?

ADDISON 04-09-2013 12:10 PM

@Vladimir: I worked with Sandra on Color Swatches + Icons + Detailed Images for Variants. We extended the work to use Icons on Options. If you remember one of my requests to you was to give more life to filter box in Front-End (color swatches for example). It is not a big deal. For a small amount or for free you can offer this new feature to all: Products Option Icons in Refine Filters.

RoeBoeDog 04-09-2013 08:09 PM

So let me get this straight. I requested this feature and was told its not in the module.

I then pay you 266 bucks to make this feature custom for me, Now you post on the forum that is an available feature?

Why did I just pay you to develop this custom feature for you to offer to the world and still charge me?

RoeBoeDog 04-09-2013 08:23 PM

THIS IS BEYOND FRUSTRATING.

Above you can see me asking for this feature and being told its not in the current version but could be in the future.

I take the next step and request a quote from x cart to develop this feature for me and the quote was 266 bucks to complete and I paid it and is currently STILL in development with no code on my site.

You tell me on the forum today that this feature is ready to download and you dont even realize that I have paid you for this custom work and I DONT even have the feature on my site.

This is just plain pathetic that you would charge me 266 and tell me it would take 3 weeks to complete and you have already completed it and offered it on the forum and I dont even have the code on my own site that I paid for.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

Quote:

We've added the ability to open a page with pre-selected filters. Now you can choose necessary filters, click "Show products", right-click at a new "URL" link at the left bottom corner of filters section and choose "Copy link location" (or similar) in the menu. Then you may open the link in another browser and make sure that it shows only the products you saw when copied the link. Also, the filter parameters are pre-selected.

vladimir.gritsenko 04-10-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADDISON
Did you update the help information according to this new feature?

Yes, I remember. It will be updated soon. Thank you.

vladimir.gritsenko 04-10-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

@Vladimir: I worked with Sandra on Color Swatches + Icons + Detailed Images for Variants. We extended the work to use Icons on Options. If you remember one of my requests to you was to give more life to filter box in Front-End (color swatches for example). It is not a big deal. For a small amount or for free you can offer this new feature to all: Products Option Icons in Refine Filters.

I really do not think that icons or color swatches attached to options will work. You see, there may be two options with one name but different icons so it's not eviden which icon should be shown for a corresponding filters attribute.

Instead, we are planning to create a separate list where all the attributes will be listed. An admin will be able to set an icon or a color there.

vladimir.gritsenko 04-10-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

THIS IS BEYOND FRUSTRATING.

Above you can see me asking for this feature and being told its not in the current version but could be in the future.

I take the next step and request a quote from x cart to develop this feature for me and the quote was 266 bucks to complete and I paid it and is currently STILL in development with no code on my site.

You tell me on the forum today that this feature is ready to download and you dont even realize that I have paid you for this custom work and I DONT even have the feature on my site.

This is just plain pathetic that you would charge me 266 and tell me it would take 3 weeks to complete and you have already completed it and offered it on the forum and I dont even have the code on my own site that I paid for.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

Well, as you may see from my last posts in this topic the module is in active development. We promised to add URLs for filters and we did it. There is nothing to rant about here.

Luckily, the task was not started yet so we can refund you the URLs part of the task. Please note that in this case you will need to re-install the module to get the new feature. Alternatively, we may re-install it for you instead of refunding the money. I believe the tasks are equal in terms of cost.

Please reply in the complaint ticket in Help Desk.

yowstar 04-24-2013 11:06 AM

Planing on purchasing this module but would like to know if the following two features has been implemented.

Quote:

Instead, we are planning to create a separate list where all the attributes will be listed. An admin will be able to set an icon or a color there.

Has the color feature been implement as yet for this module?

Quote:

Thank you for pointing this out, philrisk. Although, we have already planned implementing SEO URLs for Refine Filters, .

Also has the SEO function been implemented?

Thanks
regards

vladimir.gritsenko 04-25-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yowstar
Planing on purchasing this module but would like to know if the following two features has been implemented.

Has the color feature been implement as yet for this module?

Also has the SEO function been implemented?

Thank you for interesting in our module. The color feature is in development right now so I recommend you to wait for it a bit. I'll leave a message in this ticket when it's ready.

As for SEO function, we've implemented URLs for filters so you can give your customers an URL to a page with pre-selected filters attributes. However, we decided not to use filters or attributes names in the URL itself as in some cases it may have bad influence to site SEO.

ADDISON 04-25-2013 08:10 AM

I agree. Refine Filters needs a way to upload icons for your options (color swatches, size icons, ...). This will give life to this important store module. I am pretty sure Vladimir will do a great job in this way. As prove you can check the functionality of this module inside the demo version. Even I recommended to a few developers improvements, only Qualiteam took them in consideration.

I have in mind a few more features for this module, but I am doing the research for the moment.

Online Michael 04-26-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

As for SEO function, we've implemented URLs for filters so you can give your customers an URL to a page with pre-selected filters attributes. However, we decided not to use filters or attributes names in the URL itself as in some cases it may have bad influence to site SEO.

Ok. So let me get this straight... I gather the "bad influence to site SEO" you are referring to is the duplicate content issue that was raised a little while back. Yes? Also, would you say the colour feature is a week away, 2 weeks away, a month away?? I'm not sure if I can hold my breath much longer.:wink:

ADDISON 04-26-2013 11:53 AM

@Vladimir - it is a good idea to get visible the URL in Front-End, but I don't like to see it permanently there. This URL could be used by owner of the store in newsletters, and sometimes by users who want to promote for example in a blog that filtering result.

About SEO, I agree you. For a while I was confused what way to choose. Making Google indexing filtering results could create lot of issues. I don't think customers are really so smart to search for filters (e.g. laptop price 190 200). What happens if the price is 180 instead of 190? How this page could have a good SEO including Page Title, Page Description? My conclusion is not giving SEO facilities to this module.

We can implement other things much useful ...

albertchui 05-02-2013 02:22 PM

hi, Vladimir, it can be assign both filter class and extra field, i wonder if all value using extra field, will it give server more load or same no matter using filter class or extra field, thanks

albert

das4vod 05-25-2013 04:24 AM

Hello,

Is there a way to disable the tooltip "xxx products found... Show" when all options are cleared by either unchecking the last checked option or clicking on the "Clear" link. In essence, it shows that ALL product are found.

Would be great to disable the tooltip ONLY when no search criteria is submitted to dynamic search script (via ajax).

Any thoughts would be appreciated (including pointing out where in the code this can be changed).

Thank you!

vladimir.gritsenko 05-27-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by das4vod
Is there a way to disable the tooltip "xxx products found... Show" when all options are cleared by either unchecking the last checked option or clicking on the "Clear" link. In essence, it shows that ALL product are found.

Would be great to disable the tooltip ONLY when no search criteria is submitted to dynamic search script (via ajax).

Any thoughts would be appreciated (including pointing out where in the code this can be changed).

Hi

Although, it's possible it will require some minor but tricky code changes. Please contact our project managers either by posting new sales ticket in our HelpDesk or by using our website contact us form (http://www.x-cart.com/contact-us.html).

Thanks

BrianY 05-30-2013 12:37 PM

Vladimir,

If you are still taking suggestions to improve the Refine Filters module, I have one.

Basically when the module is set to "Display filters on category page" there needs to be an auto scroll down of the page to make sure the filtered products are in view. Otherwise it can appear as though the filter did not work.

To see an example of what I am talking about, go to your demo store that is running the Refine Filters and click on the Toys category. Then check the filter for Bucky Balls and select show. You will see that on most monitors the customer can't see the product that the Refine Filters module is showing. Now imagine this page with 3 or more rows of sub categories above the products instead of 2 rows and the problem gets worse.

Could you program the Refine Filters module to auto scroll the page down to show the filtered products?

Thanks,

DavyMac 05-31-2013 04:35 AM

How easy would it be to use the selected filters to create long tail breadcrumbs, URL and Meta title?

If someone filters for shirt + blue + mens for example then the URL etc could be www.domain.com/mens-blue-shirt/

Is this just a leap too far?

vladimir.gritsenko 06-03-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianY
If you are still taking suggestions to improve the Refine Filters module, I have one.

Basically when the module is set to "Display filters on category page" there needs to be an auto scroll down of the page to make sure the filtered products are in view. Otherwise it can appear as though the filter did not work.

To see an example of what I am talking about, go to your demo store that is running the Refine Filters and click on the Toys category. Then check the filter for Bucky Balls and select show. You will see that on most monitors the customer can't see the product that the Refine Filters module is showing. Now imagine this page with 3 or more rows of sub categories above the products instead of 2 rows and the problem gets worse.

Could you program the Refine Filters module to auto scroll the page down to show the filtered products?

Hi Brian. Thank you for the suggestion. Indeed, on a low resolution device the products section may be not visible. We will think about how to improve it and probably fix it in the future.

vladimir.gritsenko 06-03-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyMac
How easy would it be to use the selected filters to create long tail breadcrumbs, URL and Meta title?

If someone filters for shirt + blue + mens for example then the URL etc could be www.domain.com/mens-blue-shirt/

Is this just a leap too far?

It is possible but it may harm your SEO ranking as told earlier in this thread. Still you may request the estimation by using our site contact form or by creating new sales ticket in the HelpDesk.

Freakmode 06-05-2013 03:52 AM

Is it possible to choose where this module is shown? I mean does it have to be in a menu column or can it be at the top of a product page?

ADDISON 06-05-2013 03:54 AM

You cannot do that with a mouse click. You have to edit XC layout templates.

Freakmode 06-07-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

You cannot do that with a mouse click. You have to edit XC layout templates.

Happy to do that just wanted to know if you can control where it is shown. We use another filter mod at the moment that is shown at the top of the product list.