X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Dev Questions (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   XC SEO v1.1.0 Released (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=25297)

rmoore 07-01-2007 04:38 AM

Re: XC SEO v1.1.0 Released

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecat
I worry a bit about google's thoughts on rewrites. Does anyone have a concern with that at all?

Thanks again

Yes, it is a HUGE concern of mine. So much that I turned off XC SEO in the admin panel. What I read, because of spammer's abuse in the past, using redirects is much worse than having dynamic urls.

It is great to have the product name in the url itself, but I personally (and some SEO experts that I have spoke with) feel that using redirects to have the product's name in the url would hurt you more than the dynamic urls ever would hurt your rank.

Really if you think about it, that's what a spammers site does, redirect ALL their pages to spam. To redirect one or a few pages is one thing, but to redirect every product (hundreds of pages possibility) is something totally different!!

Some also say that GoogleBot will only follow so many redirected pages before it will stop and leave your site.

rmoore 07-01-2007 04:40 AM

Oops, it posted twice.... sorry

bluecat 07-01-2007 05:19 AM

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

jlangevin 07-01-2007 08:19 AM

the part about googlebot only following so many redirects before leaving your site, is referring to continuous redirects

i.e. - goto page1 that redirects to page2 that redirects to page3 that redirects to page4, etc etc...

jlangevin 07-01-2007 08:21 AM

btw, SoundChoiceStore had a *large* number of existing products. We installed XC SEO which redirected old urls to the new urls, and while SCStore dropped a bit for a few weeks, after about a month it was back to where it was, if not placed better. just fyi.

rmoore 07-02-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlangevin
btw, SoundChoiceStore had a *large* number of existing products. We installed XC SEO which redirected old urls to the new urls, and while SCStore dropped a bit for a few weeks, after about a month it was back to where it was, if not placed better. just fyi.

If it was back to where it was, if not a little better placement, why use the XC SEO mod at all??

Are we not looking for a HUGE increase in ranking??

What that kind of tells me is that the redirects lowered the rank and the product's name in the url increased the rank, so you're back to where you were before the mod (if not a LITTLE better). 8O

I would think we are all looking to move up pages not slots on a page. Like go from page 10 to page 2, not from slot 110 to slot 101. Sure you jumped 9 slots, but you're still on page 10 which in my personal option did you absolutely no good..

Lets face it, if you're not listed within the first 5 pages of a searched return, your site will most likely never be seen. When I search something personally, I only go maybe 4 pages before I do another search using a different search term or keywords.

Now do not misunderstand me, I'm not saying that the XC SEO mod is not worth using, as it very well may work for some and not others. What I am saying is that if you do decide to install this mod, do not think you're good to go in the SEO of your site. Again we are faced with the dynamic urls or redirects and it is a double edge sword.

jlangevin 07-02-2007 04:14 AM

the overall site was back to where it was, individual pages actually started placing at the top of searches. the problem with SCStore, is that now matter how nice the URLs are, it's tough getting it placed at the top due to the lacking return links

we couldn't convince the higher-ups that people needed to link into soundchoicestore.com, instead of soundchoice.com (the higher ups had split the store into a separate domain, for some reason)

the domain itself improved a bit on generic "karaoke" word search, but actual product pages (especially ones that we linked from the homepage) usually showed in the 1st 10 results on google, if not top 20

sorry for not going into more detail :-)

i agree that people should never think that this mod alone will have their website good-to-go on seo (same for the other SEO mods). you have to do all the little tricks, such as getting linkbacks, moving page content towards the top of the page source, have some content-rich pages with good keyword references, etc etc.

rmoore, how would you recommend that XC SEO should be altered, to avoid the redirect issue? if i were to make the redirect optional, would that ease your worry? :-)

and ya, i agree the mod is likely best for a new store, as it's never good to change your urls mid-stream, especially if you already have a successful store

btw, didn't mean to sound too snide in my earlier post about "advertising", was just attempting to joke around

cheers

rmoore 07-02-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

rmoore, how would you recommend that XC SEO should be altered, to avoid the redirect issue? if i were to make the redirect optional, would that ease your worry? :-)

and ya, i agree the mod is likely best for a new store, as it's never good to change your urls mid-stream, especially if you already have a successful store
cheers

jlangevin,
To be perfectly honest here, I don't have enough X-Cart operating knowledge to give you sound advice on how to mod XC SEO so it does not have to use the redirect in htaccess.

I have been a LONG time OsCommerce webmaster and just within this past month was hired to webmaster for the company I'm working for now. I have to get the site and its products straight before I can start looking into what makes X-Cart tick.

What I read about CDSEO, that is really the way you want to go. I have not bought CDSEO as of yet, but will be soon. Then maybe I can get a better insight on how they the use static urls without having to use redirects. With that
knowledge maybe we can work from there.... :wink:

I will keep you posted in PM when I have something. It may be a while though...

jlangevin 07-02-2007 03:06 PM

rmoore, i think you have rewrites and redirects confused

this is how it goes:

mod_rewrite (htaccess) is used to transparently (hidden to users and search engines) map a static url to a dynamic location

redirects are *only* used when a user or search engine visits the old *dynamic* url, which is when a 301 redirect sends the user to the new static url. this occurs in PHP

using htaccess/mod_rewrite does nothing that a search engine would see, so what you're concerned with is the 301 redirect that occurs in the PHP script

as for my question to you, i wasn't asking how to programmatically change XC SEO, but it was more of, how would you handle the duplicate url issue?

i.e.- my solution for the duplicate urls (dynamic old url vs the static new url) was to 301 redirect the old urls to the new url location, which works well for me. but if this 301 redirect is of concern to you, the only alternative i see is to allow duplicate urls

so, x-cart already has a dynamic url to view the product. then there is also another variant of the url to view the product, but this url will include the category id and page id. additionally, if you have the static shop generation enabled in x-cart (which creates a physical page for each url), there is at LEAST 1 additional url for each page, if not more

so add in XC SEO's "static" representation of the urls, you essentially double these numbers, if there is no redirection

OR, you can use XC SEO, which redirects all old urls to their new location. additionally, if you are an SE, you will only see 1 possible variant of a url for each page, vs the multiple possible versions (again, regarding the inclusion of category id, page id, etc, in addition to other variables that have to be rewritten for x-cart)

-----

so, my question to you is, how would you suggest that the multiple url situation be handled? that it be left alone, so that there are 10-15 urls per page (with XC SEO installed, and X-Cart's old dynamic urls still accessible), or have 1-5 urls per page for users, 1 url for SE's?

or, do you have another suggestion? (I'm very open to suggestions, fire away)

jlangevin 07-02-2007 03:13 PM

regarding CDSEO, it actually does the same thing as XC SEO, except that it uses categories as if they were folders (which I like):

/category/product.html

Also, CDSEO allows you to personalize each product url however you like. XC SEO is more automated, it doesn't have that personalization feature yet

additionally, CDSEO redirects the old urls to the new locations, to prevent "duplicate content penalization". that's what XC SEO does, again there's no difference

so, if you're thinking CDSEO functions differently to improve SEO than XC SEO, it's only "real" advantage is the /category/product.html feature, which some people argue will worsen your page rank

again, i personally like the category folder path structure, from a usability standpoint, and it arguably provides additional keywords in the url, but many SEO gurus prefer to have the url appear to be in the site root (mysite.com/this-is-a-product.html), as the closer to the site root a url is, then supposedly the more important it appears to SEs

let me know what you think.

rmoore 07-03-2007 04:04 AM

Quote:

rmoore, i think you have rewrites and redirects confused

:lol:

I think I know the difference. :?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Google Base Help Center
The URL of the web page associated with the item. This should not forward to another URL; it must point directly to the target page. The domain name may not be an IP address.

To me that says NO REDIRECTS [-X

Now the question, does Google Base drop you if it encounters a redirected page?

So do you turn off the redirects in the configuration of XC SEO?? Well now you will get hit with the Duplicate Content Penalty, that's how to lose Google ranking fast..

Now I'm also talking about a site already ranked. For new sites just starting out, well that is a different story.

No sorry I do not have any suggestions other than having X-Cart generate html pages itself so there would be no need to use rewrites or redirecting old content to the new rewrote urls.

jlangevin 07-03-2007 04:27 AM

I'm sorry, but again you're thinking about rewrites the wrong way. the way mod_rewrite is working here, is aliasing a url over a real location. it's not redirecting, at all

a redirect, to a search engine, is when the search engine visits product.php?whatever and gets sent to product.html

a rewrite is when the SE sees product.html, but what happens *behind the scenes* is product.php?whatever is being displayed

the search engine has NO CLUE that this is happening. this is not a redirect. this is not malicious, and you will *not* get penalized for using mod_rewrite in this fashion (unless you resorted to some black hat SEO usage of mod_rewrite, which is not happening in this case)

cheers.

jlangevin 07-03-2007 04:40 AM

BTW, refer to this post, from Feb 2007:

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/012409.html

It is quoting a google employee saying that 301 redirects (I accidentally said 304 earlier by mistake, XC SEO uses 301) take effect within a couple of weeks, and pass PR to the new url

More fleshed out reading here:

http://www.seobuzzbox.com/understanding-the-301-redirect/

read this before you continue this debate please :-) Also please note these are articles from this year, which is highly important

cheers

rmoore 07-03-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

read this before you continue this debate please :-) Also please note these are articles from this year, which is highly important
cheers

jlangevin

I'm not debating nothing with you :lol:

XC SEO is good to go and works great on what it was designed to do!! :wink:

rmoore 07-03-2007 04:59 PM

Jlangevin,
When I login to Google and go to the Webmaster Tools, then in Diagnostic tab, it displays URLs not followed and that number is 335. Click on the Details it is all the products which are being redirected from the old dynamic urls to the new static html urls XC SEO created are not being followed.

To me the redirects should be fine because XC SEO uses permanent redirects (301) which is allowed by Google. I think we have 347 products, so after 12 or so (give or take a few), Google stopped following the redirects....

I'm not debating nothing now.... ;) Just saying what I see in the Google Webmaster Tools

npithia 07-07-2007 04:56 AM

Hi,

I tried to use this mod and it was installed successfully but seems like that I could not go to the product page and it gives an error? Do we have to have specific requiremensts on server?

Or am I missing out something?

Please help me.

Many thanks,

Nishant

jlangevin 07-07-2007 06:21 AM

You must be on a server that allows mod_rewrite.

One of the most common mistakes, is that people fail to copy in the .htaccess file contents. Make sure you've copied the .htaccess file, you should be good to go

drooker 07-13-2007 03:51 PM

Is this mod applicable to 4.1.8 yet?

intel352 07-13-2007 05:01 PM

I have it running on my wife's 4.1.8 installation with no problem, should work just fine for you :-)

luxor 08-02-2007 12:36 AM

Send to friend fix

I noticed on the latest version of the smart urls i used printed the dynamic url in the email body, but when clicked loaded the smart url version of the address.

This looked weird to me so I created a simple mode to change how the url is passed to the send to friend action.

This mod will store the current url via php and store it as a smarty variable. Then it creates an additional hidden form variable to store the url variable and pass it to the send2friend mail template, where you will be able to print the actual url as the text and url.

----------------

Send to Friend XC SEO Mod
tested on X-cart v4.1.

product.php

Add:

// find out the domain:
$domain = $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'];
// find out the path to the current file:
$path = $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'];
// find out the QueryString:
$queryString = $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
$current_url = "http://" . $domain . $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
$smarty->assign("url",$current_url);

Before:

func_display("customer/home.tpl",$smarty);

skin1/customer/main/send_to_friend.tpl

Add:

<input type="hidden" name="productlink" value="{$url}" />

After:

<input type="hidden" name="productid" value="{$product.productid}" />

send_to_friend.php

Add:

$mail_smarty->assign ("url", $productlink);

After:

$mail_smarty->assign ("name", $name);

Skin1/mail/html/send2friend.tpl

Add:

<a href="{$url}">{$url}</a><br />

intel352 08-03-2007 04:04 AM

I'll have to look into this, I believe I disabled XC SEO for email, to avoid any snafus. I'll enable it today, and test it to see how it handles send-to-friend, orders, etc.

thanks for the heads up, I had forgotten about that :-)

pumpkins 08-09-2007 12:49 PM

I am having problem after installing XC SEO 1.2.0. I get a "404 not found" error. Based on what I read from some of the post in this thread, that the .htaccess file included with XC SEO install needs to be added to the existing .htaccess. However, I've done that as well. I paste the content of the included .htaccess file into my existing .htaccess. But still the same "404 not found" error.

I want to use this mod, but couldn't get this to work, please someone give me some guidance. Thanks

Here is what's in my .htaccess file:
Quote:

Options -Indexes
DirectoryIndex home.php

Options +SymlinksIfOwnerMatch -Indexes
RewriteEngine on

#Redirecting visits to the old /the_lab and directories to main site
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^the_lab/(.*)$ http://www.dvrsecuritylab.com/$1 [R=301,L]

#block all files with uppercase names (i.e. VERSION)
#RedirectMatch gone ^.*[A-Z].+$

# block all smarty templates (no reason to have these exposed)
RedirectMatch gone ^.*\.tpl$

# block the entire log directory
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/log/.*$

# block all .log (log files), .sql (sql dump/export),
# .bak (backup files) and .conf (config files) files
# in case some day these files move to another directory
RedirectMatch gone ^.*\.(sql|log|conf|bak)$

# block access to the 'Smarty-*' directory
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/Smarty.*$

# block access to the upgrade directory
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/upgrade/.*$

# block access to the include directory
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/include/.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !login\.php$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1 [G,L]

# block access to the /sql directory
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/sql/.*$

# block access to the /shipping directory
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/shipping/.*$

# block access to /templates_c
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/templates_c/.*$

# block access to the pgp directories
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/\.pgp/.*$

# block access to /modules
# RedirectMatch gone ^.*/modules/.*$

# block access to /skin1_original
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/skin1_original/.*$

# block access to /schemes
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/schemes/.*$

# block access to /payment perl scripts
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/payment/.*\.pl$

# block access to all .ini files (e.g. php.ini for phpsuexec)
RedirectMatch gone ^.*\.ini$

# block access to install.php
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/install\.php$

# block access to config.php
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/config\.php$

# block access to config.local.php
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/config\.local\.php$

# block access to top.inc.php
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/top\.inc\.php$

# block access to patches and patch.pl
RedirectMatch gone ^.*/patch\..*$

# for google checkout to work
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On

# Some servers require the Rewritebase directive to be
# enabled (remove '#' at the beginning to activate)
# Please note: when enabled, you must include the path
# to your root xcart folder (i.e. RewriteBase /shop)
RewriteBase /

# Enable the following 3 lines if you want to make sure
# all users use the www. version of your domain.
# Helps prevent cookie issues for some X-Cart installations
#RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
#RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^YOURDOMAIN.com [NC]
#RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.YOURDOMAIN.com/$1 [R=301,L]

##### XC SEO
# Rewrite SEO category URL's
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direction=0&ca t=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direction=1&ca t=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?printable=Y&cat=$2&page=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=0&cat=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=1&cat=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?cat=$2&page=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-c-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direction=0&ca t=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-c-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direction=1&ca t=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-c-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?printable=Y&cat=$2 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-c-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=0&cat=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-c-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=1&cat=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-c-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1home.php?cat=$2 [QSA,L]

# Rewrite SEO manufacturers URL's
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-m-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direc tion=0&manufacturerid=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-m-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direc tion=1&manufacturerid=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-m-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?printable=Y&manufacturerid=$2& page=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-m-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=0&manuf acturerid=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-m-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=1&manuf acturerid=$3&page=$4 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-m-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=$2&page=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-m-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direc tion=0&manufacturerid=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-m-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?printable=Y&sort=$2&sort_direc tion=1&manufacturerid=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-m-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?printable=Y&manufacturerid=$2 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-up-m-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=0&manuf acturerid=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-(productcode|title|price|orderby)-down-m-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?sort=$2&sort_direction=1&manuf acturerid=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-m-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=$2 [QSA,L]

# Rewrite SEO product URL's
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)-pr-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1product.php?printable=Y&productid=$4&cat=$2&page =$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-c-([0-9]+)-p-([0-9]+)-pr-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1product.php?productid=$4&cat=$2&page=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-pr-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1product.php?printable=Y&productid=$2 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-pr-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1product.php?productid=$2 [QSA,L]

# Rewrite SEO static page URL's
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-print-pg-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1pages.php?printable=Y&pageid=$2 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?[^/]+-pg-([0-9]+)\.html$ $1pages.php?pageid=$2 [QSA,L]

# Rewrite SEO search URL's
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?([^/]+)-search-c-([0-9]+)(-[^-]+)*\.html$ $1search.php?mode=search&substring=$2&cat=$3 [QSA,L]
RewriteRule ^([^/]*/)?([^/]+)-search(-[^-]+)*\.html$ $1search.php?mode=search&substring=$2 [QSA,L]
##### / XC SEO

pumpkins 08-09-2007 06:33 PM

I tested comment out each line to in my .htaccess to see which is causing the problem, and I found this is causing the problem:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]

but I added this line in my .htaccess to get Google Checkout to work . Does this mean I have to choose between Google checkout and XC SEO?

abeight 08-20-2007 07:29 AM

I'm trying to install this mod on a newly upgraded 4.1.8 Gold site, and the SQL patches are giving me errors. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

SQL PATCH FAILED AT QUERY:
INSERT INTO xcart_config (name,comment,value,category,orderby,type,defvalue ) VALUES ('xcseo_keyword_injection','Specify a keyword to inject into rewritten urls','','XC_SEO',10,'text','')

Qdox 08-20-2007 07:50 AM

I didn't see any error on the sql below. I even ran it on my box and ran fine.
Please check rights to the database/table.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abeight
I'm trying to install this mod on a newly upgraded 4.1.8 Gold site, and the SQL patches are giving me errors. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

INSERT INTO xcart_config (name,comment,value,category,orderby,type,defvalue ) VALUES ('xcseo_keyword_injection','Specify a keyword to inject into rewritten urls','','XC_SEO',10,'text','')

abeight 08-20-2007 08:15 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately I have no idea how to check the rights on the table or database. Is this something I can do in phpmyadmin?

Tye 08-22-2007 05:08 PM

I tried to install this using method 1 (the install script)

I copied everything keeping the directory structure intact and ensuring the htaccess files where uploaded and its just doesn't seem to work :(

It is in the Modules, I have activated it and deactivated and re-activated it - but my url's are still ?cat=1 etc

Any ideas :)

intel352 08-23-2007 09:20 AM

Even when using the installer, you're still required to patch your files. Later releases will include an auto-patch ability so that you won't have to do any dirty work. The installer is primarily for avoiding having to manually run SQL queries on your installation.

If you need further assistance, contact me.

Tye 08-23-2007 06:19 PM

Ah... I get it :)

I thought you had 2 separate methods of doing the install - I didn't realize you had to do both

intel352 08-24-2007 03:43 AM

np, I'll make sure the docs are more clear from now on :-)

ankki 08-24-2007 07:41 AM

Hi ppl,
How can I make this mod work on IIS with ISAPI_rewrite?
Thanks a lot,

Ankki

Tye 08-27-2007 12:09 AM

Nah mate - you've done enough :)

I'll just make sure I read it correctly

Tye 08-27-2007 10:25 PM

On another note though - I am getting the same problem as Andrea
Quote:

Any ideas?

intel352 08-28-2007 04:04 AM

PM me your site x-cart login & phpmyadmin/cpanel info, I'll check into it for you.
If you're not comfortable with that, I'll attempt a test with a fresh 4.1.8 install to see if anything breaks.

Tye 08-28-2007 03:54 PM

Thanks for the offer intel352, but I PM'd Andrea and she gave the solution to run the xcseo_remove.sql patch first - which I did and it all worked perfectly :)

intel352 08-28-2007 04:17 PM

good to hear :-)

pumpkins 09-07-2007 06:51 AM

what is the procedure to unistall XC SEO?

intel352 09-07-2007 07:11 PM

may I ask, why do you wish to uninstall?

you can go into the Module settings, uncheck the module so that it is disabled. if you need completely removed, you would need to either manually run the SQL files that uninstall, or use the XC SEO Installer script to uninstall

pumpkins 09-08-2007 05:34 PM

I had XC SEO installed on my X-cart for over a month now. Obviously from the SEO stand point it improves significantly from the ⌠out-of-the-box■ X-cart. It even rewrites the static embedded pages, which is awesome. However as I learn more about SEO I started to think that I want more control than what XC SEO has to offer at this point. As you might know already, to optimize a site does not only involve optimizing just one or two keywords; instead, there are multiple keyword clusters. For example:

Laser printer
-HP laser printer
-Brother laser printer
-Laser printer for home
-Heavy duty laser printer

Toner cartridges
-HP toner cartridges
-Color toner cartridges
-Remanufactured toner cartridges

Above is the example of 2 clusters. Each cluster has a main keyword and some sub-keywords. On the homepage you might want to optimize for 3~4 main keywords, but as you go deeper into the site, you might have to pick a few sub-keywords and optimize those on a specific page. If we use the printer example, it doesn▓t make sense to inject ⌠color toner cartridges■ in to a page when the page is selling b/w laser printer.

That is one of the downside with XC SEO, you pick a few keywords and it injects them onto every url. Which is better than the junk that the default X-cart gives you, however it can be better. That▓s why I am thinking of switching to CDSEO instead. I haven▓t completely decided yet, since CDSEO is very expensive and I am not making any profit yet.

Anyway, that▓s the reason. So going back to the steps to uninstall XC SEO, do I just run the install.php again? Is it pretty much self explanatory once I run the file?

intel352 09-09-2007 09:59 AM

thanks for the explanation, i can understand and agree with what you said :-) xc seo is intended right now to be the free alternative to DSEFU, as CDSEO definitely does give better control over url generation

pretty much, the easiest way to disable xc seo is to uncheck the module so that it's disabled, remove the custom htaccess rules, and find a way to redirect your dynamic urls to whatever location you want them to be located at now (as you can lose some page rank if you don't have 301 redirects to the "new" page locations)

you don't *need* to remove xc seo SQL and code modifications, as it won't interfere anymore with your urls

if you want it completely gone, you'll essentially need to step backwards through the install documentation that you used. assuming you used the xc seo installer, you'll need to run that again, and I believe you should have the option to uninstall (might just be reinstall though, i don't remember for certain). if it doesn't provide the option to uninstall, then you'll need to use the xc seo SQL files that were provided to remove XC SEO's changes

then you'll need to step through the code modifications to put your original code back in place

but again, all of that can be avoided by just disabling xc seo via admin and removing the rewrite rules from .htaccess