X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   ATTN: Upgrade packs to 4.4.3 updated (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=59810)

seyfin 06-16-2011 09:40 PM

ATTN: Upgrade packs to 4.4.3 updated

Dear Customers,

We have released an updated version of upgrade packs to 4.4.3.

Prior version of upgrade packs to 4.4.3, as well as regular 4.4.3 install, introduced a new module initialization routine, which entirely replaced the old one. That caused most 3rd party modules to stop working, as they were not compatible with the new module initialization routine. The updated upgrade packs are aimed to solve this problem.

Now, when upgrading to version 4.4.3, the old module initialization routine is NOT removed, but it adds the new module initialization routine and a new option, "Use new module initialization routine" (disabled by default), which enables/disables the new feature.

Users who use regular 4.4.3 install, or the old version of upgrade packs to upgrade their install to 4.4.3, need to apply special patches, which:

- Restore the old module initialization routine, as an alternative to the new one;
- Add a new option "Use new module initialization routine" to the admin area, which enables/disables the new module initialization routine; the option is disabled by default.

These improvements will be included into version 4.4.4 as well.

For more information about the improvement please refer to our Knowledge Base:
X-Cart:New module initialization routine

Thank you.

======
[UPDATE: Answers to FAQs]

1) If you upgrade your install using new upgrade packs 4.4.0/2->4.4.3 (released 10 June, 2011), you do not need to apply any patches.

2) If your X-Cart store 4.4.3 (or later) has ANY add-on modules that DO NOT support the new module initialization routine, it is recommended to keep the option "Use new module initialization routine" DISABLED. When disabled, the program will use the old module initialization routine.

3) The add-on modules which support the new module initialization routine, will still operate correctly with the option "Use new module initialization routine" DISABLED.

4) Third party mod vendors DO NOT have to provide options for mods that are compatible with the "old module initialization routine" and "new module initialization routine".

Third party mod vendors are recommended to adjust their existing mods for 4.4 (in other words, release new versions of their mods for 4.4) in order to bring their mods to compliance with the new module initialization routine. The necessary changes are described in the Knowledge Base. When properly done, the new mod versions will support both old and new initialization routines.

Dongan 06-16-2011 09:53 PM

Re: ATTN: Upgrade packs to 4.4.3 updated

Quote:

Originally Posted by seyfin
For more information please refer to our Knowledge Base:

Nice to have this improvement.

PhilJ 06-16-2011 10:05 PM

Clear as mud for the average punter, but good nontheless I guess...

seyfin 06-17-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilJ
Clear as mud for the average punter, but good nontheless I guess...

I hope the information will be useful for third-party developers and experienced users who are upgrading their carts.

Anyway, if something is still unclear or you have any question, do not hesitate to ask. I will be glad to help you.

cflsystems 06-17-2011 04:16 AM

Sergey I just downloaded again all 4.4.x upgrade packs and 4.4.3 installation packs - this fix is NOT included in my files. How can I know that my file area has the upgraded upgrade packs and installation? There is no indication at all. By your post I am under the impression that if I download them right now this new updated version is what I will get but it is not.

gb2world 06-17-2011 10:47 AM

Not cleat at all.

Do third party mod vendors now have to provide options for mods that are compatible with the "old module initialization routine" and the "new module initialization routine"? Or, is there still only one mod version per x-cart major version?

Typical installations have 3rd party mods installed from a range of vendors. Do all the third party mods have to be consistent within a single installation? In other words - all mods in a single x-cart 4.4.3 installation must use either "old module initialization routine" or "new module initialization routine"?

Do the third parties need to supply mods with both old and new installation routines? Previously - we would purchase a mod from a vendor based on the x-cart major version. We would see a "4.4.x" selection in the pull down.

Now - would we also have to select an option like this when purchasing mods?:
4.4.1-3 old module initialization routine
4.4.3-x new module initialization routine

---

seyfin 06-20-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflsystems
Sergey I just downloaded again all 4.4.x upgrade packs and 4.4.3 installation packs - this fix is NOT included in my files. How can I know that my file area has the upgraded upgrade packs and installation? There is no indication at all. By your post I am under the impression that if I download them right now this new updated version is what I will get but it is not.

All new updated versions of upgrade packs (4.4.0->4.4.3, 4.4.1->4.4.3, 4.4.2->4.4.3) have this fix included in "init.php.diff" and "patch.sql" files.

4.4.3 installation packs does not have this fix included. So, users who use regular 4.4.3 install, or the old version of upgrade packs to upgrade their install to 4.4.3, need to apply special patches:

http://help.qtmsoft.com/index.php?title=X-Cart:New_module_initialization_routine#Attention_u sers_who_use...0_June.2C_2011

FiberGuy 06-20-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

So, users who use regular 4.4.3 install, or the old version of upgrade packs to upgrade their install to 4.4.3, need to apply special patches

*sigh*

balinor 06-20-2011 01:51 PM

Why not just release a 4.4.4 to fix the mess you made with 4.4.3? Now you are going to confuse the hell out of everyone who already upgraded to 4.4.3 and most likely make it impossible for them to upgrade to 4.4.4.

kustomrides 06-20-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Users who use regular 4.4.3 install, or the old version of upgrade packs to upgrade their install to 4.4.3, need to apply special patches, which:

- Restore the old module initialization routine, as an alternative to the new one;
- Add a new option "Use new module initialization routine" to the admin area, which enables/disables the new module initialization routine; the option is disabled by default.

These improvements will be included into version 4.4.4 as well.

For more information please refer to our Knowledge Base:

Thank you.

Am I to understand that those of us who upgraded with the old setup need to apply these two patches?:

http://help.qtmsoft.com/index.php?title=File:Patch_add_new_module_initiali zation443.diff

http://help.qtmsoft.com/index.php?title=File:Patch_add_new_module_initiali zation443.sql

gb2world 06-20-2011 06:19 PM

It appears the need to apply the patches depends if you have third party mods that use "old module initialization routine" as opposed to "new module initialization routine". From what I can tell reading the Knowledge Base - the cart will perform better using the new initialization routine. But since there was not advance communication of this change to 3rd party developers, now it is confusing if we have 3rd party mods with "old" or with "new" initialization routine. So the QT solution was to make a switch in the admin - either support all "old" or all "new". (? not sure if you can have mixed old vs new?)

To complicate - depending on when you downloaded the distribution or upgrades - you may need to apply patches.

This is extremely sloppy planning, testing and release procedures. It is confusing and leaves me not knowing for sure what to do other than ask all the third party providers to provided modules that support "new module initialization routine" for 4.4.3 and ignore the recently released patches. Hopefully that will work.

Is it correct that "old module initialization routine" option is only required if you have third party mods that have not already made adjustments for the 4.4.3 changes? If some of them have and some of them have not - then you would have to make them all one way or the other.

Can anyone who has a really good handle on this confirm that the best advise is to use only mods that have made adjustments for "new module initialization routine" and ignore these patches?

Then - to upgrade from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4 - you won't have to un-apply the patch. And - you may as well start asking 3rd party developers to supply "new module initialization routine" if you have not already done so. It looks like it will be un advisable for anyone to stick with 4.4.3 anyway.

---

cflsystems 06-20-2011 06:26 PM

@ Sergey - I downloaded upgrade packs again and yes patches are now there, thank you

@ Sergey - this is the second time gb2world is asking about new/old init routine and no answer - can we mix and match or is either the one or the other?

Oh and ya balinor is right - scrap 4.4.3 and release 4.4.4 that fixes the 4.4.3 mess as it is really a mess

FiberGuy 06-20-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustomrides

Yes, essentially we're having to patch a defective patch. Any guesses what the next step will be?

gb2world 06-20-2011 08:13 PM

I still think the best advise may be to ignore these patches unless you have a whole bunch of add-on modules that have not been already adjusted to work. If most of your mods are working, it seems it would just be best to focus on the mods that need to be updated. See if the vendors will help you. If not, the KB link posted above tells how to make the necessary changes. I suspect this patch is only to help people who use a bunch of mods that have yet to be updated. If you have even one mod that has been updated, then it may be better to start getting all of them updated. Vendors will have to do it for 4.4.4 anyway - unless QT tells us one of the settings will support both old and new initialization routines. If some setting supports both - then the patch just lets you go to "new" when everything is ready. If it is either "all new" or "all old", then it depends on the status of all your mods.

If QT had not released this patch - I think I would be able to go to a vendors site and select a mod that they had stated works for 4.4.3. Now - I have no idea what to select from a vendor's site unless they say "new initialization routine" or "old initialization routine".

Or - it is entirely possible that I don't know what the heck is going on. I am the "average punter" for whom this is clear as mud that Phil described in his post above. Maybe just "punt" until 4.4.4 comes out and hope that all the vendors understand this and know what to do.

---

seyfin 06-20-2011 08:43 PM

Dear Gabriel (gb2world),

I am sorry for not answering to your questions earlier. I will prepare comprehensive answers to all your questions in a couple of hours. Thank you for your patience.

seyfin 06-21-2011 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustomrides

Users who upgraded with the old setup need to apply these patches.

Users running regular 4.4.3 installation need to apply these patches as well.

These patches restore the old module initialization routine (which was removed in 4.4.3), as well as add a new option in the admin back-end to enable/disable the new module initialization routine.

This new option can be used to eliminate possible compatibility issues with the add-on modules which do not support the new module initialization routine.

If you have any add-on module which do not support the new module initialization routine, it is recommended to keep the new option disabled.

seyfin 06-21-2011 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balinor
Why not just release a 4.4.4 to fix the mess you made with 4.4.3? Now you are going to confuse the hell out of everyone who already upgraded to 4.4.3 and most likely make it impossible for them to upgrade to 4.4.4.

Upgrade packs to 4.4.4 will take into consideration all possible cases:

1) Those who have regular 4.4.3 installation and the patches NOT applied.

2) Those who have regular 4.4.3 installation + the patches applied.

3) Those who have 4.4.3 upgraded with the old upgrade packs and the patches NOT applied.

4) Those who have 4.4.3 upgraded with the old upgrade packs + the patches applied.

5) Those who have 4.4.3 upgraded with the new upgrade packs (no patches is needed).

Regular 4.4.4 installation will include the patches (i.e. it will support both new and old module initialization routines, as well as the option in the admin back-end to enable/disable the new module initialization routine).

FiberGuy 06-21-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Upgrade packs to 4.4.4 will take into consideration all cases:

1) Those who have regular 4.4.3 installation and the patches NOT applied.

2) Those who have have 4.4.3 upgraded with the old upgrade packs and the patches NOT applied.

3) Those who have regular 4.4.3 installation + the patches applied.

4) Those who have 4.4.3 upgraded with the old upgrade packs + the patches applied.

5) Those who have 4.4.3 upgraded with the new upgrade packs.

Sergey, you do realize just how confusing and potentially devastating this can be to the average user who doesn't have full-time support to keep tabs on this stuff, don't you?

I'm fortunate that I can devote part of my day to the forums, and keep reasonably updated withe the latest information - but many ecommerce vendors are not. They want specific instructions and "how-to's"

Is Qualiteam willing to foot the bill on the many support request that I foresee on:
1) incorrect upgrade being applied
~AND~
2) detailed answers to the question, "Which upgrade do I need, can you please look at my site?"

seyfin 06-21-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb2world
Do third party mod vendors now have to provide options for mods that are compatible with the "old module initialization routine" and the "new module initialization routine"? Or, is there still only one mod version per x-cart major version?

Typical installations have 3rd party mods installed from a range of vendors. Do all the third party mods have to be consistent within a single installation? In other words - all mods in a single x-cart 4.4.3 installation must use either "old module initialization routine" or "new module initialization routine"?

Do the third parties need to supply mods with both old and new installation routines? Previously - we would purchase a mod from a vendor based on the x-cart major version. We would see a "4.4.x" selection in the pull down.

Now - would we also have to select an option like this when purchasing mods?:
4.4.1-3 old module initialization routine
4.4.3-x new module initialization routine

Third party mod vendors DO NOT have to provide options for mods that are compatible with the "old module initialization routine" and the "new module initialization routine".

Third party mod vendors are recommended to adjust their existing mods for 4.4 (in other words, release new versions of their mods for 4.4) in order to bring their mods to compliance with the new module initialization routine. The necessary changes are described in the Knowledge Base. When properly done, the new mod versions will support both old and new initialization routines.

If your X-Cart store 4.4.3 (or later) has ANY add-on modules that do NOT support the new module initialization routine, it is recommended to keep the option "Use new module initialization routine" DISABLED. When disabled, the program will use the old module initialization routine.

The add-on modules which support the new module initialization routine, will still operate correctly with the option "Use new module initialization routine" DISABLED.

cherie 06-21-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balinor

Yes, this should have been released as 4.4.4.

gb2world 06-21-2011 03:09 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Sergey.

I understand you are recommending the third party vendors update their modules following your KB for the 4.4.4 release in August.

However - I still think it would be helpful for the 3rd party vendors to note when a module available for 4.4.3 has been modified according to the KB with the new initialization routine.

The reason is - ideally - to achieve the performance enhancement, we would want to have "Use new module initialization routine" ENABLED. But as long as one of the 3rd party or QT mods being used is not properly updated, we must have it set to DISABLED. This will true when 4.4.4 rolls out as well.

Your patch allowed us to set to "DISABLED" and still have a mix of mods - which is a good thing. But ideally we need everything to be updated so we can use the "ENABLED" setting. Therefore, we still need to know when purchasing and installing mods if they have been updated or not.

While they DO NOT have to provide options for mods that are compatible with the old and new initialization routine - if any one mod we use only provides for old, that would cause the shop owner to run in "DISABLED", and not have the performance optimized. So, we still have a need-to-know if a module we purchase is updated or not.

---

seyfin 06-22-2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiberGuy
Sergey, you do realize just how confusing and potentially devastating this can be to the average user who doesn't have full-time support to keep tabs on this stuff, don't you?

I'm fortunate that I can devote part of my day to the forums, and keep reasonably updated with the latest information - but many ecommerce vendors are not. They want specific instructions and "how-to's"

All users who are not updated with this forum thread yet, and eventually run into the compatibility issue between 4.4.3 and add-on modules, are welcome to contact our support team for assistance. Our support engineers will provide the necessary patches free of charge.

Besides, these patches are available in our Knowledge Base.

The patches can be easily installed on 4.4.3 using the patch/upgrade utility in the X-Cart admin back-end.

We will also inform the third-party developers participating in the X-Cart Marketplace, and recommend them to update their modules for 4.4.3 (and later versions) in order to support the new module initialization routine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiberGuy
Is Qualiteam willing to foot the bill on the many support request that I foresee on:
1) incorrect upgrade being applied
~AND~
2) detailed answers to the question, "Which upgrade do I need, can you please look at my site?"

We will release a single upgrade pack to 4.4.4. It will automatically take into consideration all the cases mentioned in my previous post #17.

So, I believe the upgrade should be seamless for the average user.

Online Michael 06-22-2011 05:23 AM

Sergey,

The fact that someone was allowed to make an alteration to the very core of the shopping cart, without any consideration for the consequences and likely damage it could cause, is a major stuff-up on the part of Qualiteam. There is no denying this. A one step forward and two steps back situation is no way to run a business when so many people rely on you to do things right.

So now, as it seems, all energies are diverted to damage control and fixing issues that shouldn't have been there in the first place and making 3rd party developers scurry to make their software compatible. It's not exactly the sort of thing anyone in the X-Cart community was expecting, that's for sure. And all of a sudden, upgrading has become harder and more complicated too.

My advice to Qualiteam is this... Please stop with the enhancements and concentrate on fixing the problems. All we want is a shopping cart that works! Leave all the enhancements to version 5.0!

seyfin 06-22-2011 01:55 PM

Thank you, Michael. You are absolutely right. We will take your advise into consideration, surely.

Paul H 07-22-2011 01:55 AM

Hello
I'm about to upgrade my store.
Do I wait for 4.4.4 ? How much longer for this version?
It's a long time since I did work on my shop so a couple of weeks more is no problem
Cheers
Paul

cflsystems 07-22-2011 03:04 AM

If your store is not at 4.4.2 right now you can upgrade to 4.4.2 otherwise wait for 4.4.4.
4.4.3 is more trouble

Paul H 07-22-2011 05:32 AM

That's what I figured.
I'm not one for constantly upgrading everytime Xcart throw out a new version so I try and get the newest most stable version and then leave it for a couple of years.
I guess that the 4.4.4 will be the stable finished version ?
Thanks
Paul

seyfin 08-10-2011 06:44 AM

The ETA for 4.4.4 relese is the 15th of September.

cflsystems 08-10-2011 06:52 AM

Bug free Sergey? Or should we expect 4.4.5 to follow?

seyfin 08-11-2011 01:07 AM

As bug free as possible, Steve.
We will decide about 4.4.5 after 4.4.4 is released.

Steel 08-29-2011 08:52 AM

Is the ETA for 4.4.4 release still around the 15th of September?

cflsystems 08-29-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel
Is the ETA for 4.4.4 release still around the 15th of September?

I was just about to ask the same thing. Sergey, will there be any more delays for 4.4.4? Just looking for an update on this. Thanks

seyfin 08-31-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

I was just about to ask the same thing. Sergey, will there be any more delays for 4.4.4? Just looking for an update on this. Thanks

We do not expect any delays for 4.4.4.
If any unexpected delays still occur, I will let you know.

seyfin 09-14-2011 02:39 AM

I am writing to inform you that we have postponed the release of 4.4.4 till the 19th of September, Monday.

Please accept our sincere appologies for possible inconvenience caused by the delay.

gb2world 09-14-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

As bug free as possible

Hello Sergey -
I know you can't predict what is unknown, but assuming the Issue Tracker lists all known bugs:

On the day of the 4.4..4 release - Will we be able to assume that everything in the "Resolved" category has been patched and released in 4.4.4?

If the Issue Tracker could be sorted by"Confirmed" on the day 4.4.4 is released - then, could we assume that everything still in "Confirmed" is not fixed in 4.4.4?

Issue tracker is not easy to sort through, but a vast improvement over cluttered forum threads. I think people reporting bugs on the forum have been urged to log everything to the Issue Tracker by the community. It is also difficult to go through the changelog and try and determine which changes correlate to existing bugs. So, the assurance that the Issue Tracker is up to date with 4.4.4 will be helpful.

----

seyfin 09-15-2011 01:38 AM

Everything in the "Resolved" category has been patched and released in 4.4.4.

Everything in the "Confirmed" category is still not fixed in 4.4.4, unfortunately. Anyway, all confirmed and not fixed bugs are considered to be minor bugs or bugs that can be replicated under specific and rare conditions. These bugs are going to be fixed in the next release.

cflsystems 09-18-2011 02:13 PM

Is today the day? ;)

TL408 09-18-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Is today the day? ;)

Hopefully it wont get delay again :)

seyfin 09-19-2011 08:57 AM

X-Cart v4.4.4 has been released

SGS 09-19-2011 12:23 PM

Great!! Any chance of getting an update pack for 4.4.3 to 4.4.4? I need the data base update?

Never mind, I see in the channel log the upgrade packs will be released in a week or so.