X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   LiteCommerce v3 Preview (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=53836)

rrf 05-20-2010 06:21 AM

LiteCommerce v3 Preview

Today, we are making Alpha version of LiteCommerce version 3 available to all users.

It's not final version, it's not stable version, just a quick preview.

But LiteCommerce v3 already has these major advantages over LiteCommerce v2:

1) Performance: LCv3 is more than twice faster that LCv2.
2) No encryption. That means no problems with IONCube.
3) AJAX in customer interface.

And one more thing: it has support for Drupal CMS integration. This means they can work together as full functional e-commerce CMS. And this means you can use 5,000+ Drupal addons on site with LiteCommerce v3.

... and speaking of X-Cart version 5, you can treat LC v3 as the first sign of upcoming X-Cart v5. Because they will share the platform and will only be different in the number of features.

LiteCommerce v3 Alpha is available to everyone free of charge.

rrf 05-20-2010 06:23 AM

Re: LiteCommerce v3 Preview

Some more details:

Unlike v2, LC v3 is not split into many small modules. We decided to group most modules together and some are still missing compared to v2.

By the time we release production version of LiteCommerce v3, there will be more modules and a way to add install modules (including third party ones) straight from the admin interface.

Swish 05-20-2010 06:29 AM

So Litecommerce is not now being merged with X-cart into X-cart 5?

I'm confused here.

Is Litecommerce going to remain the 'lite' cart system while 'x-cart 5' is the pro solution?
So QT now have 3 cart systems to manage and develop?

Regarding LC3. Does it contain the same feature set as LC 2? It looks a million miles away from LC2.

I have a business based on LC2 and I've been holding out for x-cart 5 but now you have LC3 which I don't really understand what its about. The website is pretty vague. Can you perhaps explain in simple terms to existing LC2 users please?

xplorer 05-20-2010 11:24 AM

Hi!

LiteCommerce v3 is the first step towards a single ecommerce platform written in PHP. We plan to use it for all future PHP ecommerce solutions. "X-Cart 5" will be a paid solution built on that platform when it goes out of alpha/beta stage.

Right now LiteCommerce v3 has less features than v2.2. However, it is faster and can easily be integrated with Drupal. Drupal is a leading CMS solution, a true CMS solution with professional content-management functions and tons of custom skins and modules: blogs, forums, newsletters, social bookmarking, Google Analytics, and so on. And all these modules can be transparently integrated into your ecommerce website without customization. There is no shopping cart software that can do that out of the box.

Of course we will add more "shopping cart" features when implement several "must-have" improvements (ORM, a function to install and keep custom modules up to date, and so on) to the LiteComerce core and when we get rid of bugs.

For those who need an ecommerce solution right now, we will release X-Cart 4.4 that will feature many functions requested for "X-Cart 5".

kulture 05-20-2010 03:52 PM

It certainly looks completely different to LC 2.2. It seems to have a lot less functions, and naturally is not a serious contender for any LC user who wants to move to a more advanced looking cart now. So the upgrade path is to xcart 4.4 and then to xcart 5 which will be LC 3.1+ (i.e. a stable version of LC3 with added goodies to make it a real cart.)

One thought stands out for me. The average Litecommerce user wants a straightforward yet powerfull SHOPPING CART, not a complex CMS with a cart bolted on. Maybe this platform will appeal to the X-Cart user base as they are clearly more comfortable with compex systems and seem to like to play arround with the code and get their hands dirty.

kulture 05-20-2010 03:59 PM

p.s. in the demo I hate the checkout. No option to checkout as a guest, if you make a mistake and the error messages appear all your typing is obliterated and you have to start from the beginning.

labboy 05-21-2010 03:41 PM

Hey All,

OK, I'll admit it, I am seriously confused here.

I went today to find a add on for LC - the Quickbooks module, and found instead a whole new site. Great on the announcement of V3 but folks, c'mon, you have totally ditched the legacy system, or so it seems.

I have been running LC since about '04. I have two major product sites integrated with it: http://www.lab-gear.com and http://www.mountaincycle.com. We have developed what is a fairly seamless integration between our front end sites and our LC backends and have everyone running along happily. Now though I am getting rather nervous because it seem that the new LC is from the ground up, lacks the functionality and to be honest I have zero interest in Dupral. With modules etc. seemingly dropping off the radar, am I to accept that LC2.x is going to go the way of the dinosaurs?

What are the options here? Move to X-Cart? I liked LC because it was light, not a monster with a bunch of stuff we don't need. But if it's no longer in game play, what should I do??

Suggestions would b appreciated because we are revamping one of the sites and will be running the entire backend operation through LC. I'd like to know now before it's too late if this is a dumb move now.

Oh, and what did happen to some of the LC modules like Quickbooks integration?

Thanks!

g

ADDISON 05-22-2010 12:14 AM

why drupal and not joomla? joomla is more friendly user interface. I've made a try with drupal a week, than I went back to joomla.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrf
And one more thing: it has support for Drupal CMS integration. This means they can work together as full functional e-commerce CMS. And this means you can use 5,000+ Drupal addons on site with LiteCommerce v3.

rrf 05-22-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labboy
Hey All,

OK, I'll admit it, I am seriously confused here.

I went today to find a add on for LC - the Quickbooks module, and found instead a whole new site. Great on the announcement of V3 but folks, c'mon, you have totally ditched the legacy system, or so it seems.

I have been running LC since about '04. I have two major product sites integrated with it: http://www.lab-gear.com and http://www.mountaincycle.com. We have developed what is a fairly seamless integration between our front end sites and our LC backends and have everyone running along happily. Now though I am getting rather nervous because it seem that the new LC is from the ground up, lacks the functionality and to be honest I have zero interest in Dupral. With modules etc. seemingly dropping off the radar, am I to accept that LC2.x is going to go the way of the dinosaurs?

What are the options here? Move to X-Cart? I liked LC because it was light, not a monster with a bunch of stuff we don't need. But if it's no longer in game play, what should I do??

Suggestions would b appreciated because we are revamping one of the sites and will be running the entire backend operation through LC. I'd like to know now before it's too late if this is a dumb move now.

Oh, and what did happen to some of the LC modules like Quickbooks integration?

Thanks!

g

LC 2.2 is fully in play, all modules are still available for download / purchase in the HelpDesk. Please contact sales@litecommerce.com if you need any help in purchasing the modules.

Swish 05-22-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplorer
For those who need an ecommerce solution right now, we will release X-Cart 4.4 that will feature many functions requested for "X-Cart 5".

Anyone in their right mind is not going to start a business based on a cart which is soon to be scrapped.

I'm really concerned here about QT's leadership and direction.

Currently your development team is spread across X-cart 4, X-cart 5, LC3 and Ecwid. Are you confused as a company? This is way too fragmented.

You announced last year the LC and x-cart 4 would be replaced with x-cart 5.
With competitors carts becoming more and more feature rich and leading the way I actually thought it was a good idea that you had decided to put all your energy into x-cart 5 rather than maintaining two systems.
Then out of nowhere you release ecwid. I still don't really understand what it is to be honest.
Then on Thursday we get LC V3 which has nothing to do with LC V2 so really LC V3 is a brand new platform.
Now you are saying LC V3 is a preview for X-cart 5. What????????????????????

Don't get me wrong, QT are an exciting talented company but are you really listening to your existing customers and what they require?

kulture 05-22-2010 03:10 AM

I have noticed that all the replies are from Litecommerce users. Is it perhaps the thread title putting off the X-Cart users from reading the thread and discovering the plan for X-Cart 5, or are they all happy?

I wonder if the title can be changed to include X-Cart5.

Shamun 05-22-2010 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulture
I have noticed that all the replies are from Litecommerce users. Is it perhaps the thread title putting off the X-Cart users from reading the thread and discovering the plan for X-Cart 5, or are they all happy?

I wonder if the title can be changed to include X-Cart5.

I've been watching the thread, but I'm not all to concerned with releases that aren't titled "xcart 5".
Once a business is established with a major cart version, generally upgrading to a different major version or entirely switching is not a good option.

All I really see from LC v3 is a platform for new people to the software and future customers. Granted I don't see why LC3 was released... As someone previously said, there's just way to many things qualiteam is developing.

cflsystems 05-22-2010 07:09 AM

Yes I read the thread when it started but I am not interested in LC so had nothing to say about it. Ruslan mentioned this is an early preview of xcart5 but when I looked at it there is not much to comment. I too am not sure why QT is spread on some many fronts and keeps puching back release dates instead of putting 90% of its resources to get xcart5 done.

ADDISON 05-22-2010 08:33 AM

I would like to know who will take the knowledges advantage with the new platform. An X-Cart user or a LiteCommerce one?

May I see this new platform working, LiteCommerce v3? Will it be hard to migrate to upcoming X5 from X-Cart v4.4?

kulture 05-22-2010 11:28 AM

I guess the questions that I would ask if I were on xcart 4.x would be when will xcart 5 come out; when will the support for xcart 4.x cease; and is drupal necessary (i.e. how much functionality depends on drupal)?

To say that LCv3 and xcart 5 are just for new customers is a bit short sighted. Qualiteam cannot continue to support 4 carts forever so the older carts will eventually get abandoned. If enough xcart users feel that this is going the wrong way then now is the time to stand up and say so, before Qualiteam go too far down a one-way road. Likewise if xcart users like this direction then they should also say so. It is clear that Qualiteam do not consider too highly the opinion of LC users. Xcart users however are a much larger population and if a significant percentage do not like this new platform then they will no doubt find an alternative solution, and this is in no-one's interest.

I still think that it is not at all clear that this is the basis for the new xcart, and even less clear what dupral brings and what the cart will be without it.

gb2world 05-22-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

I still think that it is not at all clear that this is the basis for the new xcart

It's clear, unless you don't take the CEO and Director of Marketing at their word:

Quote:

and speaking of X-Cart version 5, you can treat LC v3 as the first sign of upcoming X-Cart V5. Because they will share the platform and will only be different in the number of features.
Quote:

LiteCommerce v3 is the first step towards a single ecommerce platform written in PHP. We plan to use it for all future PHP ecommerce solutions. "X-Cart 5" will be a paid solution built on that platform when it goes out of alpha/beta stage.

It seems unreasonable to demand all the improvements for V5 and not expect significant changes in its architecture. That does not mean it is only for new customers - it just means we should not expect easy upgrades from 4 to 5. And, if you are looking towards V5 - it also opens the door to you to consider other platforms.

It does not seem QT can continue to advance on the 4.x branch and expect to be competitive. All they can do is what they are doing - maximize what is possible with 4.4 and hopefully build something with V5 that can advance. Unlike LC - XCART has a good supply of 3rd party developers, and the code is open - so if there is a market for it - the 4.4 branch should be viable for some time. And, we should expect advances on that branch from 3rd parties if there is a market. That is not new for us - how many indispensable mods for us come from 3rd parties? Do we expect they will all discontinue support for V4 addons even if QT moves away from it?

Drupal is pretty awesome in its capabilities, and how this LC version is integrated will be interesting. Drupal has some of the capabilities for improved upgrade process, theming that can be separate from the upgrade process, defined APIs for integration of mods, thousands of themes & mods, modules for performance enhancements, modules for development, wikis, video tutorials, a large community of users, etc. etc. etc.
And if you want a rich supply of 3rd party developers, Drupal has that in place. QT has given us a means to take a look at where they are headed - that is a positive step. Now, just to find the time to look...

Ene 05-23-2010 04:28 AM

Quote:

Then out of nowhere you release ecwid. I still don't really understand what it is to be honest.

What is Ecwid?
It is a finalist of The Next Web Paypal X Startup Rally: http://thenextweb.com/eu/2010/04/12/announcing-finalists-web-paypal-startup-rally-2010/#more-43874 : -)

If you have questions how Ecwid works or how you can use it, feel free to PM me.

kulture 05-23-2010 09:45 AM

gb2world You are right, IF you read this thread it is very clear that LC V3 is the basis for X-Cart V5. What I was trying to say is that many XCart users will NOT read this thread because of its title It is the title that does not make it clear.

kulture 05-23-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gb2world
QT has given us a means to take a look at where they are headed - that is a positive step. Now, just to find the time to look...

Absolutely, and it may well be a great future.

garry 05-23-2010 12:53 PM

How do we get a copy of LC V3?

Swish 05-23-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garry
How do we get a copy of LC V3?

www.litecommerce.com

garry 05-23-2010 01:07 PM

Thanks, going to take a good look at this, as we have been hanging around and not making improvements to our X-cart 4.3.1 whilst waiting for V5

garry 05-24-2010 12:47 AM

We have tried to install the LC V3 on the server, howver LC V3 requires that
"disable_functions = show_source, system, shell_exec, proc_open, dl" are enabled, our hosting company will not remove these as they say it is for security,
quote "We have these functions disabled for security reasons and to ensure continued server security are not able to remove these restrictions."

Does anyone know if this will be the same when the version proper arrives?

xplorer 05-25-2010 01:45 AM

Please discuss all LC3-related topics and issues at http://www.litecommerce.com/forum

kulture 05-25-2010 04:13 AM

A sensible move. This forum's great weakness is newbies posting xcart questions/answers on Litecommerce topics and vice versa. It would be helpful if you policed this new forum and told the poor sod who has posted a LC2.x problem there that he will not get any help, and pointed him to here.

garry 05-25-2010 04:57 AM

My problem is sorted now now (thanks to the answer given in the new LCV3 forum).
I shall direct all my LC V3 posts there and keep my X_cart 4.3.1 posts to here.
Thanks

kalonji 10-04-2010 01:39 PM

Hello QT.

I am wondering when is the expected launch date of Xcartv5. I am currently using ecwid but need many more features and self hosted capability.... I would be interested in beta testing xcart v5 - full featured - GOLD - TOP OF THE LINE!

Thanks, :)
M

amy2203 10-04-2010 09:49 PM

afaik they are currently saying may 2011 for v5, and it will have less features the v4....

xplorer 10-05-2010 12:31 AM

Hi!

Quote:

I am wondering when is the expected launch date of Xcartv5

What I can say is that it won't be released before we release the first LC3 version (because XC5 will be some kind of a paid add-on/extension to LC3).

As for LC3. Four months ago we had released an alpha version of LC3. Since then we made many changes to its core and design. Although a new LC3 version is not ready for public testing yet, I would like to publish a couple of screenshots so that you could see what is already implemented: http://bit.ly/cnv9Br

Not all features from the screenshots are functional right now (and even may not be released with the first LC3 version; Wish List, for example). However it is not graphic templates - the screenshots are made on a real local LC3 installation.

Quote:

it will have less features the v4....

We won't stop after releasing the first version and will add more cool features in future LC3 versions :-)

ambal 10-05-2010 12:37 AM

> afaik they are currently saying may 2011 for v5, and it will have less
> features the v4....

Let me correct you a bit. LCv3 aka X-Cart v5.0 Light (working title) is going to have less features than X-Cart v4.4, but full v5 is going to have almost the same set of features current X-Cart c4.4.1 has.

The major improvements over X-Cart 4 are related to:
* upgrades (making them easier and user-friendly)
* storefront (AJAX, mobile devices)
* CMS (Drupal + 1000s of it's extensions)
* extensions/skins repository (to search, download and install extensions/skins right from the store's back-end)

amy2203 10-05-2010 01:00 AM

Thanks for clarifying, so is the may 2011 a date for V5 light?

xplorer 10-05-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy2203
Thanks for clarifying, so is the may 2011 a date for V5 light?

Can't say for sure right now, but I hope we will release LC3 sooner.

Brian Peat 10-10-2010 01:33 PM

You can count me in the Joomla crowd. I build sites all day long in Joomla, and have one site that is using Xcart alongside joomla shell because Virtuemart is so buggy. I'd love to see it work INSIDE or with a login bridge with Joomla.

xplorer 11-04-2010 01:04 AM

Hi!

I've uploaded screenshots demonstrating three different display modes for product lists and a Drag'n'Drop cart tray: http://bit.ly/cnv9Br

xplorer 12-01-2010 10:23 AM

Hi!

LC3 alpha 2 is released:
http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=56830

TunerSTK 01-13-2011 12:35 PM

Brian I love Joomla for quick-n-dirty. Drupal 7 may really give it a run for its money in the sense that it will be easier/faster to get the same results.
That said I always get the feeling of complete chaos when working with Joomla.
Don't get me wrong Drupal is no model for organization, they just seem to have a more coherent long-term development strategy and leadership.

I would think it would not be to hard for X-cart to be built in a way it could easily be adapted to other php CMS being it sounds like it is a standalone app integrated into Drupal.

But Yah they would get a lot of people using it in Joomla if they integrated it into that CMS.

Scott

sambamu 01-14-2011 05:59 AM

Any thoughts on when LC3 is expected to released. Looking forward to it.

ADDISON 01-14-2011 06:20 AM

I am glad you rebuild the litecommerce site. For a while the entire layout was down.

I appreciate your feature to drag&drop product image over the bag. It could be improved. When you drag to see the bag near the product with transparency. It is more intuitive than now. If a customer scrolls down you can create confusion with drag function. First time I dragged the image to the top of the site, where the bag is.