X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   Changing design (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Manufacturers Drop Down (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=11631)

johnwhdavies 01-21-2005 03:19 PM

Manufacturers Drop Down

I have a drop down for the manufacturers MODULES->MANUFACTURERS->MENU_MANUFACTURERS.TPL, code here

<form name="form_manuf" method="get" action="manufacturers.php">
<select name="manufacturerid" onChange="document.form_manuf.submit()">
<option value="0" selected>Search By Manufacturer</option>
{section name=mid loop=$manufacturers_menu}
<option value="{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturerid}">{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturer}</option>
{/section}
</select>
</form>

However it does not seem to display more than 10 records and is not in alphabetical order, could anyone point me in the right direction to resolve these 2 issues.

Many Thanks in Advance

John

Jagmeister 02-01-2005 10:26 AM

Manufacturer Drop-Down Menu

Hi John,

Did you ever get this figured out? It sounds like something I would like to be able to do as well.

If not, I'll add it to my list of things to look at.

Thanks,
Matt

Danielle 02-14-2005 02:12 PM

However you have the order setup in the manufacturers in admin is how it will display. Also, in I believe general settings, you can adjust how many records are displayed in the manufacturers list. It worked fine for me, and showed the whole list, the only thing I didn't like was that it didn't really fit in with the rest of the store, also some of my manufacturer names are long and it doesn't wrap them, so it pushes my whole store out of whack...any idea how to fix this?

Danielle 03-02-2005 09:56 AM

OK, I almost have this working the way I want, except before, the manufacturer names would get wrapped if they were too long, now they're pushing over the rest of my store. Does anyone know how I can make the manufacturer names wrap? You can see my problem at http://www.themommymarketplace.com/~themomm//pages.php?pageid=1.

Thanks!

Tuner 04-20-2005 03:47 PM

One way to keep the names short is to use the same technique they use in Product.tpl to keep the description to only 300 words. Use Truncate to limit the lenght of the name. However this will cut off part of the name.

Did you ever get this so that it will work.

I made similar code myself almost identicle. I even used your code. and when I select a manufacture it does not load the page.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Any Suggestions.

http://seabass.handsonwebhosting.com/~scalecar

Danielle 04-20-2005 03:54 PM

Nope I gave up...very frustrating. It seems like it should be easy since the normal manufacturers box wraps the text, but I just couldn't figure out how to get the dropdown to do it...

Tuner 04-21-2005 09:35 AM

Try THis
Code:

<option value="{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturerid}">{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturer|truncate:17:"...":true}</option>

This will limit the lenght of the name to only 17 characters. you may want to adjust the number accordingly. It allso ads ... at the end of any name it cuts off.

Can you at least get this menu to work I shure can not it will not select the manufacture and display the product if I make a selelction.

Danielle 04-21-2005 10:41 AM

That worked great, thank you! :D Here is my whole code from menu_manufacturers.tpl, try just copying and pasting it and hopefully it will work for you too!
Quote:

{* $Id: menu_manufacturers.tpl,v 1.4 2004/06/22 05:38:52 max Exp $ *}
{if $manufacturers_menu ne ''}
{capture name=menu}
<option value="0" selected>Search</option>
<option value="{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturerid}">{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturer|truncate:12:"...":true}</option>
{/section}
</select>
</form>
{if $show_other_manufacturers}

{$lng.lbl_other_manufacturers}

{/if}
{/capture}
{include file="menu.tpl" dingbats="dingbats_categorie.gif" menu_title=$lng.lbl_manufacturers menu_content=$smarty.capture.menu}

{/if}

virtualdynamix 06-12-2005 10:33 PM

Danielle,

Thanks, your code worked great. My site is now much cleaner with the pulldown list.

Regards,

Tuner 06-12-2005 11:25 PM

Just a little heads up Any pull down list like this will not allow search engines to crawl your categories or Manufacuturers unless you have a site map or other NON JAVA meathods for linking
I prefer this modification because it uses actual URL I am not sure if a crawler will index this but their is definately more of a possibitlity bexause it actualy sees a link vor the value rather than just a Manuid I used this for my Categories also.

menu_manufacturers.tpl line:6
Code:

<form name="ManufacturerMenu">
    <select onChange="location=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;" style="font-size:11px; color:#333333; width:160px;">
    <option value="{$http_location}/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=0">Click for Manufacturers</option>
{if $manufacturers_menu[mid].products_count gt "0"}<option value="{$http_location}/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid={$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturerid}"{if $manufacturerid==$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturerid} selected {/if}>{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturer}</option>
{/if}{/section}
    </select>
  </form>

This is my Source Granted it is still java script but their at leas is and obvious link.(Im using a URL mod to get the .html not a catalog)
Quote:

<select onChange="location=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;" style="font-size:11px; color:#333333; width:160px;">
<option value="http://www.scalecars.com/manufacturers.php">Click for Manufacturers</option>

<option value="http://www.scalecars.com/Action-Performance-mid-22.html">Action Performance</option>
<option value="http://www.scalecars.com/Amalgam-mid-47.html">Amalgam</option>
<option value="http://www.scalecars.com/Anson-mid-6.html">Anson</option>

KCAutosound 06-16-2005 08:24 PM

Was the issue for showing only 10 manufacturers fixed? I have tried this but it only shows 10 for me.

Danielle 06-16-2005 08:30 PM

If you look under General Settings, then Modules, you will see where you can change the value for the Manufacturers List Limit, you can make it whatever you want! I just set mine really high so I wouldn't have to worry about them not all showing!

KCAutosound 06-16-2005 08:42 PM

thanks.... never noticed that setting before... I been diging through every file I could think of.

Danielle 06-16-2005 08:51 PM

I found it by accident when I first setup my cart, otherwise I would have had no idea either :lol:

DVDirect 06-16-2005 10:51 PM

Manufactures dop down list

Hi,

Edit how your manufactures listed in the Manufactures area, set ORDERBY which is numeric. You have to workout the order Alphabetic order and appy a number ORDERBY list.

In Genral Settings/Modules options towards the bottom you can enter the number of Manufactures you wish to be displayed. I think the default was set to 10.

I have the drop down list working onmy site.
Cheers,
Andrew

mffowler 06-17-2005 11:31 AM

Or Carrie has a post that offers random manufacturers and just add the manufacturers menu listed "Other manufacturers..." into the select box but out of the loop. Then you list will have the number you specify in the gen. settings and offer a link to the manufacturers page. Then you can tweak that and have groovy logos...

Mike

Amy 10-31-2005 09:46 AM

just a quick note to say thanks for posting... it was completed in less than a minute and now much nicer since we have 30+ to display!

chrisdesign 12-04-2005 08:24 PM

Why it doesn't work for my site?

Hi,

I just copied the code to menu_manufacturers.php. But why it doesn't work on my site? Always say "Object doesn't support this property or method"

anyone can give me some idea?
My site: http://www.beatdirect.com/index.php

Thanks,

Chris
chris_libin@hotmail.com

QVS 05-08-2007 11:47 AM

Re: Manufacturers Drop Down

does anyone know what is required to get it working in 4.1.6? any help would be appreciated :)

inebriate 05-08-2007 01:05 PM

if you want to list alphabetically just change the ORDER BY in customer_manufacturers.php from "orderby, manufacturer" to "manufacturer, orderby"

TA 01-07-2008 04:46 PM

In 4.1.8, if you want manufacturers in alphabetical order, just change all of the ORDER BY to "0" in admin. It then defaults to alphabetical.

mike_turbo 01-15-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle
That worked great, thank you! :D Here is my whole code from menu_manufacturers.tpl, try just copying and pasting it and hopefully it will work for you too!

This works nicely but how do i make it alphabetical ?

twinster 01-15-2008 03:20 AM

Hello
Any possibility to see this working on someone's site. I am looking for a type of sort/search/drop down but I have not been successful in which key words to search for.

Thanks
Twinster

mike_turbo 01-15-2008 03:27 AM

I have got it working on mine now

http://www.turbosat.com/shop/home.php

twinster 01-16-2008 03:57 AM

Hello
Yes that looks good. It is part of what I would like to do. The dropdown menu side. Ultimately I would like to have 4 search buttons like you have for manufacture with the drop down options, that people can fill in all 4 or just 1 to sort what they are looking for.

Let me see, if I can explain better; Each search box has is a drop choice.

1st search box - say choose - spa's (other categories for drop down available)
2nd search box - Country names - others listed choose 1
3rd search box - state names - as per above
4th search boox - men only - as per above
After all or some of the fields have been entered the search comes up with the customers answers.

I suppose its similar to a 4 flyout menu but as a drop down as I prefer drop downs to flyouts.

Hope this makes sense. Not being a tech, the info tech language confuses me.

Thanks
Twinster

mike_turbo 01-17-2008 02:00 AM

That is a lot more indepth from the manufacture drop down i would suggest posting this in a seperate thread asking if someone can do for you.

You may be quoted as it looks to be a custom code which you require.

Basically what you are after is something like what ebay offers ?

Mike

jbvideo 02-08-2008 11:32 AM

I am going to have a cart that sells videos ... and I would like all of the actors to be listed in a pull down menu for easy access.

It will be a supplemental item on the site ... not the main navigation.

Since I dont have more than one manufacturer in the cart (and never will), I was going to enter each actor as a manufacturer and use this very handy pull down menu code.

My concern is that over the next couple years, i will have hundreds of actors.

That doesnt bother me that the list will be ridiculously large ... but I'm planning ahead and wondering if this is too much for Xcart.

Will it slow down the system in any noticeable way?

is there a better way someone can help me with? I'm not really too savvy when it comes to smarty and php. Just html.

Thanks,
Sharon

TelaFirma 02-09-2008 03:35 AM

The only flaw in your logic is that videos have more than one actor and a product can only have one manufacturer.

jbvideo 02-09-2008 08:04 AM

yeah .. I thought of that as I was closing my eyes last night to go to sleep. I feel kind of silly for thinking of it in the first place.

Ok ... so if I used a drop down menu with html links instead ... and there were hundreds of them ... would that have an impact on the speed of my site?

twinster 02-20-2008 02:40 AM

Hello
Does this code work on 4.1.9?

Thanks
Twinster

MBA 02-20-2008 08:55 AM

We use this: http://www.telafirma.com/store/product.php?productid=16134&cat=0&bestseller=Y

Works very well

twinster 02-20-2008 01:45 PM

Thanks MBA
I do like Telafirma's mods and he is very helpful and that one looks good - I was hoping there was a freebie as I seem to be constantly putting my hand in my pocket.

So, obviously the one on this thread does not work for 4.1.9

Thanks again
Twinster

DavyMac 04-28-2008 02:53 AM

Although this mod functions as I want it to I am concerned whether the links in the drop down list are as attractive to Google as html links would be.

Can Google see the links in the drop down form?

kube 04-28-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyMac

Sort of; in most cases, no.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/solved-another-common-site-review-problem/

DavyMac 05-01-2008 12:47 AM

I thought not Kube, certainly Sitemap Generator can't see the links in the form, all my manufacturers pages have disappeared from our sitemap!

Not a big problem though.

MBA 05-01-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyMac
Although this mod functions as I want it to I am concerned whether the links in the drop down list are as attractive to Google as html links would be.

Sorry to keep linking paid modules, but they are really good...

Jon at WebsiteCM has the CDSEO mod for Manufacturer pages. It works great with Telafirma's manufacturer's dropdown menu. I think for the price (and zero frustration) they are both really worth it. Plus they support their customers even when we are annoying and in freakout mode. :-)

http://www.websitecm.com/x-cart-mods/cdseo-links-for-manufacturers.html
and
http://www.telafirma.com/store/product.php?productid=16134&cat=243&bestseller=Y

Your links are still in the sitemap generator (xml-sitemap if that's what you use...) they have only changed their location. Troll through and you'll find them.

phicaloma 05-11-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle

One last attempt that works, and let the manufacturer.php link anyway (doesn't rely on the list limit).

Manufacturers list limit (leave empty if unlimited): 0
(in Manufacturer otions menu in admin)

Code (replace the existing code, works for 4.1.9) :

File: /modules/Manufacturers/menu_manufacturers.tpl

------------------------------------------------

{* $Id: menu_manufacturers.tpl,v 1.4 2004/06/22 05:38:52 max Exp $ *}
{if $manufacturers_menu ne ''}
{capture name=menu}
<option value="0" selected>Recherche...</option>
<option value="{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturerid}">{$manufacturers_menu[mid].manufacturer|truncate:12:"...":true}</option>
{/section}
</select>
</form>
<br />
<a href="manufacturers.php" class="VertMenuItems">{$lng.lbl_other_manufacturer s}</a><br />
{/if}
{/capture}
{include file="menu.tpl" dingbats="dingbats_categorie.gif" menu_title=$lng.lbl_manufacturers menu_content=$smarty.capture.menu}
<br />

----------------------------------------------

Et voilЮ !

Philippe

ozchris 06-19-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbvideo
yeah .. I thought of that as I was closing my eyes last night to go to sleep. I feel kind of silly for thinking of it in the first place.

Ok ... so if I used a drop down menu with html links instead ... and there were hundreds of them ... would that have an impact on the speed of my site?

hi.

was thinking of using the manufacturer field in a similar way, for large number.

Just wondering what you ended up doing?

cheers

jbvideo 06-20-2008 07:07 AM

ozchris,

I did not end up using the manufacturer field for a large number.

I offer videos on my site and I use the manufacturer field to offer "full movies" or "scenes"

FTI 04-28-2010 04:10 AM

Is this going to work in 4.3.1, I've tried the code but they still show up like a list, not like dropdown... :?

Here is my code, where is my mistake?

Code:

{*
$Id: customer_manufacturers_list.tpl,v 1.11 2009/04/17 13:03:10 max Exp $
vim: set ts=2 sw=2 sts=2 et:
*}
<h1>{$lng.lbl_manufacturers}</h1>
{capture name=dialog}
  {include file="customer/main/navigation.tpl"}
<ul class="manufacturers-list list-item">
    {foreach from=$manufacturers item=v name=mfgs}
    <li><a  href="manufacturers.php?manufacturerid={$v.manufacturerid}">{$v.manufacturer|escape}</a></li>
    {/foreach}
 </ul>
 <select name="mfg" id="mfg">
{foreach from=$manufacturers item=v}
  <option  value="manufacturers.php?manufacturerid={$v.manufacturerid}">{$v.manufacturer|escape}</option>
 {/foreach}
</select>
  {include file="customer/main/navigation.tpl"}
{/capture}
{include file="customer/dialog.tpl" title=$lng.lbl_manufacturers  content=$smarty.capture.dialog noborder=true}

Thanks in advance!