X-Cart: shopping cart software

X-Cart forums (https://forum.x-cart.com/index.php)
-   News and Announcements (https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   X-Cart v4.1.10 released (https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=39609)

gary02140 05-19-2008 04:47 PM

Re: X-Cart v4.1.10 released

This really isn't happy experience for this upgrade. I followed all the instructions. I have made SSH enabled and used putty to access my store host. After executing the command of " for i in `sed -e 's/,.*$//g' < upgrade/4.1.9-4.1.10/file.lst`; do chmod 666 $i ; done", I started to login as admin from the bakc-end of my store. But I was rejected and got the following error message:

500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@yueteki.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I contacted my store's host, I was told that the host (hostmonster.com) does not allow such a global writing permisssion. I have no way to go. Really a terrible upgrading experience.

spingary 05-20-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary02140
This really isn't happy experience for this upgrade. I followed all the instructions. I have made SSH enabled and used putty to access my store host. After executing the command of " for i in `sed -e 's/,.*$//g' < upgrade/4.1.9-4.1.10/file.lst`; do chmod 666 $i ; done", I started to login as admin from the bakc-end of my store. But I was rejected and got the following error message:

500 Internal Server Error

I wonder if your hosting provider has mod_security running. Whenever I get 500 Internal Errors I suspect mod_security first. Find out if it's running on your Apache server. If it is, see if you can get them to disable it, at least until you upgrade process if completed, then re-enable it.

Sometimes, errors that occur during script execution trips mod_security's alerts and it intercepts it with a 500 Error. Once disabled, you can at least see some meaningful error messages.

Good luck.

gary02140 05-22-2008 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spingary
I wonder if your hosting provider has mod_security running. Whenever I get 500 Internal Errors I suspect mod_security first. Find out if it's running on your Apache server. If it is, see if you can get them to disable it, at least until you upgrade process if completed, then re-enable it.

Sometimes, errors that occur during script execution trips mod_security's alerts and it intercepts it with a 500 Error. Once disabled, you can at least see some meaningful error messages.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot! I solved the problem except a couple of files need to be upgraded manually.

Another question raised from this upgrade. What should I do after the upgrade? Are those patch files automatically deleted after the upgrade or should I delete them manually? Should I also change the file permission back to 644 for each patched file or the upgrade package have done it automatically? Or the host server has done it automatically?

Can I apply the mod_Security program to my store if my store host server does not have it installed?

pauldodman 06-04-2008 02:17 AM

I was really hoping that 4.1.10 would finally have a correct list of UK Counties (states), as they never used to be like this.
Blackpool, Bury, Derby, etc, etc - these are towns and cities - NOT counties/states.
They were correct in 4.1.7 and 4.1.8 (earlier versions weren't too bad - a few errors such as Cumberland instead of Cumbria) - but then went wrong in 4.1.9 and still wrong in 4.1.10 which have a mixture of some, but not all UK towns and cities with counties.
So a heads up for anyone using UK configurations, and a note to Qualiteam that this needs attention!

peterstagg 06-05-2008 01:22 PM

Paul does it have the channel Islands in there?
I noticed in my old old version that it didn't have them

peter

Light Speed 06-05-2008 01:25 PM

Like Guernsey :)

ambal 06-05-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldodman
I was really hoping that 4.1.10 would finally have a correct list of UK Counties (states), as they never used to be like this.
Blackpool, Bury, Derby, etc, etc - these are towns and cities - NOT counties/states.
They were correct in 4.1.7 and 4.1.8 (earlier versions weren't too bad - a few errors such as Cumberland instead of Cumbria) - but then went wrong in 4.1.9 and still wrong in 4.1.10 which have a mixture of some, but not all UK towns and cities with counties.
So a heads up for anyone using UK configurations, and a note to Qualiteam that this needs attention!

:oops: we'll take care of this in next X-Cart versions.

Meanwhile, states/counties can be configured in "States" section of the admin back-end.

E.g. see http://www.x-cart.com/demo/admin/states.php?country=GB for UK counties

pauldodman 06-06-2008 08:55 AM

Hi Peter and Light Speed,
Firstly, apologies, I didn't get a message that this thread had been updated.
No I don't think x-cart considers the Channel Islands at all.
The trouble with the UK is that it's not as easy to define states as the US. So finding an official list that everyone can use, including the couriers and post office is tricky. I mean the post office don't even use counties any more.
A lot of people would consider Channel Islands to be a country, so therefore the states wouldn't appear in the UK counties list anyway.
Sometimes it's best to add the Channel Islands as a country anyway, (x-cart doesn't have that either), rather than adding Guernsey and Jersey as counties. As most UK customers charge extra for delivery to the Channel Islands as well as need to remove vat, it can be easier to just have it as a country.
I don't think it's one that everyone will ever agree on - should they be added as counties, or as a country?

What I do know is that when I added this post - a member of Qualiteam discussed it with me and said that they were going to leave it like that and people could just remove the ones they didn't want. I don't really think that's workable - there are a lot of towns and cities included, it would take a while to do - and if you don't know the UK, you've got no chance.
So it's good to hear Alex say it will be sorted.
I think starting from the 4.1.8 counties is a good - it's easier to add a few counties than take out all of the towns and cities.
If people point out what is missing in states and countries and a consensus can be reached, I'm sure that will solve the problem for most people.

intel352 06-06-2008 10:57 AM

Just a note, I'm working with the 4.1.9 to 4.1.10 upgrade for a client, it appears the new towns/countries bit for the UK is not included in the upgrade (which is good).

So users upgrading to 4.1.10 won't have to worry about their towns/countries getting screwed up.

pauldodman 06-06-2008 11:40 AM

Are you sure - maybe they corrected them previously - but 4.1.9 was wrong to start with, 4.1.10 is also wrong, and the upgrade patch between the 2 doesn't make any changes to them.
So they may have already been corrected - but if they are using out of the box 4.1.9 states, then they will be wrong.

intel352 06-06-2008 11:55 AM

if they were wrong in 4.1.9, then they'll still be wrong in 4.1.10, it's just not going to get any worse, that is, with the 4.1.9 to 4.1.10 upgrade.

So likely what users should worry about, is if they're upgrading from 4.1.8 to 4.1.10 :-)

I reckon 4.1.9 users are already outta luck, lol

peterstagg 06-07-2008 01:07 PM

Ummm I didn't nean to open a can of worms here. But I guess this does need to be be right for us to handle the Channel Islands.
I just looked up the Association of British Counties website and it states that there are 86 counties, The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not amongst them.
According to other information the Channel Island bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey and the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea are Crown Dependencies and are possessions of The Crown in Right of the United Kingdom, as opposed to overseas territories or colonies of the United Kingdom.

They are in effect their own country but are "owned" by the British Crown and are not as such sovereign nations in their own right.

With all that in mind, we should not include the them under the UK as I first thought, but instead put them in as their own country.

Hope that clears it up a bit for everyone.

Cheers
Peter

markwhoo 06-07-2008 01:35 PM

I was asked to add Kent to the states for UK as it was missing...

I have also been asked to add another county / state, but cannot remember what it was.

I have been wondering what to do as far as validating or adding ALL of the proper counties to make a proper list for customers in the UK.

Right now we simply hope to hear from those who may have their county / state missing.

peterstagg 06-07-2008 01:48 PM

Hi Mark

Use this for the counties in Great Britain
http://www.midnight-online.co.uk/qualiteam/uk-counties.csv

It has all the 86 counties in Great Britian only Northern Ireland is not included in list.

Cheers
Peter

markwhoo 06-07-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterstagg
Hi Mark

Use this for the counties in Great Britain
http://www.midnight-online.co.uk/qualiteam/uk-counties.csv

It has all the 86 counties in Great Britian only Northern Ireland is not included in list.

Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter, this will help us look like we like our UK Customers as much as everyone else, lol. And of course we do, but with little things like this, one customer asked us if we had something against Kent for example, ha!

GeeCee 06-07-2008 11:12 PM

I deleted all the counties and changed the fields to be text boxes, not a drop down list. Problem solved. I should point out for non-UK people that the post office doesn't consider county as a critical part of the address, just post code and post town (and house name & number obviously).

craichead 06-11-2008 11:54 PM

Upgrade from 4.1.3 to 4.1.10 Works!

Just a note to say that I successfully upgraded my heavily modded store from 4.1.3 to 4.1.10 and all seems to be well. A couple minor issues I need to get resolved with some customiztions but verrrry minor... Took me about 60 hours in total!

Anyhoo... good luck with the upgrading folks.

Best,

B

GeeCee 06-12-2008 12:02 AM

> Took me about 60 hours in total!

Ouch!

craichead 06-12-2008 09:41 AM

Shouldn't take most that long but I had a lot of custom code to wade through. That and some of my pre-packaged mods were even customized further (one mod took me the better part of two days to get through). As it was my first time upgrading x-cart, I wanted to be reaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy careful. That said, I could probably do the same work in 30-40 hours next time around.

Wish x-cart was as easy to upgrade as drupal & wordpress!

:)

Blayne

RichieRich 06-12-2008 11:10 AM

60 hours to upgrade? not bad

EN4U 06-12-2008 11:38 AM

I paid qualteam to do it..... i just didnt have the time and the price to do isnt that bad. Peace of mind also that it will be done right.

craichead 06-12-2008 12:32 PM

I thought about having them do it as well. They were going to charge about $650 which isn't bad but they said that all the custom mods and code I'd have to take up with the developers. Some of the functionality that my cart has is very subtle and would be easy for anyone to miss who doesn't know the full history. So... I didn't want to pay $650 only to pay 3rd party dudes another $650 plus to get their mods to work and such...

Also, I just wanted to see if I could do it! :) And I did. Great sense of accomplishment and saved myself a decent chunk of change.

Now I know my cart like the back of my hand... Well... almost.

Did it all locally so no fear of screwing up my live site.

Also... for those reading that are not at all experienced with xcart and the code languages involved... I have a good bit of experience so I wasn't driving completely blind.

Anyhoo... Good times.

Cheers.

elmirage001 06-15-2008 07:20 AM

Hello All,

Here is a awesome tool to help with upgrade file changes and it's free too!

http://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/index.html

Spend the time to learn how to use it and you won't be sorry. I don't know if this is the best tool or not but it works great for me.

Paul

intel352 06-15-2008 07:32 AM

Nice looking app. Dunno which is better, here's another: http://www.winmerge.org

ScrapOrchard 06-16-2008 11:12 PM

Stupid Question #7793831:

The upgrade instructions state:

Quote:

2. Uncompress this archive to the directory where your X-Cart has been installed.

What if you downloaded the file and decompressed it on your computer because you don't know how to do all that fancy SSH stuff (is it SSH?)? What if you have to FTP with an FTP client like.. CyberDuck? Do you just upload the files/folders into the X-Cart directory.. will it accomplish the same thing? I am assuming the new files nee to overwrite the old ones...

which brings me to Stupid Question #7793832:

Do I need to download any files or templates I have altered, upload the upgrade and then re-upload the altered files/templates to ensure my site will look the same and have the same features? Because it has taken me months to get everything remotely close to looking the way I want it too!!!

Thank you in advance!

carpeperdiem 06-17-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapOrchard
because you don't know how to do all that fancy SSH stuff

You really should use the most appropriate tool for the job.

The command line will allow you to:
1. in one command, place everything where it needs to be;
2. ownership and permissions are all accounted for;
3. you can use the file.lst for changing permissions

Can you use FTP? It will take you significantly longer. You will risk overwriting files that you may not want to. You risk making a mess. IN MY OPINION, unless you really know your stuff, do not try to upgrade wit FTP. You are better off learning the 3 or 4 commands in the command line and then just do it. It will be time well spent.

GeeCee 06-17-2008 03:10 AM

There is the issue of access though. I had to specially request SSH access to my hosting.

ScrapOrchard 06-17-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
You really should use the most appropriate tool for the job.

The command line will allow you to:
1. in one command, place everything where it needs to be;
2. ownership and permissions are all accounted for;
3. you can use the file.lst for changing permissions

Can you use FTP? It will take you significantly longer. You will risk overwriting files that you may not want to. You risk making a mess. IN MY OPINION, unless you really know your stuff, do not try to upgrade wit FTP. You are better off learning the 3 or 4 commands in the command line and then just do it. It will be time well spent.

Thanks for the advice.

So to recap.. Can I FTP the files? Do I need to download/save any files I made changes or modifications to and reupload them afterwards? Also, I would assume I would need to edit the newer of those files and paste in the changes I previously made.. as I would guess some of the files I modified have been updated with the new X-Cart version?

craichead 06-17-2008 07:24 AM

The below assumes that you know what you're doing ;)

1. Can I FTP the files?: Yes

2. Do I need to download/save any files I made changes or modifications to and reupload them afterwards?: Yes. You should back up your whole site for that matter. You generally shouldn't just upload the old files. You need to compare the old against the new and add any new code that needs to be there.

3. Also, I would assume I would need to edit the newer of those files and paste in the changes I previously made.. as I would guess some of the files I modified have been updated with the new X-Cart version? - Aye... Addressed in Question 2.

You should really do this all locally on your computer first - setup your computer as a web server and get to work. When all works then you can move your local site to your live server.

The tools I use (Mac OsX)

Cyberduck
Text Wrangler - Text Editor and File Comparing
Terminal (For SSH)
24" Samsung Monitor ;)
Caffeine
Fickle Ego
Etc...

Best,

B

P.S. Carp is right. Get SSH access and google the commands you need to know when you need to know them (like how to change file permissions recursively and such). You'll be glad you did and you'll add a badge to your geek jacket. If your host won't give you ssh, look elsewhere.

ScrapOrchard 06-17-2008 08:02 AM

Thanks!!!! Since I am a really a beginner when it comes to servers, MySQL, PHP... and I have several Technical Support points.. would they do the upgrade/install for me? I see they do installs but I didn't see anything about upgrades?

craichead 06-17-2008 12:31 PM

Yep they do.

Best,

B

kustomrides 07-09-2008 10:31 PM

Got about three SQL errors on the init file after uploading the 4.1.9 - 4.1.10

So abandoning the upgrade for now.

enterfusion 08-12-2008 12:16 AM

I upgraded from 4.1.9 to 4.1.10 and all my products have disappeared from the front end. The categories are there but no product show. In the back-end ADMIN they showup just fine. I have made some attempts to revert certain files out of my SVN, to see if they are the problem, but no luck. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

-Help

Ene 08-12-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enterfusion
I upgraded from 4.1.9 to 4.1.10 and all my products have disappeared from the front end. The categories are there but no product show. In the back-end ADMIN they showup just fine. I have made some attempts to revert certain files out of my SVN, to see if they are the problem, but no luck. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

-Help

Try 'Force cache generation' on the 'Adinistration -> Summary -> Tools' page.

kevinrm 08-25-2008 03:56 PM

About the only problem I had with this upgrade was that it added an extra USPS shipping method which seemed to be enabled by default. A customer turned around and ordered something and decided to use that weird method which meant I got no shipping charge.

jillsybte 08-28-2008 09:58 AM

I am planning to upgrade from 4.1.8 to 4.1.10 and am in the process of installing and testing 4.1.10 now. I am adding some mods and turning on some modules I didn't have in 4.1.8, so I'm doing a fresh install and test while my 4.1.8 store remains live and untouched.

I haven't done much to change anything yet and have only turned on some modules, set up shipping (UPS and USPS), and payment methods (PayPal Pro, etc.). After setting up my PayPal method in test mode, I wanted to try a test order. I allow customers to order with or without registering so I have anonymous checkout enabled and that works fine in my 4.1.8 store. However, in 4.1.10, I tried entering my customer info with no username or password and am getting the invalid username message when I try to continue. There is no asterisk next to the username and password fields, but I'm getting the warning and am not allowed to continue if I leave these fields blank. I am using Fast Lane Checkout in both versions.

EDIT: I found the problem and fixed it. In 4.1.10, the include/register.php file has a test on line 156 that checks to make sure that the username contains only lower-case letters, numbers, and the _ and - characters. This will not be a problem for most users. However, in my config.php file, I changed the anonymous prefix (line 401) from anonymous to Guest because that's what I have in my live store. The G was causing the line 156 test to fail. So I expanded the allowed characters in the username by modifying the preg_match in include/register.php, and my test anonymous checkout went as I wanted. I would have needed to do this anyway since I have current users who originally registered with usernames containing their email addresses, capital letters, etc., and I would like to continue allowing this flexibility.

Thanks,
Jill

PhilJ 09-03-2008 09:03 AM

v4.1.11 has just appeared in my file area ... 8O

"Access Denied" to downloading files though...

EN4U 09-03-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilJ

Jesus, here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!

ambal 09-04-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilJ

Oops :oops:

Sorry for that. It should be working now.