Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Adding products to a static page

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 PM

X-Adept

Default Adding products to a static page

So here's the deal, my client has been pushing his Google AdWords pretty hard and a lot of the static pages are starting to populate the top 10 to 20 on a lot of the search terms that are bring people to the site.

He asks me the other day if we could put a specific set of items on each static page. For Example, since he sells dogs we have static pages setup for Yorkies, Dachshunds, etc. He wants to have the static page pop up and just show Yorkie's or whatever the topic of that page is. I guess it would be a product list displayed based on a search term.

Anyway, is this possible?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:22 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Adding products to a static page

Sure this could be accomplished easily. First you need to have "Parse Smarty tags in the content of embedded static pages" checked under General Settings.

Put the products you want to display in Featured Products for a certain category.

Then in your static page:
Code:
{include file="customer/main/products.tpl" products=$f_products}

Then in pages.php:
Code:
// Change X to your pageid # and Y to the id of the category you want to display for that page if ($pageid == 'X') { $cat = Y; include './featured_products.php'; }
After...
Code:
if ($page_data) { $filename = $pages_dir.$page_data["filename"]; $page_content = func_file_get($filename, true); if ($page_content === false) { $page_content = func_get_langvar_by_name("lbl_page_not_found", array(), false, true); }
And before...
Code:
$smarty->assign("page_data", $page_data); $smarty->assign("page_content", $page_content); $location[] = array($page_data["title"], "");

I got this code a long time ago, not certain that it applies to your version. But it should point you in the right direction at least. I believe the original code was posted by Jon, but I can't find the thread.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
john99 (08-08-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 PM

X-Adept

I finally got around to trying this and I get this error on the one page I tried it on:

Error: Smarty error: [in evaluated template line 307]: syntax error: unrecognized tag: mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; (Smarty_Compiler.class.php, line 446) in /home/littlepu/public_html/include/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1093

http://www.littlepuppiesonline.com/Yorkie-Poo-Puppies.html
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM

X-Guru

It looks like the problem is related to the pages html code. I see this stuff when users try and copy/paste from word documents into the WYSIWIG editor. Very frustrating.

What I would do, is start a new static page, one without a link showing. Then just add the code to display the products. Should be easier to test what the problem is, if we reduce the unknowns by having a clean page to start with. At least the error should change. Let me know.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design