Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Upgrade your site to Smarty 2.6.2

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 06-03-2004, 05:58 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtrade
The new top.inc has screwed up a lot of things.

Here's a quick follow up on this issue -

I upgraded Smarty to 2.6.2 using the instructions on this thread. Smarty 2.6.2 now uses $_GET instead of HTTP_GET_VARS. Now, x-cart 3.5.8 does not allow the variable $_GET with the new top.inc.php file, hence {$smarty.get.XXXX} won't work. In fact any call you make to $_GET or $_POST or $_COOKIE will not work.

(The new top.inc.php was written to prevent possible security issues with people running servers with register_global set to "on". If you don't have registered globals turned on, I don't think this new top.inc.php file helps you much, but I am still waiting for a confirmation from x-cart regarding this question. I have posted a modified top.inc.php file at the bottom of this post for anyone who wants to use smarty 2.6.2 with x-cart 3.5.8. UNDERSTAND THAT THIS CODE MAY NOT BE SECURE.)

If you continue to us 2.5.0 you will not encounter this bug because they still use the deprecated variables $HTTP_GET_VARS, $HTTP_POST_VARS, etc..

I emailed x-cart about this an they said they are so far not plannning on updating their code to use $_GET, $_POST, etc., because it would require a lot rewriting. IMHO that reasoning sucks.

You can find out more about these php variables here - http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.predefined.php.

AGAIN NOTE THAT THIS CODE MAY NOT BE SECURE (ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE REGISTER GLOBAL TURNED ON).

Code:
<?php /*****************************************************************************\ +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | X-Cart | | Copyright (c) 2001-2004 Ruslan R. Fazliev <rrf@rrf.ru> | | All rights reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | PLEASE READ THE FULL TEXT OF SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT IN THE "COPYRIGHT" | | FILE PROVIDED WITH THIS DISTRIBUTION. THE AGREEMENT TEXT IS ALSO AVAILABLE | | AT THE FOLLOWING URL: http://www.x-cart.com/license.php | | | | THIS AGREEMENT EXPRESSES THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ON WHICH YOU MAY USE | | THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM AND ASSOCIATED DOCUMENTATION THAT RUSLAN R. | | FAZLIEV (hereinafter referred to as "THE AUTHOR") IS FURNISHING OR MAKING | | AVAILABLE TO YOU WITH THIS AGREEMENT (COLLECTIVELY, THE "SOFTWARE"). | | PLEASE REVIEW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT | | CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE. BY INSTALLING, | | COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AND YOUR COMPANY | | (COLLECTIVELY, "YOU") ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO THE TERMS OF THIS | | LICENSE AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND BY THIS | | AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE. VARIOUS COPYRIGHTS AND | | OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS PROTECT THE SOFTWARE. THIS | | AGREEMENT IS A LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT GIVES YOU LIMITED RIGHTS TO USE | | THE SOFTWARE AND NOT AN AGREEMENT FOR SALE OR FOR TRANSFER OF TITLE.| | THE AUTHOR RETAINS ALL RIGHTS NOT EXPRESSLY GRANTED BY THIS AGREEMENT. | | | | The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Ruslan R. Fazliev | | Portions created by Ruslan R. Fazliev are Copyright (C) 2001-2004 | | Ruslan R. Fazliev. All Rights Reserved. | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ \*****************************************************************************/ # # $Id: top.inc.php,v 1.1.2.8 2004/05/26 12:16:05 mclap Exp $ # if (!defined('XCART_START')) { define('XCART_START',1); # # Remove results of automatic variables registration then register_globals=on # foreach (get_defined_vars() as $__key=>$__val) { if (defined('USE_TRUSTED_POST_VARIABLES') && $__key == "trusted_post_variables") continue; if (defined('XCART_INSTALL') && $__key == "module_definition") continue; if (!in_array($__key, array("HTTP_GET_VARS","HTTP_POST_VARS","HTTP_SERVER_VARS","HTTP_ENV_VARS","HTTP_COOKIE_VARS","HTTP_POST_FILES","__key","__val","$_GET","$_POST"))) { unset($$__key); } } unset($__key); unset($__val); # # Directories structure definitions # # # Real path to the directory where X-Cart is installed # If you have problems with __FILE__ constant definition on your server # you can specify path directly. For example: # $xcart_dir = '/home/user/public_html/xcart'; # $xcart_dir = realpath(dirname(__FILE__)); # Directories location definition # Examples: # Customer's scripts are placed into the X-Cart subdirectory: # define ('DIR_CUSTOMER', '/<name_of_directory>'); # define ('DIR_CUSTOMER', '/customer'); # define ('DIR_ADMIN', '/admin'); # define ('DIR_ADMIN', '/service_area/administration'); # # (!) Customer's scripts are placed into the root X-Cart directory: # define ('DIR_CUSTOMER', ''); # define ('DIR_CUSTOMER', '/customer'); define ('DIR_ADMIN', '/admin'); define ('DIR_PROVIDER', '/provider'); define ('DIR_PARTNER', '/partner'); # # Note: DIR_PARTNER is valid only for installed X-Affiliate module # } ?>
Old 06-03-2004, 06:08 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by machnhed1
I emailed x-cart about this an they said they are so far not plannning on updating their code to use $_GET, $_POST, etc., because it would require a lot rewriting. IMHO that reasoning sucks.
I agree. That sucks. Especially since I have seen a significant performance increase with Smarty 2.6.2. X-cart seriously needs to do some code cleanup and start working towards compliance. So what if it is a lot of re-writing? That is the software game. Evolve and refine or die.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:17 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpboss
X-cart seriously needs to do some code cleanup and start working towards compliance. So what if it is a lot of re-writing? That is the software game. Evolve and refine or die.

Hear, hear. I did a search of the 3.5.8 distribution and there are 472 occrences of the variable $HTTP_%. So in theory you could do a massive find a replace.

By the way, I also checked the 4.0 alpha distribution and it too is using 2.5.0. Seems to me like that would be an ideal time to update the code.

JMO
Old 06-03-2004, 06:27 AM

X-Man

This belongs in Rants or something I know, so I apologise in advance for getting off topic.

The irony here is that X-cart expects us to upgrade to fix bugs or to deal with security issues, yet they balk at having to re-code to improve their product and make it compliant?

4.0 would be the ideal time to get the code cleaned up. I will personally be pretty disappointed if they don't. I just finished buying my third licence and have plans for dozens more. A regressive attitude towards development is not a good sales pitch.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:56 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpboss
This belongs in Rants or something I know, so I apologise in advance for getting off topic.

The irony here is that X-cart expects us to upgrade to fix bugs or to deal with security issues, yet they balk at having to re-code to improve their product and make it complaint?

4.0 would be the ideal time to get the code cleaned up. I will personally be pretty disappointed if they don't. I just finished buying my third licence and have plans for dozens more. A regressive attitude towards development is not a good sales pitch.

this is exactly why everyone needs to make their point here

http://forum.x-cart.com/viewtopic.php?t=10737&highlight=

lets get all these problems ironed out before the official release of 4.0

I would rather see a delayed release of 4.0 with loads of things fixed even if it caused 1 awkward upgrade rather then having to do 10 upgrades later down the line that only fix things that should have been right in th start

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 06-03-2004, 06:59 AM

X-Man

Thanks Shan. I didn't know about that thread. I assumed the beta test was only for development partners.

I'll post there shortly.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:21 AM

X-Guru

as far as i know everyone can have a blast on it and post their bugs / thoughts to the thread i mentioned

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 06-03-2004, 12:41 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
I upgraded Smarty to 2.6.2 using the instructions on this thread. Smarty 2.6.2 now uses $_GET instead of HTTP_GET_VARS. Now, x-cart 3.5.8 does not allow the variable $_GET with the new top.inc.php file, hence {$smarty.get.XXXX} won't work. In fact any call you make to $_GET or $_POST or $_COOKIE will not work.

Currently using Smarty 2.5.0 and $smarty.get.mode is used throughout our site. The only current loss of function occurs in PHP in which we have had to switch to $HTTP_WHATEVER instead of $_WHATEVER.

We don't use webmaster mode at all and I would really love to upgrade to Smarty 2.6.2 (without screwing up our .tpl's). Is there any way I can make our site compatible (excepting Webmaster Mode) with Smarty 2.6.2 and Xcart 3.5.8??
MySQL 5.1.68
Apache 2.2.23
Old 06-06-2004, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I did a search of the 3.5.8 distribution and there are 472 occrences of the variable $HTTP_%. So in theory you could do a massive find a replace.
JMO

Does this theory works in practice, anyone? It's not a big deal to do massive find and replace. But it probably will bring a lot more work down the road when it's time to upgrade, almost every file will be affected in upgrade.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:22 AM

eXpert

Quote:
(The new top.inc.php was written to prevent possible security issues with people running servers with register_global set to "on". If you don't have registered globals turned on, I don't think this new top.inc.php file helps you much, but I am still waiting for a confirmation from x-cart regarding this question.

The following is my question to x-cart support followed by their response:

MY QUESTION:
"If we have register_global=off on our server, would it be ok to at $_GET and $_POST to the array or would this pose a potential security risk?"

THEIR RESPONSE:
"Theoretically, no. There wouldn't be any security risk."

So, it appears that is you have registered globals turned off on your machine you can use the code I previously posted. In hindsight, this makes sense given the fact that these variables are all just aliases anyway.

Hope this helps
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions