Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 5.1.8: a quick release with a hot-fix

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 AM

X-Cart team

Default X-Cart 5.1.8: a quick release with a hot-fix

Hi X-Carters. The X-Cart 5 team took decision to fix a couple of annoying bugs so we released a new version - it's 5.1.8. The store is already inviting you to apply the updates.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Default Re: X-Cart 5.1.8: a quick release with a hot-fix

What are the fixes in 5.1.8 ?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 AM

X-Cart team

Fixes
Code:
2014-10-28 - [Bug] Cloud Zoom: problem with repeated image, when it is small, is fixed. #BUG-1140 2014-10-28 - [Bug] "Edit" link did not work for destination zones. #BUG-1137 2014-10-24 - [Bug] "Edit" link did not work for attributes in groups. #BUG-1127

These are all XC5 changelogs, btw: http://kb.x-cart.com/display/XDD/Changelog
Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Veteran

As long as there are bugs fixings - this is not a bug but it is very annoying and in the way:

When Webmaster Kit is active its "enable/disable" link block sits at the top right corner of the screen perfectly covering "your store", "help" and "profile" links - so unless I disable the module or be creative with the window content scroll I can't log out of admin.

I don't want to modify its css file as next upgrade will overwrite it, I don't want to have custom css as this is for development purposes and I need the cart to stay as stock as possible.

So - please consider making this link block movable so it can be clicked on and dragged to different place if needed.

If needed I can also file a bug report. Actually I will right now.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
Ksenia (10-28-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:41 AM

X-Cart team

Thank you for bug report, Steve.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 AM

Advanced Member

downloaded and installed the 5.1.7 install of x-cart a week or two ago. played with the settings a little. installed no special modules, nor enabled/disabled any of the ones downloaded with it -- just left whatever was enabled or disabled by default, as they were.

now, I see a 5.1.8 update. okay let's try this.

hmm, all-or-nothing. I cannot selectively apply a single update and assess its impact before going on to do the next. Where do I file an RFE for this? because the all-or-nothing approach is a bit of a support nightmare if something breaks and prevents other updates from being applied.

well there's only three things .. 5.1.8 core, PIN Codes (disabled), and 2Checkout.com (enabled).. what the heck let's try it anyway....

"/!\ Your store has some modules available only to Premium license owners. To continue with the upgrade, you must either purchase a Premium license, or remove the following modules from your store:
PIN Codes (by X-Cart team)"

um, if this is a premium module, why was it installed along with the default 5.1.7 install? and since it's disabled anyway and requires me to either "Purchase X-Cart License to enable this add-on or activate existing key" why not just update it anyway ?

Sincerely confused,

Scott
Old 10-31-2014, 04:59 AM

X-Cart team

Hi Scott!

Sorry for the confusion happened.

Let me please explain all points you mentioned.

1) Upgrade all or nothing. I agree, it would be nice to have an ability to upgrade only particular module or core without touching over components. We are already working on it and it will be implemented in the near future.

2) Why PIN codes (premium module) is included into default package? During X-Cart trial, we want to give our clients a way to test the whole functionality, so we give an access to premium modules at that stage. Once you tested the full package you may decide whether you need only basic functionality and stay with free edition or you need full-featured shopping cart and buy Business package. We do believe, it is better to give a merchant a chance to look at whole functionality right at beginning rather than forcing them to pay just to look at the modules they are going to have.

3) The reason why you have to disable Pin Codes is that you cannot use (including upgrade) premium modules unless you paid for them. If your module is disabled, but still installed, it potentially keeps the module data and that is why it has to be upgraded. Yes, the module will be upgraded even though it is disabled.

Getting back to your situation, you have three options:
1) Register free license. Then, all premium modules will be removed and you will be able to successfully upgrade.
2) Remove Pin Codes and upgrade.
3) Buy Business license and upgrade your store with Pin Codes.

Surely, Scott, should you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

Tony.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:25 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
Hi Scott!

Sorry for the confusion happened.

Let me please explain all points you mentioned.

1) Upgrade all or nothing. I agree, it would be nice to have an ability to upgrade only particular module or core without touching over components. We are already working on it and it will be implemented in the near future.

Excellent, I look forward to it!

Quote:
2) Why PIN codes (premium module) is included into default package? During X-Cart trial, we want to give our clients a way to test the whole functionality, so we give an access to premium modules at that stage. Once you tested the full package you may decide whether you need only basic functionality and stay with free edition or you need full-featured shopping cart and buy Business package. We do believe, it is better to give a merchant a chance to look at whole functionality right at beginning rather than forcing them to pay just to look at the modules they are going to have.

Ahh I see, so my store is still in the 'before I've decided' state, where I have yet to activate the business or free licences, so this module is still part of the store install until I do.

Quote:
3) The reason why you have to disable Pin Codes is that you cannot use (including upgrade) premium modules unless you paid for them. If your module is disabled, but still installed, it potentially keeps the module data and that is why it has to be upgraded. Yes, the module will be upgraded even though it is disabled.

Getting back to your situation, you have three options:
1) Register free license. Then, all premium modules will be removed and you will be able to successfully upgrade.
2) Remove Pin Codes and upgrade.
3) Buy Business license and upgrade your store with Pin Codes.

Surely, Scott, should you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

Tony.

I find #2 a tad confusing, as if I am still in the evaluation stages, but want to be certain to get all the security patches in place as well as other bugfixes so I can give everything a full evaluation, _preventing_ the upgrade until I remove something I may potentially want to test _after_ the upgrade seems a bit .. well... illogical

Thanks for the quick response !
Old 10-31-2014, 11:18 PM

X-Adept

What if you download 5.1.8 and try to run install over your 5.1.7, it may just work and keep the modules you want to try. Clone the site first then try it btw.

Also you would need to use the 5.1.7 authorisation code as you'll be using 5.1.7 database.
2.4.6-31.el7.centos

4.6.x stalled for now

5.2.6 developing
Old 11-03-2014, 03:30 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Godin
I find #2 a tad confusing, as if I am still in the evaluation stages, but want to be certain to get all the security patches in place as well as other bugfixes so I can give everything a full evaluation, _preventing_ the upgrade until I remove something I may potentially want to test _after_ the upgrade seems a bit .. well... illogical

In this case, it might be easier for you to just download 5.1.8 and install it from scratch.

I agree, that current behaviour is a bit illogical, but upgrade is designed to check that you are using the modules you paid for. We cannot disable this security checking. Although, thanks for suggestion. We will think how it can be improved in case there are more confusions about such behaviour.

Tony.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements